The Land of Sorrow

Chapter 1

Once there was a large city where all were happy and full of life, the reason for this was because everybody was an angel, a full-blooded angel at that. The city was called The Land of Solace. Everything changed when a swarm of disturbed demons took over the town. The civilians of The Land of Solace would never even hurt a fly so why would they fight a large army of demons? Demons first started taking over the villages where the civilians lived and then they worked their way up to the castle where the royalty lived. The king and queen of The Land of Solace tried everything they could to run the demons out. Once the demons took over their kingdom, the angels were made into servants and slaves. The demons’ leader was named Serenity; he was a male demon with a feminine name. No wonder he was always fuming. Serenity renamed the now destroyed city “The Land of Sorrow.”
A hundred years later in The Land of Sorrow, the people of the city still remained to have the traits of an angel, they had angel in their blood but not very much. They didn’t even know the history of their city and how there were once angels and how they are demons.
Serenity, the leader of the demons became king he made one of the angel’s from the villages his queen. He still made her his servant and slave over him, day and night. Her name was Mary Belle. She had long, blonde curly locks of hair and icy, blue eyes, and it matched her heart-shaped face. Her frame was small but she was quite strong. Serenity kept Mary Belle working from dusk till dawn; she cleaned the castle with a group of maids as well as cooked the meals, washed the clothing, and took care of the kids that she birthed. She knew if she didn’t obey him that he would hurt her or possibly kill her.
Many generations down from Serenity and Mary Belle was a girl named Trinity, she was a hunter in The Land of Sorrow. The hunters hunted everything from squirrels to deer. She went for the faster animals, such as the squirrels, the rabbits, and raccoons.
In the middle of hunting, Trinity held up her bow, aiming at a raccoon. It was right in front of her feeding for a carcass of a deer. Trinity made a face in disgust, how could one feed off of raw meat.
Trinity pulled her bow back and then let go, the bow flew off into the air shooting the raccoon. Trinity slowly walked up to the raccoon and picked it up. “Mmm, raccoon meat. “She said, sarcastically. She grabbed her bows and arrows along with the dead raccoon then walked through the woods and back to the village so her father could skin the raccoon and put it into the meat smoker for dinner.
Hours later, Trinity and her family were eating smoked raccoon, corn on the cob that was smothered in butter, baked potatoes with sour cream, and dinner rolls.
“How come Trinity always hunts the smallest animals?” Trinity’s little brother, Gage, asked while picking at his raccoon meat with his fork. Trinity looked across the table at him and gave him the death stare. “I hunt the fastest animals, not the smallest ones.” She mumbled. She picked up her corn and took a bite out of it, continuing to keep eye contact with Gage. He frowned and ate a piece of his raccoon meat.
After dinner, Trinity cleaned up the table and washed the dishes. Once she finished, she trudged up the stairs and went into her bedroom. There was a record player in her room and a few albums lying on the table next to it. Trinity picked up one of the albums, “Abbey Road” by The Beatles. She put the album onto the record player and the song “Come Together” began playing. She closed her eyes and slowly swayed along to the music, her world rocking beneath her. She opened his eyes and dizzily fell onto her bed, she tossed and turned before she could actually get comfortable. Trinity laid out on her bed covering up with the thin sheet and slowly fell asleep to the mesmerizing music.
The next morning Trinity followed her daily routine. She got out from her rock-hard bed, went to the bathroom and cleaned up, then getting dressed in the same clothing she wore everyday, her mother washed the clothing; then she would eat breakfast usually it would be scrambled eggs and toast with butter covered on it and go outside walking into the woods to hunt. Whatever she killed usually ended up being their dinner and this went on every single day.
This day was different; as Trinity was walking into the woods she heard branches cracking. She got out her bow and aimed it, holding the bow up and looking around her surroundings. “Who’s there?” Her voice echoed. She stopped at a large figure, a male. He put his hands up in surrender. “I’m sorry, I was on a hunt.” He apologized lifting up his bow. He grabbed one of the arrows out from his sling and began to twirl it in his fingers as if it were a baton. Trinity eyed him. In her village, she was told to be cautious around strangers; they could end up being your enemy. Trinity held up her bow still aiming it at him. She put it away and began sprinting back to the village. The trees flew by quickly in her peripheral vision as she ran by. The man’s voice echoed but she couldn’t understand what he said. She began panting as she ran and she stopped, sitting on a tree stump stuck in the dirt. She could see the man’s figure running after her and he reached her before she could stand back up. He stopped her in her place. The man had shaggy, sandy blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes with specks of gold in them. He looked like he was around his early twenties. In fact, he didn’t look very old at all. He must have had been from the village neighboring her.
