‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Seventy Eight

“PAT!!!” I yelled through the home, trying to find where he was at, “Pat!”

“Maggie!” I heard and turned to see Pat running into the room.

I let out a deep breath, the sun was up, the police and FBI were at the house and cleaning up everything and grabbing all the freaks. I let out a little laugh as I seen Pat and ran to him, pulling him into a hug, we both wince, a little banged up, but just happy to see each other. Pat pulled back, cupped my face and pressed his lips against mine and then wrapped his arms around my neck and I wrapped mine around his chest.

“I love you,” Pat said and I smiled as he kissed my head.

“I love you too,” I said and he just hugged me, but it hit me, “Oh my god! Where’s James?!”

“I don’t know, we kind of got split up,” Pat said and we broke apart and I started to run into the next room.

We went through each room until we found James, he was in the front hallway on the ground, leaning against the wall, he had an EMT in front of him. I yelled his name and ran over towards him, bending down next to him, “Are you all right?”

“Yeah, my pride a little hurt,” he chuckled and I giggled and held his hand, “No holes, just a few cuts- But I’ll be fine.”

I looked towards the EMT, “You’re friend will be fine, just let me clean the cuts and he’s good to go.”

I breathed a sigh of relief and patted his shoulder, “That’s good.”

“Maggie,” I heard and turned to see Uncle Ian looking at me, I patted James’ shoulder, stood up and walked over towards him, “You all right?”

“Yeah, just really sore and I want to sleep for a week- But I’ll be fine,” I said and he chuckled and nodded his head, “Sorry about the mess.”

“Don’t worry about it,” he said and then pulled me in for a hug, “I’m glad you’re all right.”

“You and me both,” I said and then pulled back and saw my Dad, my eyes widened as he held his shoulder, there was a cloth wrapped around it, “Dad!”

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” he said and I went to look at his wound, but he slapped my hand away, “It’s all right, just a through and through,” Dad said and my eyes widened, “Is everyone all right?”

“Everyone on our end is fine,” Uncle Ian said and I looked back and forth between the two.

“All right? Dad! You were shot!”

“Dad?! Shot?!” I heard Nick and turned to see him running over, “Dad!”

“I’m fine, guys, really, it doesn’t hurt too much, the dick came out of nowhere,” he said and I looked at him sadly, my sixty five year old father was shot.

The EMT that was cleaning up James walked over towards me Dad and started to pull him out of the home and outside towards the ambulance, he was going to patch him up there, I felt better when she told me that it wasn’t a sever wound and he would be all right.

‘…Everyone’s all right…’ I thought and looked towards James and Pat, who were both standing up and looking like they were like me and could sleep for a week, “I’m ready to go back to Pittsburgh,” I said and James chuckled and nodded his head.

-Kane-
It took about two days until we were approved to finally leave. Neal, Maggie and I took a plane to Chicago because the boys wanted to see the two of us, to make sure that she and I were all right and Neal wasn’t about to go and leave Maggie alone.

Before we left, Maggie had another confrontation with Anna and punched her about two more times and said that if Anna ever got herself into trouble again, than she was on her own. I was pretty sure she meant it too, Maggie wasn’t going to risk her life, or even her family or friends life, for someone she didn’t even like, whether or not they were family.

The FBI informed the three of us that we were going to be followed for our protection; however, they were never going to notice that we were there. They wanted to keep us safe until they rounded up all the major criminals on the list that Anna stole to guarantee that no one was going to be coming after us. Since Maggie and Neal lived in houses, they were probably going to feel safer than me, I lived in the Trump Towers, there’s plenty of ways for these freaks to get in if they wanted in.

We arrived in Chicago, grabbed a taxi to my building and then the three of us kept our heads low as we walked into the building and to our building, not really wanting anyone to see our bruised faces and giving them an excuse to get the media involved. The three of us walked into my condo and I breathed a sigh of relief to be home, but deep down inside, I wondered if it was really over. I looked towards Maggie to see her walked outside towards the balcony and looking at the city, Neal basically just collapsed on the couch out of exhaustion.

I looked at my clock and saw that it was two in the afternoon, the Blackhawks didn’t have a game, but I was pretty sure there was practice. I walked outside towards Maggie and asked her if she wanted to come with me to the United Center and she of course agreed, wanted to see my teammates as much as I did. When I went to ask Neal if he want to come, he was already asleep on the couch, so Maggie just left him a note and we were both out the door.

It was a quiet drive to the rink, I looked over towards Maggie and saw her uncomfortably moving in her seat and flinching when I would hit a bump, “You all right?”

“My ribs,” she said and I nodded my head, remembering that she most likely had some broken ribs.

We arrived at the United Center and I pulled into the players’ parking lot and smiled at the sight of everyone’s cars, they were here for practice. Maggie and I walked out of the car, headed inside, and made our way towards the ice, hearing blades against the surface and pucks hitting the glass.

