‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Seventy Four

I arrived in Toronto; I took a cab to the hospital and found Maggie’s room. The guards wouldn’t let me into the room until Crosby saw my in the hallway and came out to tell the officers that I was all right. I ran into the room and stopped, looking at her broke my heart, she was bruised and broken.

“How long is she going to be unconscious?” I asked and Crosby looked at me, Letang, Neal, Malkin, Kennedy, Fleury, Dupuis, Kunitz and Bennett were scattered all over the large room.

“Until her head is healed, doctor says that her concussion is worse than the three that I’ve had,” he said and I just slowly walked over towards Maggie and took her head, I wanted to cry because it hurt to see he like this.

When I held her hand I saw that her knuckles were bandaged, I looked over at the other hand and saw the same thing, “She put up a fight?”

“She kicked ass,” Neal said and I looked at him, “We saw the security tape, she held up her own,” he said and I gulped and looked down at her, “The only guy was twice her size and the girl was like a fuckin’ ninja or something.”

“What she’s do to them?” I asked and looked at Maggie.

“She broke the girl’s arm and stabbed the guy in the leg,” Fleury said and I looked at him wide eyed and he nodded his head.

“I’ve seen her fight once off the ice- That was against Seguin,” I said and Neal and Letang nodded their heads, they were there for that fight, “She shocked a lot of people that night.”

“That’s for damn sure,” Letang muttered and I sighed and leaned against the wall next to her bed.

The door to the room opened and I turned my head and saw Amber, Maggie’s cousin walking in. She saw me and her eyes widened, “Pat,” she said and I nodded my head, “I didn’t know you were here.”

“Just got here,” I said and she nodded her head and then looked at Crosby.

“Where are you going?” Neal asked because it looked like Amber was on a mission.

“To Vancouver, I’m going to try and find Anna,” she said and I looked at her and stood up straight.

“You’re going to need some help,” Neal said and stood up and Amber shook her head.

“You guys leave tomorrow for your game tomorrow night- I can’t ask you to come with me,” she said and Neal looked at Crosby.

“Don’t do anything stupid,” Crosby said and Neal nodded his head, “Try to stay out of sight.”

“You- You’re coming?” Amber asked and Neal nodded his head.

“I’m coming too,” I said and everyone looked at me, “You’re family knows me.”

“So?” Neal said and I looked at him.

“So, they like me- Sort of,” I said and Amber smirked.

“They like you- I’m leaving now,” she said and Neal and I nodded our heads.

I looked back towards Maggie, kissed her forehead and then out the door I went, following behind Neal and Amber, “Did anyone call Nick?” I asked and Amber looked at me and nodded her head, “You did?”

“Yeah, he’s already on his way to Vancouver, and we called Emma and told her to stay in Dallas until this was all over. Maggie’s Dad is on his way to Toronto and her Mom is staying with family- We don’t want anyone to be alone.”

“So I take it your family’s been warned?” Neal asked and Amber nodded her head.

“But we can’t get a hold of Anna,” Amber said and I sighed, “They know I’m coming- Not you, but- Whatever.”

We drove to the airport in the rental car that I had just rented only two hours before, bought a plane ticket Vancouver, waited with Neal and Amber for an hour and half until our flight was allowing boarding and then got on the plane.

When we arrived in Vancouver, it was close to five, we rented a car and Amber gave Neal directions to where she wanted us to go. She said we had about a little while and just as she told Neal to take a certain exit, her phone started to go off.

“Hello?” she answered quickly, “What?! You can’t find her- Why did they let her go anywhere?” Amber panicked and I looked towards her wondering what she was talking about, “Nicky, we’re almost there- Probably another half hour,” she said and I sighed, “Is she at the rink? Did she have practice or something?”

‘…Rink? Practice?...’ I thought and looked towards Amber and my eyes widened, ‘…Dana!...’

“What’s going on?” Neal asked as Amber hung up the phone and rubbed her face.

“Nicky says that they can’t find Dana, everyone was told to stay at my Uncle’s house, no one went to school or work- She got into an argument with the family about how she had practice and she wasn’t going to miss it and I guess snuck out.”

