‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Sixty Four

-Maggie-
We had won our first two games, they were both away, against the Flyers and the Rangers, our next game was home and we lost to the Maple Leafs. We had away games against the Jets and Senators, wining only the game against the Senators. I scored my first goal of the season in our winning away game against the Rangers, bringing my spirits up from losing our home game against the Islanders two days before.

The season was three weeks in, it was the tenth of February, we’ve had twelve games so far, thirteen counting the game that we had tonight against the Devils. After the winning game against the Rangers, we won our home game against the Devils, won our away games against the Capitals, Islanders and then our home game against the Capitals, where in that game I scored two goals, adding up to three goals so far this season. We lost our away game against the Devils the day before, and now we were back in Pittsburgh, ready to play against them tonight.

I was in the locker room getting my gear ready, it was almost warm up time and I still needed to tape my sticks up, for whatever reason, I was a little slow tonight, I had a headache that I just couldn’t get rid of, and it wasn’t like I was hit or anything. The light in the room was hurting my eyes and I pinched the bridge of my nose, leaning down and taking a deep breath.

“Mags,” I heard and looked up to see Kris looking at me, “You all right?”

“Headache,” I said and he nodded his head.

“How long have you had it?” he asked and I frowned.

“Since I woke up this morning, just can’t seem to shake it,” I said and he sighed, “Even my eyes are hurting me.”

“Your eyes?” he asked and I sighed and nodded my head, “Sounds like a migraine.”

“Don’t tell me that,” I muttered and then rubbed my eyes.

“Go see Doc,” he said and I nodded my head, “It might just be a normal headache.”

“All right,” I said and then stood up and walked over towards Doc’s office, feeling everyone’s eyes on me as I walked into the room and flinched at how bright his office was. I squinted my eyes and saw him sitting at his desk typing on his laptop, “Doc,” I said and he looked at me, “Can I talk to you?”

“You look uncomfortable,” he said and I sighed and saw the light switch and flipped it to turn the light off, “What’s wrong?” he asked as I walked into the office.

“I have a headache and my eyes are killing me,” I said and then hopped onto the table and he walked over towards me.

“How long have you had the headache?” he asked and I sighed.

“Since I woke up this morning- Well, last night I was reading and had to stop because my eyes were hurting me,” I explained and he looked at me.

“Reading?” he asked and I nodded my head, “What part of your head hurts?” I motioned to the front of my head and he grabbed something and shined a light into my eyes and I jumped and clamped my eyes closed, groaning from the sudden pain I was having, “Hmmm, hold on, I have an idea,” he said, I still had my eyes closed, rubbing them from the uncomfortable feeling, “All right, Maggie, open them.”

I opened my eyes and saw a machine in front of me, “What’s this?”

“I want you to look into the machine and tell me what you see? Try to read the smallest print,” he said and I looked at him confused and then looked into the machine and saw that he was giving me and eye exam, “There’s six lines there, Maggie, read the best one that you can.”

I mentally cursed, I was only able to see up to four, five and six were a complete blur to me, “I can’t read past four.”

“I think that’s your problem, Maggie,” he said and I pulled back and looked at him, “You’re getting headaches because you need glasses.”

My eyes widened, “Will I be able to play?!” I asked quickly, worried that I’ll be kicked off of the team.

“Relax Maggie,” Doc chuckled and I sighed, “You’ll be fine, just on the ice you can wear contacts- Nealer wears contacts,” he said and I looked at him confused, not knowing that.

There was a knock on the door and I looked to see Coach walking in, “Everything all right?” he asked and looked up at the ceiling, probably wondering why the lights were off.

“Yes and no,” Doc said and Coach closed the door and walked in, “I don’t recommend playing Maggie tonight,” I snapped my head towards him and instantly regretted it, I groaned and held my head, “And I’m going to schedule an eye appointment.”

“Her eyes?” Coach asked.

“Yes, I want to confirm that she’ll need contacts, her eye sight is going and she’s getting headaches from it,” he said and I sighed and looked towards Coach sadly.

“Schedule it for tomorrow, I need her back on the ice,” Coach said and then looked towards me, “Mags, I need you to get better-“

“Sorry, Coach,” I sighed.

“Not your fault, things like this happen,” he said and I looked down, “You’ll be fine kid- And I promise not to call you four eyes,” he teased and I smirked and shook my head, it was funny because he wore glasses, “Go home and rest those eyes, kid.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, just be ready for your appointment tomorrow, I need you and your eyes,” he said and then walked out of the office.

“I’ll make it now, give you a call later when your appointment is set,” Doc said and I sighed and slid off of the table.

“Thanks Doc,” I said and then headed for the door, not believing that this was happening.

When I walked back into the locker room, I groaned when I hit the light. I rubbed my temples and moved to my stall and held my head.

“Everything all right?” I heard and sighed, shaking my head, but then regretting it, “What’s wrong?”

“My eyes are going on me,” I said sadly and looked to see James looking at me, “I have to start wearing glasses,” I said and he chuckled.

“It’s not so bad, I wear them,” he said and I just looked at him, squinting my eyes because of the light.

“He told me, I didn’t know- I don’t know how to wear contacts,” I said and James bumped his shoulder into mine.

“It’s easy, I’ll show you,” he said and I gave him a small smile, “You playing tonight?”

“No, Coach is scratching me and I’m going home, I have an appointment tomorrow,” I said and James nodded his head, “Why do you wear them?”

“Mostly for my left eye, couple years ago I got hit with a stick and it damaged my eye,” he said and I just looked down, “It’ll be all right.”

“All right,” I said and then started to take my gear off and then had to explain to everyone that I was going home because I couldn’t be around the loud and bright environment and because of my eyes.

-Kane-
The boys and I were in Nashville, having an away game against the Predators. We were in the locker room, it was the first intermission, the score was tied at zero, but we were all playing well. I took my phone out of my bag to check the score of the Penguins game and found that GameCenter announced that Maggie was scratched from the game with an unknown injury.

‘…I don’t remember seeing her get hurt…’ I thought as I pulled up messages and sent Maggie a text.

“What’s wrong?” I heard and looked to see Jon looking at me.

“Maggie was scratched from her game tonight,” I said and he looked at me confused, “Yeah, that’s what GameCenter said,” I said and Jon took the phone and looked at it, “I don’t remember her getting hurt.”

“Her eyes and head are hurting her and she needs to get glasses,” he said and I looked at him confused.

“How do you know that?”

“Because she just texted it to you,” he said and I snatched the phone from him and read what Jon just read to me.

“Glasses?” I asked and looked at Jon to see him shrugging his shoulders. I texted her back asking if she was all right and how she was in pain.

Have migraine, eyes hurting from bright light, Doc did test, I can’t read small print, need glasses and contacts, Maggie replied and I sighed. I was about to reply back to her when my phone buzzed again, Don’t worry about me, Pattie, I’ll be all right, be playing at my next game

I sighed and hit the box to reply, I’m always goin 2 worry. Get some rest, call me 2morrow, I wanna know if ur all right. Love u! I sighed and then rubbed my face, wondering how she was going to perform with glasses. I know so far she was slowly playing like her old self again, I was happy for her.

My phone buzzed in my hand and I looked down, chuckling at her choice of words, Love chew more!!!