We saw that no one was on the bench and leaned against the boards, Jon did a slap shot and hit it too wide, “You call that a shot!” Maggie yelled and everyone seemed to look our way and everyone’s eyes widened at the sight of us and they quickly moved our way.

“Maggie!” Jon yelled as he came up to her and hugged her hard.

“Easy, easy, damaged goods here,” Maggie groaned and Jon pulled back and looked at her bruised face.

“You look awful,” Brent said and I smirked while Maggie giggled.

“You should see the other guy,” she smiled brightly and the guys laughed.

“You all right, man?” Corey asked me and I nodded my head and we did our bro hug.

“So what happened, Sparky?” Sharp asked as he looked over Maggie, picking up her hands to see her cut up knuckles after so many punches she had thrown. He saw the busted lip, the cut on the bridge of her nose, the bruised cheek, cut eyebrow, and bruise on the side of her head above her eyebrow.

“What happened to you?” Jon asked as he looked at me, “I thought you went to see her in the hospital?”

“Situation changed and things got a lot more fucked up,” I said and he just looked at me and I looked at Maggie, “But hopefully everything’s all over now.”

“Hopefully?” the guys asked and Maggie sighed and nodded her head.

“Pattie and I are going to have some people tailing us for a while,” Maggie said, “Don’t be alarmed, they’re just FBI-“

“I’m sorry- What?” Jon asked.

“Did you just say FBI?” Andrew Shaw asked, “What the fuck did you do?!”

“I didn’t do anything!” Maggie growled and then sighed and shook her head, “Sorry, it’s been a long week.”

“What happened, Mags?”

“My cousin Anna stole some sort of disc from some gang when she was in London and apparently the disc had names of members of all different gangs in the world, they came after her and our family to get it back,” Maggie informed and the guys nodded their heads.

“So what happened to the people that were after you?” Brent asked.

“Dead or in jail now,” she informed, “But the problem isn’t them- The problem is all the other gangs that were on that list that still need the disc back. The FBI doesn’t think that they’ll come after us anymore, but they’re sending people with us as a precaution.”

“Why wouldn’t they come after you again?” someone asked and I snapped a glare in the direction of the voice.

“I don’t know,” Maggie said, “I guess I’ve seen enough movies to understand why they would come after us until they have what they want- But I’m just hoping that this isn’t like the movies.”

-Sidney-
Everyone was in the locker room, we had a game against the Flyers tonight, it’s been about a week since we last saw, or even heard from James and Maggie and everyone’s nerves were on end. However, we were playing our games, and winning them, but off the ice, we were all freaking out.

There was only so long that Coach can pull off saying that James and Maggie were hurt because they collided with each other at practice. The press was asking where they were, we were sticking to our story, I highly doubted they believed it, but they weren’t saying anything. The two had missed the Rangers, Bruins, Capitals and then Islanders, all won games.

I was in the middle of lacing my skates when the door opened, I didn’t look up figuring it was Coach or one of the guys coming in from sharpening their skates, “Boy this must be seriousville,” I heard and my head snapped up to see Maggie and James standing in the doorway.

“Mags,” I breathed and everyone seemed to stand up and run to her, Geno and Kris got their first, Kris pulled Maggie in for a hug and Geno picked James up and hugged him, happy to see that he and Maggie were all right. I waited in the back as everyone got their hugs in, and told the two that they were happy that they were back. When it finally came to be my turn, I shook hands with James and gave him a bro hug and then looked at Maggie, “You all right?”

“I will be,” she said and I looked at her bruised and cut up face and bit my lip, “Sid, I’ll be all right.”

I grabbed the back of her neck and pulled her into me, wrapping my arms around her neck and lying my head on top of hers. Maggie wrapped her arms around my chest and I was just happy to have my friend and teammate back.

“So what’s the damage?” Cooke asked as I pulled back and moved to the side so that Maggie could look at everyone.

“Uh, nothing too serious, just a few busted ribs,” she said and I looked at her.

“Concussion?”

“I’d be surprised if she didn’t,” James said and I looked at him, “She got her head bashed in so many times.”

“Other than sore, I feel fine,” Maggie said and I just looked at her. Beau walked up to her again and looked at her knuckles.

“Did you go all badass Maggie on these fucks? Look at your knuckles!” he yelled and Maggie smirked and looked towards James, who just chuckled.

“It’s our little secret,” James said and then wrapped his arm around Maggie’s shoulder.

“Well whatever, I want Doc looking over both of you to see what were working with,” I said and James and Maggie nodded their heads and it was at that time Coach walked in and looked at his two players.

“Do I even want to know?” Coach asked and Maggie smirked.

“Probably not.”