‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Fifty Eight

The four days that I was in Texas went by rather quickly, one day I spent showing Pat around Dallas, showing him where I grew up and where I spent my team. I introduced him to my old Coach and we ended up taking some pictures with the team that my old Coach now ran. Another day was spent with Emma and Pat, we were at Mike’s grave for hours, cleaning it up, not that it was dirty; I just picked a good weekend to come home because Mike’s custom headstone was finished and placed at his grave. Emma placed a recent ultrasound picture of their son on the grave and a bundle of flowers.

Pat and I were back in Pittsburgh; I was helping Emma into my Escalade while Pat grabbed our luggage and threw it into the back of the car. I drove to Emma’s home and parked in the driveway, usually I would just park in my driveway and have them walk, but I wasn’t taking the chance with Emma six months pregnant.

We walked her into the house, it was the middle of the afternoon on a Tuesday, Nick was at school and wouldn’t be back until tonight since after classes he had football practice. Pat and I got Emma comfortable in her home and then left, we were actually kicked out because Emma wanted to sleep, she was getting exhausted easily because of this pregnancy.

Pat and I were in my car; I drove the two second drive to my house and pulled into my garage. I sighed and then walked into the house, hearing Pat dragging our luggage behind him. I thanked him and then opened the door to hear the dogs barking and knowing that they were gated in the kitchen. Pat walked into the house and placed the luggage in the living room and I released the hounds, smiling as we both were attacked by the happy puppies.

I heard my cell phone going off and looking to see that Sidney was calling me. I smiled and answered the phone, “Oh captain, my captain, what can I do for ye?”

“Are you high?” Sidney chuckled.

“Nope, sleep deprived- What can I do for you?” I asked and looked towards Pat to see him smirking and shaking his head.

“Duper, Cookie and Kuni are in town- They’re kids have school and we’ve been going to Southpointe,” he said, talking about our practice arena, “You wanna come since you’re back- I know Coach wants to see how you are on the ice since you haven’t been on since training.”

“When?”

“Tomorrow morning, we’ll be there for about four hours, so tell Kane he’ll have to snuggle with your pillow-“

“Fuck off,” I laughed and looked towards Pat to see him giving me a confused look, “How early are we talkin’, Crosby?”

“Six,” he said and I cursed, “Quit whinin’!”

“But I wanna sleep,” I whined and Sidney laughed.

“You can sleep when you’re dead!” he said and I flinched at the comment, I know he didn’t mean it the way it came out, “Shit- Mags-“

“It’s cool,” I breathed and leaned against my wall, looking down, “Not your fault.”

“Sorry,” he sighed, “I didn’t mean-“

“It’s cool, Sid, I know,” I said and gave a little smile towards Pat, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“All right,” he said and sighed, “I’ll let the guys know- I know G’s comin’ in, in about two weeks- Try to get some sleep, Mags.”

“I’ll try,” I giggled, “Thanks Sid,” we said our goodbyes and then I hung up the phone and looked towards Pat and told him the plan for tomorrow, of course he whined, “I’ll be back before you’re probably awake,” I smiled and Pat chuckled and then walked over towards me, wrapped his arms around my waist and pressed his lips against mine.

“You sure?”

“Yup,” I said and giggled, “And if I’m not there when you open your eyes, close them and keep ‘em closed until you feel me sneak back into bed.”

Pat let out a laughed and shook his head, “You’re special,” he chuckled and I smiled and shrugged my shoulders, “But I still love you.”

“Thanks,” I said and he smiled and pressed his lips against mine and pushed me against the wall. I groaned into his kiss and slid my hands up his shoulders and into his hair; smiling at the feeling he always seemed to give me.

-Kane-
I sucked in the morning air and looked around the room to find that Maggie wasn’t there. I sighed and looked over at the clock to see that it was after eleven, I figured she would be back by now because she had practice at six. I pushed myself out of bed and then walked out of the room and down the stairs, as I got halfway down the stairs I heard voices and movement in the kitchen. I walked into the kitchen and saw Crosby and his girlfriend standing there, Maggie was making food and talking to the two and I let out a yawn and stretched.

