‹ Prequel: Always
Status: in progress

Situation Overload

We'll meet again when both our cars collide

"Alright guys. It's getting late, I'm going to head to bed. Alex, Jack can drive you home, or you're welcome to spend the night on the couch?" Mikaylah and Dean were already fast asleep in their shared bedroom, Dean was trusted to look after his younger sibling, and the clock struck midnight, when Sally decided to turn in for the night.

"Lex, you should stay the night, we can talk a bit longer, and then I'll sort you out." Jack stood up to get another beer for them both, and Alex just stared at Jack with wide eyes, was he hearing things, or did Jack just say he was going to sort.him.out. When Jack turned around and caught Alex's eye, he was confused at first. "Wha- what did I say..?.." Jack looked at him quizzically, and Alex raised a cheeky eyebrow in return. "Ohmygod, I did not mean it like that. You dirty dirty boy." Jack smirked, loving Alex's suddenly dirty mind. He couldn't wait to see how far this stretched. Hah. Stretched.

"Hey man I'm not objecting!" Alex laughed. Jack grinned.

"Don't you think it's weird that we've met twice since high school." It wasn't really a question, more of a, it's-late-let-me-tell-you-my-feelings thing. Jack and Alex were lying on the sofas, sometimes it was quiet, but they were comfortable in each other's silence, and Alex was the one to break it.

"Yeah. But a good weird. Right?"

"Yeah." Alex confirmed, and then muttered to himself- "Each time it ends badly though."

"We're like a frickin time bomb." Jack complained.

"Destined to explode." Alex spoke exactly what Jack was thinking. "That's good shit I should write that down man."

"Lexy, we're 32. You're not gonna be in a pop punk band that gets to tour the world and play in festivals, let it go." Jack joked. Alex pouted.

"If the kids don't believe, make them believe." answered back Alex.

"Gasp. Is that plagiarism? Mr Gaskarth! I AM SHOCKED AT YOU, GOOD SIR." Jack mocked.

"Shuddup." Alex rolled his eyes.

"Make me." Jack raised an eyebrow, Alex mirrored him.

"How exactly would you like me to do that, Mr Barafag?"

"Hmm. Like this." and Jack leant forward and kissed Alex. Alex froze, and then pulled away quickly.

"Jack. You're married with kids, we can't do this, not now, not ever." Alex wasn't going to let Jack fuck up his life, and especially wasn't going to let Jack fuck up his life for him. He wouldn't be able to live with that on his conscience.

"Shit. Fuck man, I know you're right. B-but I. I still love you. I thought if I didn't have to see you I could bury the feelings but then I turned around and there you were and everything came back."

"I seriously can't believe I'm saying this, but Jack we can't do this. You know we can't, it'll be pointless anyway, we'll just explode, and I can't go through that heart ache a third time. And even more importantly, kids. Two beautiful, sweet, adorable, innocent children. I know what it was like for my parents to divorce because of an affair, it was hell. I'm not having it happen to your children." Alex stood firm. If he was an arrogant, self absorbed twat, he'd have kissed Jack back, but that's not who Alex is, and so he didn't.

"B-but Lex, I love you. I don't love Sally. Don't I have the right to be with the one I love?!" Jack argued, in a hushed tone, not wanting Sally to interfere, or the kids to wake up.

"You do, of course you do, but not now, okay? You need to be a good husband and a responsible father."

"I hate how you're right." Jack shook his head, and Alex could've sworn he saw a tear get shaken off his pale face. "Night Lexy. I love you."

"Goodnight Jack."

Alex didn't sleep at all that night, to say he was conflicted was beyond an understatement. He loved Jack, but he couldn't fuck up Dean or Mikaylah's lives, or Sally for that matter. She's a pretty girl, she'd find another man. But what if she truly loves Jack? That is what tends to be the situation between married people. But Alex loved Jack, and Jack loved Alex. What if she doesn't? She'll have men tripping over one another just to catch a glimpse. But then of course, a lot of men are put off by children, they need stability, and one night stands didn't really fit the bill. That means a lot less men chasing after her. What if she never found another man? Then who'd pay for the children's education, or health care? But Alex loved Jack, and Jack loved Alex.

Jack didn't sleep either. He wasn't conflicted or confused. The way he felt towards Sally was definitely not love, he knew because he now had his feelings towards Alex to compare with. Jack just regretted opening up to Alex so soon. It would scare and really bother him, and Jack wouldn't be able to handle that in a way that looked totally platonic to outsiders, he'd want to hug him, so close, and so quiet that they can feel each other's hearts beating in sync with the other. He'd want to hold Alex's frail waist as he kissed him, softly and slowly, perhaps with a gentle bite of Alex's lip. He'd want to make love to him, but only if Alex wanted to too, carefully, cautiously, lovingly.

Alex loved Jack, and Jack loved Alex, but their current situation really was a bit of a car crash analogy, well, it could be if you were pretentious enough to conbine personification with some serious BS. The cars were so drawn to one another, each car beautiful in it's own way, sleek, shiny, complimented even more by the other, until they hit, there's fire, implosion, death, and more, if you do care to stick around.
♠ ♠ ♠
title credit- MCR, helena