‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Seventy Seven

We were awoken to the door being swung opened and a bright light being shined onto us and our names being yelled. I shot up and looked to see my Uncle Ian standing there, shining a flash light into the room.

“Get up! We’ve got trouble!” he yelled and I looked towards Pat. Neal jumped up and tried to flip the switch to the light on, but found that we had no power, “The power was cut.”

“They’re here?” I asked and Uncle Ian just looked at me and then we heard a crash downstairs and we all jumped up and moved quickly.

“Justin, Nick, Aaron, get the girls and head towards the basement, make sure everyone is safe- Jake and Greg are already starting,” Uncle Ian said and I looked across the room to see Nick sitting up, this was the first I was seeing my little brother.

“Nicky,” I called and he looked across the room, I stood up and he shot up and ran to me, hugging me.

“I’m glad you’re all right-“

“Save the bonding time for later!” Uncle Ian yelled, “GO! Now!”

“Go,” I said and Nick looked at me worriedly, “Go, it’ll be all right.”

“You’re not coming?” he asked and I shook my head, “Mags, he said girls-“

“Go, Nicky, or I’ll kick your ass next,” I said and he sighed and nodded his head and headed out the door with Justin and Aaron. I looked towards Uncle Ian and saw him holding a hand gun in his hand.

“You know how to fire one?” he asked and rubbed the back of my neck.

“Uh, yeah, I wouldn’t trust me with a gun- Nealer’s got the better aim,” I said and James just looked at me.

“I’ve never had to shoot a person before?!”

“Paintball,” I said and he snorted.

“You’ll be fine, kid- Just remember,” Uncle Ian looked at James, “Just shoot the bad guys.”

“Great, I feel so safe,” Pat muttered and I glared at him.

“Let’s go,” Uncle Ian said and the three of us followed him downstairs, the women and children were being rushed into the basement and I looked over and saw Dad loading his hand gun.

“Yeah, I’m just gunna go with my trusty bat,” I muttered as I grabbed the metal bat that was just randomly in the corner, “Or fists.”

“Trust not to get killed,” Uncle Ian told everyone.

“Such sentimental words,” I muttered and looked towards Pat to see him giving me a worried look at he cocked his gun, “It’ll be all right.”

“We’re fuckin’ hockey players,” he breathed and I nodded my head, understanding what he was saying.

‘…We’re not meant to be holding a gun and defending our family- We’re not soldiers…’ I thought and placed my hand on his neck and pressed my lips against his, ‘…Hopefully this would calm him down…’

“Don’t go off on your own, Maggie,” Pat said and I nodded my head, “I can’t lose you- I won’t!”

“You’re not,” I said and kissed his cheek and I laced my fingers with his. We all heard the sound of glass breaking, “They’re inside.”

“Don’t fuckin’ leave myself,” I heard and turned my head to see Uncle Ian and Carl around Anna, “Everyone try to stick together.”

‘…How many are there?...’ I thought and looked towards James to see him looking at me, he wrapped his arm my shoulder and kissed the top of my head, “Don’t do anything stupid- I can’t lose you two- Especially when you shouldn’t even be here.”

-Kane-
Maggie, Neal and I walked through the one half of the home, there were gunshots heard in the house, we didn’t know what was going on. The three of us were in the Den when we heard a scream and turned to see Anna, she was in the corner being trapped by some guy.

“Hey! Fuck face!” Maggie yelled and he turned around just in time for Maggie to slam the metal bat in his face.

‘…Ouch…’

“KANE!!!” Neal yelled and I turned around to ducked to the ground to see gun aimed at me, I heard firing, but didn’t see where it was coming or going and I didn’t feel hurt.

“Pat!”

“I’m all right,” I said and got up, turning around to see the person on the ground and I looked towards Neal, he looked surprised and scared, “Thanks.”

“Yeah,” he said slowly, “I’m seriously going to need some shrink time after this.”

I watched as Maggie walked over towards the body on the ground, bent over and picked up the arm, pulling back the sleeve and cursing, “What?” I asked and she looked at me.

“These are the freaks from the hotel,” she said and then stood up, “I thought- I hoped there were only three of them- Guess not.”

“Maggie!” we all turned around and saw that Anna was grabbed by this big guy that was at least twice, maybe three times, our size.

Maggie walked in front of Neal and I, looking at the guy that had his arm wrapped around Anna’s neck, “You and I, asswipe, have unfinished business.”

“What?” I asked and looked towards Neal.

“Guy from the hotel,” he said and I looked towards the guy and saw that, thanks to the light that was shining into the room from the moon light in the window, I could see bruises on the man’s face.