“He’s alive!” I heard and turned my head to see Dupuis and Kunitz sitting in the living room. I blinked a few times, wondering if I was really seeing them before they stood up and walked towards me.

“You’re not dreamin’, man,” Kunitz said and I rolled my eyes.

‘…Gotta remember I’m in Pittsburgh, of course there’ll be Penguins…’ I thought and saw Dupuis lean against the wall in front of me.

“I hear you’re goin’ to be stealin’ our Maggie,” he said and I just looked at him.

“Gunna make her a hawk, eh?” Kunitz asked and I smirked and shrugged my shoulders.

“Gunna try,” I said and they chuckled.

“We’ll try to fix that,” Dupuis said and I looked at him, he was smirking, but it looking more like a teasing smirk, at least I hope it was, “Can’t have us loosin’ our secret weapon,” he chuckled and then patted my shoulder, “Hope you’re takin’ care of her- Because if you’re not, you know there’ll be a lot of guys kickin’ your ass to kingdom come.”

“I am and I know,” I said and the two chuckled and nodded their heads.

“Oh, Pat, you’re awake,” I heard and turned my head to see Maggie, “I was about to come and get you- Lunch is almost ready.”

“What are you making?” I asked and Maggie smiled towards me.

“Just got some steaks on the grill,” Maggie said and I nodded my head.

“Where are they?” I asked and Maggie nudged her head towards the door.

“Nicky’s cookin’ them, he’s out there with Emma,” she said and I nodded my head.

I walked into the kitchen and then pushed myself up on the counter and looked towards Crosby; he was talking to his girlfriend and smirking at something. I looked towards Maggie and saw her putting something in the oven and then looking into a pot that was on top of the stove.

“Need help with something?” I asked and she looked at me and shook her head.

“Nope, I’m all good,” she smiled and then walked over towards me and pushed herself up next to me.

“How’s Emma, Mags?” Kunitz asked as he and Dupuis walked into the kitchen.

“She’s doin’ all right- I mean, I can’t say she’s doin’ wonderful, we’ve only been back a day,” she said and they nodded their heads, “Hopefully with her back in Pittsburgh, things will get a little easier,” Maggie said and then sighed, “She found out the sex of the baby.”

Everyone’s head seemed to shoot towards her when she said that, “Troy Michael Marshall,” she said and she looked down and then back at her teammates, “She’s havin’ a boy.”

“So another hockey player,” Sidney smirked and I chuckled and looked towards Maggie.

“Boy or girl, we were going to have another hockey player- Another Marshall,” she said and I placed my hand on her knee.

“You think that if it was a girl- There would be another Maggie Marshall?” Dupuis asked and I looked at her, “What about your cousin- Dana?” he asked and Maggie nodded her head, “She trying?”

“She plans on signing up for the 2014 NHL Draft,” Maggie said proudly and the guys chuckled, “I hope that there’ll be another girl in the NHL.”

“Say she does get drafted,” Kunitz started, “Will we pick her?”

“Don’t know,” Sidney said, “It’ll be up to Mario and Ray,” he said and looked at Maggie, “But if she’s anything like you, and if she keeps doin’ what I saw in training,” Crosby smirked, “A lot of teams are going to fight for her.”

“Hell, she might even be a Hawk,” I said and the three guys glared at me.

“You’ll already have one Marshall, you’re not having both!” Crosby said and I chuckled and looked towards Maggie to see her smirked.

“We’ll just see about that,” I said and Crosby rolled his eyes.

“Now, now, don’t be fightin’ over little ole me,” Maggie giggled and I smirked towards her.

We heard the kitchen door slid open and turned our heads to see Nick walking in with a huge plate of steaks, “Lunch!”