‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Sixty Five

-Maggie-
“Oh my god! That’s so gross! Stop!” I squealed as I watched as James put his contact in his eye.

“It’s honestly not bad, it doesn’t hurt,” he chuckled as I sat on my kitchen counter and looked at all of my contact supplies next to me, my new glasses already on my face and it felt so weird to have them on.

Yesterday we lost another game against the Devils, today was Monday and we didn’t have another game until Wednesday, tomorrow we had practice and today was our off day. I had an eye appointment this morning and James ended up picking me up, not wanting me to drive, and then stayed with me and brought me home, determined to teach my stubborn self how to use and take care of my new contacts.

You know how people always say, third times the charm? Yeah, that wasn’t the case for me when it came to putting the contact in my eye, it was more like eleven times was the charm, and that was only one eye. Once I had both contacts in my eye, I blinked and looked around the room, finding myself having to admit that the doctor was right when he said that I would see better instantly.

“See, that wasn’t so bad,” James said and I giggle and nodded my head.

“Thank you,” I said and James smiled and nodded his head, pulling my in for a hug and then standing next to me.

“Now, I’ll show you had to clean them and shit like that,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head.

-Sidney-
“Maggie’s not going to like this,” Kunitz said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“She’ll- I don’t know- Fuck, it was bound to happen soon,” I said and Kunitz sighed and nodded his head

“How do you think she’s going to react?” Pascal asked me and I sighed and looked at the kid.

“Guess we’ll find out,” I said and then stood and walked over towards the rookie. We had practice today and Coach had told us that morning that he was bringing up a played from Wilkes-Barre, “Bennett,” I called and he looked at me and smiled, he was definitely a younger, “Hey listen,” I nervously rubbed the back of my neck and looked back at the stall that had his name on it, “Look, I’m sure you’re a nice guy and all,” he looked at me confused, “When it comes to Maggie,” she wasn’t here yet, I looked around to see the guys that were here looking at me, “Don’t be offended if she’s a little cold to you first.”

“Why would she be cold?” Bennett asked confused and I sighed.

“Because you kind of took over her brother’s stall,” Kris said and Bennett looked passed me and towards him.

I sighed and nodded my head, “She’s havin’ a hard time getting through his death,” Bennett nodded his head, knowing what happened to Mike, “His name was still on the stall until you came here- I mean, we’re all happy that you’re here and it’s nothing like that- She just-“

“It’s cool,” Bennett smiled towards me, “I completely get it, it won’t be a problem.”

I just blinked and looked at this kid, “Where are you from again?”

“California?” he asked more than told, “Why?”

“He from sunshine state, Sid,” Geno said and I chuckled, “You Sunshine.”

“Nicknames, already?” Bennett chuckled.

“Apparently,” I said and he smirked.

“Hey uh, you know where Coach is?” Bennett asked and I just looked at him.

“Uh, probably in his office.”

-Maggie-
I walked into the locker room, my contacts in and I looked at my teammates and smiled towards them.

“Damn and I thought I was going to see the new eyes,” Pascal teased and I flipped him off, hearing him chuckled, “Getting’ feisty in your old age, Mags!”

“Takes one to know one, Duper,” I snapped back, a smirk on my face and I listened to the guys laugh. I walked towards my stall and froze when I saw a kid I didn’t recognize sitting in the stall that was next to mine, the stall that use to be Mike’s. I gulped, Marshall was no longer on the stall, it was replaced with ‘Bennett’, ‘…Who’s he?...’

“Maggie?” I heard and saw the kid looking at me, “Hi, I’m Beau.”

“He Sunshine, Mags!” Geno yelled and I just looked at the kid and took his reached out hand.

“Pleasure to be playing with you,” he said and I just looked at him and then the stall.

“Uh, same,” I said and then walked towards my stall and started to put my gear on. I sighed and then shook my head, ‘…Come on, Mags. You knew it was going to happen, don’t take it out on him, it’s not his fault…’

I looked up sadly and saw Sidney looking at me, the look on his face sad it all ‘Be-Nice’. I sighed and nodded my head; I looked towards the kid and saw him leaving the locker room. I rubbed my face and ran my fingers through my hair, looking back towards the nameplate that used to have my last name there for Mike.