“They can’t find her?” Neal asked and Amber shook her head.

“Practice got out a little while ago and no one can find her, they even called her Coach and he said that she left as soon as practice was over,” Amber said and I sighed.

“You think these fucks got her?” I asked and Amber looked back at me.

“She’s sixteen- I hope not.”

We reached the house that Amber wanted us to go to, it was a huge place and I didn’t recognize it, I remembered I had only been to Maggie’s Uncle Jim’s home. Neal parked the car and the three of us walked out of it and Amber ran towards the door, ringing the doorbell because she tried to open it and it was locked.

The door opened and I was greeted with the oldest Marshall, Uncle Ian. He hugged Amber and I found out that Amber was his daughter, which meant that we were at her home. Neal and I looked at each other and then up towards the house and just kept thinking that this was a big ass house. I heard Amber’s name and then saw a clone of her pull her into a hug and I remember that this was her twin, but I couldn’t remember her name.

“Patrick,” I heard and looked up to see Maggie’s Aunt Lisa, “Why are you here?”

“I’m here to help find Anna,” I said and she looked at me and nodded her head and then looked towards Neal, who just gave and awkward wave.

“Come in, boys,” Ian said and Neal and I nodded our heads and walked into the mansion, “How is Maggie?”

“She’s stable,” Neal said and looked at everyone coming towards the door, “She’s pretty banged up, but she put up a good fight.”

“Nealer! Kane!” I heard and saw Maggie’s youngest brother, Nick appear, “You guys are here.”

“Yeah, we’re gunna try to help,” I said and he nodded his head, “Dana’s missing?”

“We can’t find her anywhere,” Lisa said and I sighed, she was worried about her daughter, “I should have just let her go to practice and sent someone with her- Now she could be-“

“We’ll find her, Lisa,” Jim, her husband said and hugged his upset wife.

‘…This is so fucked up…’ I thought and then ran my fingers through my hair.

“The guy was saying that Anna took some sort of disc, Uncle Carl,” Amber said to one of the guys and I guess he was Anna’s father, “Do you know what he could be talking about?”

“When Anna got home, she just stayed in her room the whole time- She barely came out,” he said and then sighed, “Two days ago she walked out the door and just didn’t come back.”

“Can we look around her room?” Neal asked and I looked at him, “Maybe we’ll see something- I don’t know.”

“Just let the police handle this, son,” Ian said and I took a step forward.

“We came to help,” I said and he looked at me, “Let us help- We’re not going to help by just sitting here.”

Carl sighed and stepped forward; placing his hand on his brother’s shoulders, “Let them help.”

“All right,” Ian said and sighed.

“I’m coming too-“

“Like hell you are!” Ian barked at his daughter, “Carl and I will go- Everyone else stays here.”

“What about me?” Nick asked angrily, “She’s my sister!”

“Stay here,” Ian said and then looked at Neal and I, “Let’s go.”

Neal and I walked out of the house; I looked back towards the sad, scared, worried family and hoped that I would be able to give them some answers. We got into the big red truck and Carl drove out of the driveway and headed out onto the road.

Halfway through the trip I turned around in the backseat and saw a dark blue car with tinted windows three cars back, I recognized that car. I looked towards Neal and he looked at me confused, “How much longer, Carl?” I asked and he quickly looked back towards me, he was driving.

“Not long- Why?”

“Go a different way,” I said and Ian and Neal looked at me confused, “We’re being followed.”

“What?” Neal asked and turned around.

“Three cars back, you recognize it?” I asked and Neal lifted his head and took at the third car and his eyes widened, “It was at the airport when we landed.”

“That’s the dude that almost ran me over,” he said and I nodded my head, “Shit, who are these guys.”

“Whoever they are- They fuckin’ messed with the wrong family,” Ian growled and I looked at him.

‘…Maybe Anna messed with the wrong people…’ I thought, hoping that this will turn into what happens in the movies where the good guys always win, ‘…Please let this go well…’