‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Eighty One

I was so relieved to win the game against the Islanders, with the final score of two to zero. Vokoun did well that night and we were really proud of him, Cooke and James were the goal scorers of the night and I just managed to assist James in his goal. However, our celebration was short when we learned that Sidney had indeed broken his jaw and was going to be out for the rest of the regular season, I felt bad for him because this would have been his third season that he was injured.

We had games against the Sabres three days after the Islanders game, I don’t know what happened, I don’t know if we went in too cocky, or we didn’t have enough passion in the game, but we lost with the final score of four to one. That game killed our fifteen game winning streak, we had won every single game in March, they were saying on NHL Network that it was the ‘March of the Penguins’. But that game on April second, killed the streak.

Though the game after, the away game the very next day was a lot worse. We played against the Rangers and lost with the final score of six to one. It was a grueling game, a violent game, a game where Marc just couldn’t stop the pucks that came at him, it didn’t help that our defense was horrible and our forwards were no better. Pascal was the only one to score for us that night, Bortuzzo and Morrow assisted him and I was just glad that we didn’t give them a shutout. Not only did we have an embarrassing loss, we lost two of our best defensemen, Paul and Kris. Paul had a broken hand and Kris had a broken toe and I just kept thinking that this couldn’t get any worse.

We managed to redeem ourselves two days later when we were back home and playing the Rangers again. We won in a shootout with the final score of two to one; however, we lost James, he was elbowed in the face from Michael Del Zotto, and I may or may not be getting suspended for punching the kid dead in the face for possibly giving James a concussion. James couldn’t remember getting hit, he just knew that the room was spinning and didn’t know why, before checking over him, Doc knew it was a concussion and we all cursed because we lost another good forward. I remembered thinking that this couldn’t get worse after losing Kris and Paul, but someone had to go and prove me wrong. Sidney, James, Paul and Kris were all out on injury and we just needed to pull through somehow.

We had a short break, Saturday to Monday, Tuesday morning we were leaving on our five game road trip. Rookies from Wilkes-Barre were called up and I looked at them and sighed, none of them could be more that nineteen years old.

I took a deep breath and pulled my hat over my head as I exited my gate and headed towards the security section, leaving the airport and calling a cab. I didn’t need to go to baggage claim, I had my carry on and I didn’t really pack a lot.

“Where to?” the driver asked as I got into the backseat.

“Trump Towers,” I stated and smiled while I looked out the window.

“Yes ma’am,” he said and the cab took off. When we pulled in front of the Towers, I pulled out the key and then some money for the fair and tip, “Have a nice day.”

“You too,” I said and then got out of the cab and headed towards the building.

“Ms. Marshall,” I heard and turned my head to see the familiar doorman, “How are you?”

“Hello Henry,” I giggled, “I’m fine.”

“Visiting Mr. Kane?” he asked and I nodded my head, “I’m afraid he’s in-“

“Nashville, I know,” I smiled, “I’m surprising him, he’ll be back tonight,” I said and the doorman chuckled and nodded his head, tipping his hat to me.

“I’ll keep it a secret then, Ms. Marshall.”

“Thank you, Henry,” I said and then walked through the spinning doors and headed for the elevators.

I had a three day break, and I planned on spending that break with Pat. I looked out towards the lobby and sighed, seeing my two familiar tails, Jerk face one and Jerk face two, Chris and Allan, the two FBI agents that were assigned to watch over me until all this gang crap was cleaned up. Though they were a pain in the ass, literally going EVERYWHERE that I went, and James’ two, aren’t any better. I know it was their job, but damn they needed to lighten up. They went nuts when I told them last night after the game that I was flying to Chicago in the morning, it was sort of a last minute decision.

I walked into the elevator and pressed the button for Pat’s floor. I walked out and went to his door, placing the key in the hole and opening the door to see the familiar sight, empty beer cans and piled take out boxes in the trash. I giggled and decided to clean the place up a little, well, not clean, but just pick up. I was tired and it was almost noon, I had an early flight, so I decided to take a nap in his bedroom.

-Kane-
We were all still buzzing about our one to nothing win against the Predators, Bickell’s only goal in the game. Even when we landed back in Chicago at eight thirty at night, even when the bus took us back to the United Center and we parted ways. We had a game tomorrow night against the Predators, they had followed us up from Nashville, and they were going to try and redeem themselves tomorrow night.