Trinity looked up at the man, panting with her tongue out as if she were a tiresome dog. “Why did you follow me?” She asks, irritated.
The man chuckles, “I was going to ask you if you had an arrow you could spare.” The corners of his lips curving into a smile, “I didn’t mean to bug you.”
Oh, okay.” She said with a confused expression her face. She grabbed an arrow out from her sling then handed it to him.
“I owe you one!” He exclaimed, taking the arrow and running off into the distance.
Trinity continued to walk to the village, trudging through the tall weeds that stuck out from the grass-covered ground and the blooming flowers.
When Trinity reached home, she explained how she didn’t get to hunt and how there was a stranger in the woods; someone who she was pretty sure was from a different village, possibly the one neighboring them.
“What did this boy look like?” Her father’s low-pitched voice asked.
“Well, he had dirty blonde hair and it was messy, and he had brown eyes. He was kind of tall, he was strong-built like you.” Trinity explained.
“Did he communicate with you in any way?” He asked, unlacing his boots.
Trinity nodded, “He asked if I had any arrows to spare so a gave him one. He only had one in his sling.”
“Well, that was a very kind of you. Very well but the next time you see this boy, tell him he owes you an arrow. Arrows are very expensive nowadays, good arrows at least.”
Trinity smiled and nodded. “I plan on it.”
Hours later, it was time for dinner. They didn’t have any smoked meat so they all walked to the market and bought noodles with vegetables. It was a lot more expensive than what hunting and it had smaller portions.
They brought the food back home and cooked the noodles and stirred in the vegetables along with it. You could smell the peas, the carrots, and the corn from a mile away because of how strong it was. It smelled like a stew even though it was just noodles with vegetables.
The small family of four sat down outside on a quilted blanket and watched the sunset while eating their noodles. Trinity stared out off into the distance, watching the sun as it painted the sky beautiful colors of fuchsia and peach. As she finished eating her noodles, the set finally set and the sky transformed into black and the sky sparkled with stars, covering the entire sky. As she stared up at the sky, she seen what she thought was shooting. Into the distance, she heard shooting of a gun. She immediately shot up from the ground as well as her family and they ran inside, grabbing all of their weapons. Trinity’s parents made her and her brother, Gage, hide in their hidden basement under their house. All of the houses in their village had built-in basements in times of war. Outside, the sounds of the shots were getting louder and there were voices yelling, you could even hear shrieks and screams in the distance. Trinity held her brother close her and slid her gun into her holster, loaded in case anyone found the hidden basement. All houses in their village were arranged the same. They all had a family room, a large kitchen, four bedrooms and two bathrooms with a washroom for washing and drying their clothing. Inside the family room was a carpet, underneath the carpet was a door, hidden and covered. The door went underneath the house, into a large room underground. The door locked from the outside once it closed so whoever had to open it would have a key to open it unless you were in the room.
Trinity’s eyes were widened and her breathing grew silent. As her breathing grew silent so did the noise outside. All she could hear was her brother’s whimpering and him choking on his tears. Trinity let go of her brother and she stood up, opening the latch on the door. She swung open the door and climbed through.
“Stay there, Gage.” Trinity said, her voice echoing into the large room. “I’ll be right back. I’ve got to look for mom and dad.” She said before shutting the door. She walked around the house, searching for her parents. They weren’t there. She opened the front door and looked outside, trees had fallen, fires lit up the sky, and dead bodies were laid on the ground in puddles of blood. Trinity looked from left to right to see if her parents were around. She stepped out from her door way and passed by all of the bodies, looking at their faces to see if they matched her parents. She knew every single one, some were her friends, some were her enemies, some were her neighbors, and some were her teachers. Her face was left expressionless. She was prepared for this, this war. She was taught to not reach out to a person to the point where she began to have feelings for them. You never knew when the war would depart. It was going to happen, no one knew when. The war was against all of the villages in The Land of Solace, none knew when it would be. No one knew that it would be a hundred years later or a century later. The war benefited the kingdom, it brought in more food and more supplies for the royalty because the population decreased and less food and supplies were used.
Trinity sprinted back to her house running inside and before she went into the basement she grabbed the key from the kitchen and she unlocked it, going inside then stood in front of her brother.
“Gage, get packing.”