-Maggie-
The guy was about to let Anna go, to fight me when I heard gunshots and looked around, I didn’t see anyone. I looked back towards the guy and Anna and watched as the big guy fell to the ground.

“What just happened?” James asked and I looked again and saw my Dad appearing.

“Anna, get to the basement and stay there with the others- You three stay in the kitchen and make sure no one gets the chance to go in the basement,” Dad said and I nodded my head and we rushed to the kitchen and I practically threw Anna down the stairs.

When I closed the door, I gasped when I saw Ace standing there, he grabbed the back of my head and slammed my head against the wooden door and I lost my balance and fell to the ground. I groaned and held my head as the room started to spin and then let out a cry when he grabbed my pony tail and started to drag me back into the kitchen.

“Maggie!” Pat and James yelled, pulling out their guns and aiming them towards Ace.

“Ah, ah, ah, that’s not happening,” Ace said and picked me up and holding me against him, “Drop your weapons- NOW!”

“Drop ‘em,” I growled and looked at James and Pat.

“No!”

“Let me give a little more encouragement,” Ace said and I glared at the ground when I felt the gun against my head.

“NO!” Pat yelled, “All right, all right.”

“That’s better,” Ace said I breathed a sigh of relief when he moved the gun.

‘…Now’s my chance…’ I thought when I slammed my foot down on his and threw my head back against his, quickly getting out of his grip, turning around to knock his gun out of his hand, throwing a throat punch at him and a kick to the stomach. He quickly recovered himself and threw a punch across my cheek and then pushed me back, I tripped over the one chair and fell to the ground.

“You stupid bitch!” he growled and started to come at me.

I looked behind me and saw that Pat and James were currently occupied by two guys going after them. I mentally cursed and pushed myself up and threw a punch towards him, but he grabbed it and used his other hand to throw a few punches in my stomach and I cried out and felt my face slam off of the kitchen table and he pushed me back against the wall and then pinned me there.

“See, I actually admire you, Maggie Marshall- You’re pretty talented,” he smirked towards me and I glared at him, “I hear you’re a hockey player- That’s pretty impressive,” he chuckled, “That also means that you need your body in tip top shape to perform, right?” he asked and I looked at him, “What would happen if I took this gun and shot you in your leg? Huh? How long will you be out?” I glared at him, “Oh come now, where are those snappy comments that I heard before?”

“Fuck off,” I hissed at him and he laughed and pressed his gun to my shoulder and I froze.

“There we go!” he laughed, “What if I shot you here? What’s that? An upper body injury?” I didn’t say anything, I just prayed that he didn’t shoot me, “Where’s Anna, Maggie?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know,” I growled and he chuckled.

“Yes, yes I would,” he said and then his smile disappeared and he gave me a serious look. His gun moved so fast, I didn’t have time to see it; I heard the shot and sucked in a breath. I looked at him and then turned my head to see a hole in the wall, “Next time the bullet will be in you,” Ace said and I looked at him, “I like you- You’re loyal- But I want information and if you don’t provide it to me- I’ll kill you.”

He made the mistake of loosening his grip on me, I got a quick chance to bring my elbow down on top of his head hard and then I punched him across the face with my other hand. Ace brought his gun up and I cursed and kicked it out of his hand and shoved him back. He quickly recovered and grabbed me and threw me across the room, I landed on top of the glass kitchen table and heard the shatter, felt the pain go through me as I landed on the ground on top of the glass.

“Oh, Maggie,” I heard him sing, “I’m not finished with you- Don’t die on me yet!” he growled and I gasped when he grabbed my ankles and pulled me out from under the now broken table and picked me up, “My patients is growing thin- Are you going to tell me what I want to know?”

“Go fuck yourself,” I hissed and he glared at me and threw me against the kitchen island and I gasped when he came at me when a large glass shard and I struggled with my grip on his arm because he was just to slam the shard into me.

“Stop fighting it, Maggie! Just die!”

“Hey fuck face!” I heard but didn’t hear the voice, “You obviously don’t know us Marshalls!”

I heard shots fired and then felt Ace fall off of me, I looked up and saw Nick standing in the kitchen, he dropped the gun and ran over towards me, “Maggie,” he cupped my neck and looked at me, “Are you all right?”

I fell to my knees, completely exhausted and in pain, my little brother cried out my name and I just hugged him, “Nicky,” I breathed and looked at him, “Thank you.”

“FREEZE!!!” I heard and Nick and I winced when light was shined in our eyes.

“Oh good, the police are here,” I muttered and looked at Ace on the ground, “When it’s all fuckin’ over.”

“Is it really over?” Nick asked and I sighed.

“I don’t know.”