‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Seventy Five

Carl pulled his truck up to an alley way and then pulled the truck into a small garage, I was surprised the truck fit. We all squeezed out and Carl and Ian held Neal and I back when we were about to walk into the alley way.

“Which one’s your house?” Neal asked and Carl peaked his head around the corner.

“This is a buddy of mine’s garage, he won’t mind the truck being here, I live a few blocks away,” he said and I nodded my head, we were going to walk there, “Everyone in this neighborhood knows me, we’re going to stay off the streets if we’re really being followed.”

“How do we do that?”

“Training and conditioning,” Carl said and Ian chuckled.

“I fuckin’ hate you,” Ian said and Neal and I were confused.

“Let’s go,” Carl said and quickly ran across the alleyway and jumped up, grabbing the top of the fence and pushed himself up.

“I get it now,” I said and Neal nodded his head, ‘…Fuck!...’ I thought, always hating this part in training and conditioning camp.

“I’m too old for this shit,” Ian grumbled as he pushed himself up and over the fence. I took a deep breath and looked towards Neal, wondering if we were really doing this, “Any time ladies!”

‘…Fuck off, old man…’ I thought as I took a jump, grabbed the top of the fence and pushed myself up and over, not landing too gracefully, but I was over.

I counted ten fences that we needed to climb over until we got to the house we needed. The one fence we climbed over, when we reached the other side, Neal almost jumped right into the pool because he climbed a little further down than us, he just shot me a glare and I stopped snickering.

We reached the house and Carl slid the back door open and we all rushed into the house. Ian went to the front of the house and decided that he was going to stay as look out as Neal, Carl and I went upstairs to Anna’s bedroom to find anything we could about this disc or where she might be.

“Right, uh, where do we start?” Neal asked as we looked around at the neat room.

“Anywhere, tear the place apart- I don’t care,” Carl said and I walked over towards the computer desk, because that seemed to be the only thing in the room that wasn’t organized.

-Maggie-
I groaned, sucking in the breath and blinking my ears opened. My hearing came to me and I groaned at the bright light shining into the room. I heard beeping noises and muttering, I lifted my aching head and blinked my eyes a little to see my Dad sitting next to my bed, he was on the phone with someone.

I tried to call out for him, but my throat was dry and it didn’t come out really well, but whatever noise I made came out and Dad snapped his head towards me and immediately told whoever he was talking to that he needed to go.

“Baby,” he breathed and moved closer to me, “How are you feeling?”

“Hurts,” I croaked out and he looked around the room and grabbed the cup of water with a straw and moved the straw to my mouth.

“You’ve been out for about three days- I’m actually surprised that you’re awake,” he said and I just looked at him as I drank, “The doctors told me at least five.”

I pulled back and took a deep breath, “Where am I?”

“Toronto hospital,” he said and I just looked at him and looked around, “Your teammates stayed as long as they could, but they needed to head back to Pittsburgh.”

“How many games have I missed?”

“Just the Rangers and Bruins, you won both of them- And then the Caps are tomorrow night,” Dad informed and I nodded my head.

“What’s going on with this Anna thing?”

“Everyone’s pretty much on lockdown at Ian’s house, Neal and Kane are there helping to try and find Anna- They still can’t find her or whatever this disc thing is,” Dad said and I looked at him.

“Neal and Kane?” I asked and he nodded his head, “MY Neal and Kane? James Neal and Patrick Kane?”

“Yeah, they wanted to help- They’ve been there for about three days now,” he said and I gulped, not wanting them to be involved in this, “I guess your Coach has you and Neal on injury reserve, saying that you both accidently collided at practice and are pretty banged up- Kane’s Coach just has that he’s got the flu or something.”

“Everyone’s in Vancouver?” I asked and Dad nodded his head, “Nicky? Emma?”

“Emma and Troy are in Texas- Nicky’s in Vancouver,” he said and I sighed, slowly sat up, groaning and holding my sore and most likely fractured, if not broken, ribs, “Take it easy there, Maggie, you’re pretty banged up.”

“Is everyone all right?” I asked, looking at my Dad, “Everyone’s safe? No one’s hurt?”

“Everyone’s fine now.”

“Now?” I asked, looking at him to see him regretting his choice of words, “What happened?”

“Dana was taken- But they found her!” he said quickly and my eyes widened, “She was a little banged up, but nothing serious.”

‘…When I get my hands on Anna, if these fuckers don’t kill her- I will!....’ I thought as I sucked in a breath and held it as I slid my legs off of the bed and then pushed myself off of the bed, releasing the air and holding onto the wall.

“Maggie, what are you doing? Honey, sit back down- You’re too hurt!” Dad said as he moved around the bed and stood in front of me.

“I’m fine,” I growled and looked around the room, “Where are my clothes?”

“Honey, where are you going?”

“To Vancouver.”

-Kane-
I was sitting on the couch with Dana, Amber and Neal, we were digging through Anna’s laptop for the fifth time, trying to see if we could find something. Natalie, Amber’s twin, walked into the room and sat on the floor in front of the coffee table and took the laptop, apparently she was the techy of the family.

“She’s got a lot of firewall protected documents in here,” Natalie said and I looked towards Neal and he just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders, “I’m pretty sure that I can bypass the Trojan and find out what she’s hiding.”

“Uh, ok,” I said and she looked at me, “What about the password that’s needed?”

“Like I said, I can get passed the Trojan to find out what she’s hiding-“

“Translation, she’s going to hack into Anna’s laptop,” Amber said and I looked at her, “She’s very good at it.”

“I don’t wanna know,” I said and the girls giggled.

“Could whatever be password protected on that laptop be whatever these freaks are looking for?” Neal asked and we looked at him.

“One way to find out,” Natalie said and started to type on the laptop, “This might take a while.”

“All right,” I said and then took a deep breath and stood up. All of our heads were snapped to the side at hearing a car door slam, it seemed like the whole noise went through the house and everyone was rushing to the front of the house. Neal looked out the window, peaking through the blinds.

“It’s some blond chick,” Neal said and Amber snapped around and looked through the blinds.

“It’s Anna!” Amber yelled and my eyes widened and I looked towards Neal, “Nat, take this shit and hide, I don’t want her knowing that we have her stuff.”

“All right,” she said and Natalie and Dana started to collect everything and ran out of the room while Neal, Amber and I walked out of the Den and into the hallway to see all of the Uncles opening the door and pulling Anna in, the interrogation began.

I looked at this Anna, she was a little disheveled and looked like she’s been through hell, I couldn’t help but not feel sorry for her because she was putting her whole family through hell, ‘…I haven’t called to check up on Maggie…’ I thought and then turned back into the Den, pulled out my phone and dialed Maggie’s hospital room number, knowing her father would answer the phone because Maggie’s was supposed to be still unconscious.

“Hello?” a woman answered the phone.

“Uh, I’m looking for Maggie Marshall?”

“Oh, the previous patient check out I believe, she wasn’t here when I started my shift,” the woman said and my eyes widened, “Hello?”

“Oh, uh, thanks,” I said and then hung up and turned back towards Neal and pulled him off to the side.

“What?”

“According to the Toronto hospital, Maggie checked out today,” I said and his eyes widened.

“That’s impossible; she’s not supposed to be awake yet! The doctors said for almost a week- It hasn’t even been three days,” he said and I nodded my head.

I took a deep breath and rubbed my face, “Fuck, where is she?”