‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Sixty

-Maggie-
“Now, now, Maggie, Anna, you two need to play nice,” Aunt Lisa said as Anna and I just looked at each other.

“How was England?” Amber asked from next to me.

“Wonderful, I-“

“Why’d you come back?” I asked and Anna looked at me.

“I missed my family,” she stated.

“Or you ran out of money,” I answered with a bored tone. Anna and I were having a stare down, until she broke it and looked around the backyard full of family members.

“Where’s Mike?” she asked and I stiffened.

“What?” I asked, wondering if I heard her correctly.

“I asked where’s Mike, you know- You’re brother- Twin- Jesus, Maggie, how many blows to the head have you had in your- Whatever you play-“

“Hockey,” I growled and glared at her.

“You don’t know, Anna?” Amber asked and Anna looked at her confused.

“Know what? What was I supposed to know?” Anna asked and looked back at me and then Amber.

“Quit fuckin’ with me, Anna,” I growled and clenched my fists, “It’s not cool- Not about Mikey.”

“What the hell are you talking about? I just asked where he was because I didn’t see him here!” Anna stated and I gulped.

‘…How could she not know? I mean, yeah, she’s been away in England for the past few months, but- How does she not know?...’ I thought and just looked at my older cousin, the cousin that was always jealous of Mike and I, even Amber, and probably Dana too, for always being in the spotlight for hockey or figure skating.

“Anna,” Amber looked at me, I looked at her, we both looked at the blonde bimbo in front of us that we were sad to call family, “Mike passed away.”

“When?” she asked, completely unfazed by this news.

I glared at her, whether she knew or not, she was messing with us now, this was her style, she liked to mess with your head, “Are you serious, Anna?

“Yeah, I’m serious! No one told me! Not a text, email, phone call- Hell, not even a damn letter!” she stated, “When did he die?”

I flinched at the word, “April,” I breathed and looked at her, she just sucked in a breath.

“How?”

“He was hit pretty badly by another player,” Amber answered for me and I mentally thanked her.

“Oh, so he died on the ice,” she said and I shot my head up, “During a game?” Amber nodded her head, “At least he kicked it doing something he liked.”

“You fuckin’ bitch,” I growled and when to punch her, but two of my Uncle’s stepped in and I ended up punching my Uncle Mike’s back, the two of them were looking at Anna.

“That’s enough, Anna! I know you knew about Mike! You mother told me she told you over the phone a few days after it happened,” Uncle Carl said and I glared at her.

“She was going to punch me- And you’re yelling at me?!” Anna growled, “She was going to punch me- Again!”

“You deserve it, you bitch,” I growled and wanted to plow through my Uncle’s and finally deliver the punch, but my Uncle’s held me back.

“You always take her side! You’ve always ever taken her side!” Anna whined, “I’m your family too!”

“Then ACT like it!” I barked and broke out of my Uncle’s arms, turned around and walked away, knowing that everyone’s eyes were on the situation.

-Kane-
“So what’s up with them?” I asked Dana as we leaned against the house and looked at the scene in the middle of the yard.

“You’d be surprised, but Anna and Maggie used to be best friends,” she said and I looked at her surprised and then looked back at the three girls, “When Maggie got drafted, Anna got mad- She was already jealous of Maggie and Mike, they were the talk of the family, on how they were going to follow in their father’s footsteps. She got jealous of Amber when she moved away to follow her dream- Hell, Mom says that she’s jealous of me because of my hockey and the fact that Maggie’s been helping me.”

“Does she play-“

“Anna?” Dana let out a laugh, “The only thing that girl’s skilled at is how to not keep her mouth shut. She can’t skate- And doesn’t want to learn how,” she said and I watched as the three continued to exchange words, “She doesn’t like sports-“

“You sure she’s a Marshall?” I asked and Dana giggled.

“Yeah, she’s Uncle Ian’s daughter- You met the triplets, right?” she asked and I shook my head, “Oh, they’re like nine or ten- They’re so freakin cute- And pranksters, so be careful!” she said and I chuckled, “But Anna is their older sister.”

“Gotchya,” I said and then heard feet pounding on the ground and turned my head around to see two of Maggie’s Uncles running towards the girls and I saw Maggie’s fist clenched.