“It’ll be all right, Maggie,” I heard and saw Marc looking at me. I sighed and nodded my head and then bent down to start lacing up my skates.

I heard the door open and saw the kid’s feet in front of me, I was still looking down, but I didn’t look up. He climbed over the bench and faced his stall, “Hey uh, Maggie,” I heard and looked up, “Can you hold this?” I looked at him confused to see him handing me a long piece of packing tape.

“Uh, sure,” I said and he smiled and nodded his head, ‘…He’s got a big ass smile…’ I thought and smirked.

I sighed and held the tape, “All right, thanks,” he said and I felt him take the tape and I went back to lacing my skates, “There, perfect,” Beau said and I looked up to see what he was talking about and my eyes widened.

“Wha-“

“Technically this is his stall too,” Beau said and I looked at the nameplate that read ‘Marshall’ taped next to ‘Bennett’, “I never met Mike, but I heard he was an awesome player and person, his name doesn’t deserve to go down just because I’m here- I don’t mind sharing.”

I looked up at him, he had a bright smile on his face, ‘…This kid…’ I thought and looked towards the guys to see them smiling. I looked back at Beau, jumping up and probably scaring him when I pulled him in for a tight hug. He chuckled against me and I buried my face into his shoulder, clamping my eyes shut and swallowing down my tears, “Thank you.”

-Kane-
It was Valentine’s Day and I was sad because neither Maggie or I were able to get away to see the other. Our game schedule was just too tight. We hadn’t seen each other since I left Pittsburgh after finding out the lockout was over, I mean we’ve talked and video chatted, but it wasn’t enough.

Right now I was at the United Center with the guys, we had practice and I just really wanted to go home because I was tired of hearing the guys talk about what they were doing with their wives or girlfriends. I had ordered flowers for Maggie and had them shipped to her house. I also bought her a bracelet, I had gotten her a pair of earrings last year for her birthday, a necklace for Christmas, and a diamond hair clip for this birthday because she like to clip her hair up, it was time for a bracelet. I just felt bad because I never shipped it out, completely forgetting about it on my counter and she was going to get her present a little late.

We were practicing shootout techniques, it was my turn, I looked towards Crawford and skated forward when Coach blew the whistle. I smiled brightly when I saw the puck hit the back of the net and heard Corey curse. I made my way back towards the bench when I heard someone start clapping.

“Wow, maybe I should start stepping up on my shootouts,” I heard and turned my head and my eyes widened and a bright smile was on my face.

“What are you doing here?” I laughed and skated over towards her. Maggie was standing in the doorway smiling towards me.

“Sparky!” Sharp yelled and I made my way in front of her and pulled her in for a tight hug.

“I missed you,” I said and looked up towards her, she was wearing her new glasses and I thought they looked cute on her.

“I missed you too,” she breathed and smiled towards me.

“Hey, hey, hey, I wanna hug!” I heard Jon said and looked to see him smiling.

“Wait ta ruin practice, Marshall,” I heard Coach say to Maggie with a smirk on his face.

“Sorry Q, had to make entrance,” Maggie giggled.

“Definitely accomplished,” Jon said as he hugged his friend, “How’ve you been, four eyes?”

“SHUT UP!!!” Maggie growled and pushed Jon and he laughed and wrapped his arm around her shoulder, I stood behind them smiling at the fact that she was here, she was actually in Chicago.

“So what are you doing here?” Sharp asked as he hugged his friend, “Abby’s gunna be excited to see you.”

“Actually I’m only in town for the night, I’m off to Winnipeg tomorrow to meet up with my team,” Maggie said and I came up next to her, she looked at me and smiled, “You and me tonight, Kane, you better be ready!”

“Ooooooooo,” the guys chirped and Maggie smiled brightly.

“I don’t know, can you handle all this?” I teased and Maggie laughed.

“I was gunna ask you the same,” she smiled brightly and I smirked and moved my hand behind her neck and pressed my lips against hers, feeling happy to be kissing her for the first time in over a month. I heard the guys cheering in the background and felt Maggie’s arms wrap around my neck.

‘…Definitely good to see her again…’