I got home, ready to crash, I got to my door and heard my TV and groaned, ‘…Did I forget to turn it off again?...’ I thought as I opened my door and walked over towards the TV and saw that it wasn’t on the usual NHL network, it was on some sort of Reality TV show, ‘…What the fuck?...’ I heard a creak behind me and turned around just in time to be attack, we fell back onto the couch and I caught my breath and realized that the brunette mop on top of me was just the girl that I was in love with, “Maggie?!”

“Hey handsome,” she giggled and pushed herself to lay on top of me, “Nice game.”

“You- You’re here?” I asked and she smiled and nodded her head, “I’m so happy to see you,” I breathed and pressed my lips against hers and felt her arms wrap around my neck and I wrapped my arms around her waist and laid back against the couch, “Mhmmm, you’re not allowed to leave- Like ever.”

Maggie giggled against my ear, “That’s fine with me,” she breathed and I felt her snuggled her face into my neck and I rubbed my hand up her back.

“Yo Pat, did you know- What the fuck?!” we both jumped and I sat up and looked to see that Jon had walked into the room, “Kane! What about Mag- Maggie?” he asked and Maggie smiled and waved towards Jon, “When did you get here?”

Maggie looked at her watch, “About ten hours ago,” she giggled and I smiled and hugged her, “And I was about to snuggled with Pattie here- Wanna join us?”

“No,” Jon and I said at the same time and Maggie giggled.

“Shit, will you at least leave us something to work with tomorrow?” Jon asked and I chuckled.

“I’m actually not gunna let him break the rule,” she said and I looked at her surprised, “But don’t expect him to be there for practice on Monday,” Maggie smiled brightly and I chuckled.

“There is no practice Monday,” Jon said.

“Perfect!” Maggie said and then winked towards me.

“How’s Crosby?” Jon asked as he made his way deeper into the apartment.

“Broken jaw, missing teeth, pain and suffering,” she said and we both sighed, “Mostly won’t be back until playoff time, same with Paulie and Nealer.”

“Damn,” I said and she nodded her head, “Don’t you get hurt, we at least need some sort of challenge to clinch the Presidential Trophy.”

“Fuck off,” Maggie said and Jon and I laughed, “We will get the number one seat back, just you wait!”

“Guess we’ll be waiting a long time,” Jon said and I laughed.

“Maybe it was a mistake coming,” Maggie pouted, but I could see the smirk on her face.

“Oh hush,” I said and she giggled.

“All right, it’s late, I’ll let you guys go,” Jon said and headed for the door.

“Hey Tazer!” I yelled out and he looked at me, “What did you come over for?”

“Oh, yeah, did you know that Sharpie’s gunna be a dad?” Jon asked.

“He’s already a dad,” I stated stupidly and then felt Maggie slap me on top of the head.

“Abby’s having another baby?” Maggie asked happily and Jon smirked and nodded his head, “When’s the baby due?”

“October,” he said and Maggie giggled, “What?”

“Someone got it on, on Valentine’s Day,” she said and Jon and I laughed because it added up, nine months after February was October.

“When are you and Kaner gunna start popping out mini yous?” Jon asked and I think both Maggie and my eyes were wide and I was pretty sure, by Jon’s laugher, we were both blushing.

“Not for a long, long, long time,” she stated and I looked at him.

‘…But she wants to!...’ I thought and smirked.

“I want to get a few more seasons in before I think about settling down-“

“As a Hawk,” Jon added in there and Maggie giggled and nodded her head.

“As long as you put the offer in, I’ll be a Hawk at the end of the 2014 season-“

“Maybe in the middle of the season,” I said and they looked at me, “Never know, we could trade for you, before the deadline?”

“Maybe,” Maggie said and she smiled towards me and then pressed her lips against mine.

“And that’s my signal to leave,” Jon said and Maggie and I laughed, “Can you wait until I’m on the bottom floor before you fuck?!”

“I’m not-“

“It’s Kaner- You will,” Jon said and then left and I smirked towards Maggie.

“I’m up for it,” I said and Maggie smirked towards me.

“There are other things that are up,” she breathed and we both looked down at the hard on wanting to push out of my pants.

“It’s got a mind of its own,” I said and Maggie laughed and pressed her lips again mine, ‘…Well all right then…’