“Oooooo, that’s gunna hurt,” Dana flinched when Maggie’s fist connected with one of her Uncle’s back and not her cousin’s face. The man flinched, but never looked towards Maggie, but I could tell that he was hurting by his facial expression.

When I saw Maggie walking off, an angry look on her face, I followed her, she stormed into the house and I rushed after her, catching the door before she slammed it closed. She still didn’t notice me, I ran to her and wrapped my arms around her and she snapped around, her body was tense, but she relaxed when she saw that it was just me.

“Are you all right?”

“I can’t stand that girl,” she growled and I pulled her into my chest and hugged her, “Stay away from her Pat,” Maggie said seriously and I looked at her, “Please, just try me, she likes to mess with people’s heads-“

“She reminds me of Bella,” I said and she looked at me confused, “Long story, but she likes to fuck with people’s head too, she’s one of the ice girls for the Hawks.”

Maggie rolled her eyes and I wrapped my arms around her neck and kissed her head, “I’m not goin’ anywhere, Mags.”

“Thank you,” she breathed and I smiled and then cupped her face and pressed my lips against her.

-Maggie-
“Go Dana Go!” I yelled from my seat, it was already the next night, we were at Dana’s high school hockey game, and I was really excited to be here.

It was the middle of the third period and the score was tied at one, both teams were playing really well and I could tell just by looking at Dana’s team, that they’ve been practicing everything that Andy and I taught her. Dana was heading down the ice, players all around her, she broke away from them and headed for the net, I was sitting on the edge of my seat, hands over my mouth and I was mentally praying.

I jumped to my feet and watched as Dana faked a shot and then quickly pulled the puck to the right and tipped it into the back of the net. My arms shot up into the air and I turned towards Pat and hugged him and then pulled Uncle Jim and Aunt Lisa in a hug as well.

By the end of the third, the game was tied at two, the away team managed to score a goal thirty seconds left in the game, they were going into overtime. We watched from our seats as the five minutes soon turned to zero and no one scored a goal, they were going into a shootout.

‘…Come on Dana, you’ve got this- Just remember everything I’ve taught you! Remember to read the goalie, because they’re most likely reading you…’ I thought as I watched as the first person was going to shoot. It was someone from the home team, a guy, looked to be an older kid. He made the shot and scored on the goalie and I smiled and clapped my hands, ‘…All right, all right, keep it up!...’ the first round ended, both players made the puck reach the back of the net, the second round ended, the home team missed, but the away team scored. I saw Dana skate onto the ice, ‘…She needs to get this and the other team needs to miss and they win…’

“Come on, Dana,” Pat muttered, he was leaning forward, his eyes on the ice.

‘…You’ve got this…’ I thought as I rubbed my hands together and watched as she did a little hop, something she always seemed to do right before she was about to skate off. Dana scooped up the puck and went in fast, ‘…Slow down, slow it down…’ it was like she was hearing what I was thinking, ‘…That-a-girl…’ I smiled; Dana slowed down and got a few feet in front of the net. I laughed when she pulled out one of my moves, the tic-tac-toe, I called it and dribbled the puck quickly back and forth to try and make the goalie dizzy and then slap it in the five hole.

“That’s my daughter!” Uncle Jim yelled as we all stood up and cheered, she had gotten the point that they needed, now we had to see if the home goalie would save this one, if he did, then home wins.

As soon as we sat down, we were back up again, cheering for the fact that the home team won, Dana’s team won. They won a game against a team they hadn’t beaten in almost thirty years. I smiled brightly as Dana cheered happily for their win, the win that they needed, the win that she needed. This win was going to boost all of their confidences.

“All right, Dana!” Pat yelled clapping and smiling towards the ice.

I looked at him, smiling brightly, ‘…My family likes him, he likes my family, my teammates accept him, he can’t wait for me to become a Hawk and they already love me- Can this be anymore perfect?...’ I thought and Pat looked at me, he must have felt my eyes on him.

“What?” he asked confused and I pressed my lips against his, just out of the blue and quickly, because we were out in public, “What was that for?” he smiled brightly.

“Because I love you.”