Status: Complete

Masquerade

Stop and Stare at the Sea of Smiles Around You

“How’d you get into my apartment?” Tegan mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

“I know where you keep the spare key. It’s been in the same place for the last three years –you should consider moving it,” James replied.

Tegan pulled the covers back over her head. “Oh I’m considering it alright. I’m sick and tired of you waking me up at the crack of dawn.”

“You always say that, but you never do it,” was his retort. He grabbed the bottom of her comforter and tugged it from the mattress, “I’m starting to think that you might actually enjoy my early morning wake up calls.”

Tegan chucked her pillow at his head. “I do not!” she exclaimed, “Maybe I forget because I’m sleep deprived. Did that ever go through your thick skull?”

James snorted, “It’s eight in the morning, hardly the crack of dawn. The crack of dawn would be four-thirty when I get up.”

Tegan collapsed back on her bed with a sigh. “Well, you didn’t get off the night shift earlier this morning,” she countered.

Typical Tegan, James thought. “Always have to have the last word, don’t you,” he chuckled.

She stuck her tongue out in response.

“If I make coffee will that get you out of bed?” he spoke in attempt to entice her outside.

Tegan perked up immediately, “Did you say coffee?”

Her eyes immediately narrowed. “You never make coffee. What do you have up your sleeve?” she asked shrewdly.

James placed a hand on his chest and feigned innocence, “Tegan are you suggesting that I have an ulterior motive?”

Her lips tightened into a thin line as she nodded. “You’re never this nice to me unless you want something,” she surmised.

James blew out an exaggerated gust of breath –Busted. “Sid’s having a barbecue today and all the guys said it wouldn’t be a party unless you were there,” he told her, scratching nervously at his beard.

A perfectly arched eyebrow rose, “And?”

“And it’s in about an hour so you need to get out of bed now if we’re going to be on time to help set up,” James added quickly with a sheepish smile.

“How long ago did you know about this party?” Tegan asked anyway, knowing full well what the answer would be.

He winced, “…two weeks ago.”

Tegan rolled her eyes. Typical James, leaving everything to the last minute. She threw the other pillow at him, “I’ve seen you five times in the time period!”

He gripped his neck. “I know! I know! You know how I am about these things,” he tried to explain.

“Yes I do know. You’re lucky I’m your best friend. There are some people that wouldn’t be so lenient with you,” she chided, but despite her best efforts smiled anyway, “You could make it up to me by bringing me coffee in bed.”

“Don’t move a muscle, I’ll be right back,” James winked, smiling in return.

He returned five minutes later with a steaming cup in his hand. He passed it over, “Coffee for my caffeine addict.”

Tegan’s smile widened imperceptibly at the comment. She was his caffeine addict. Not anyone else’s, just his. The smile faltered, too bad she was only his friend –not something more.

“Am I forgiven?” he asked slinging an arm around her neck.

Tegan’s eyes narrowed in contemplation. “Partially,” she answered slowly, taking a sip.

“Good, then I can do this without extra penalty,” James spoke. With a wicked grin curling his lips, James tightened his grip around her neck. He burrowed his knuckles into her scalp and yelled, “Noogie!”

Coffee sloshed onto Tegan’s bare legs. “James! Stop it!” she cried out, fighting to get away from him to no avail.

She set the coffee on the nearby nightstand and then fought back. She was no match for a NHL hockey player though. Each strike she flew at James was easily thrown aside. The two continued to wrestle around and when James’ victory was near, Tegan stuck a finger in her mouth. With a loud ‘plop!’ she removed her pointer finger from her mouth and stuck it James’ ear.

In a matter of seconds he jumped back.

“Eww! That’s disgusting Tegan!” he cried out in disgust. “You can’t give someone a wet willy, that’s really childish,” he told her, rubbing at his ear.

“Yeah, says the guy who was giving me a noogie thirty seconds ago,” she retorted.

“That’s different and you know it!”

An eyebrow rose. “Really now?”

“Yeah! Besides, you were cheating!” he accused.

Tegan shrugged. “I think you’re just being a sore loser. I found a way to win. It was unorthodox, but it worked.”

James shoved her back into the bed. “Look who’s being childish now,” Tegan sat up and laughed. He stuck his tongue out at her.

“Go get dressed Tegs before I decide to leave without you,” he spoke, the threat clearly empty.

Tegan fell back onto the mattress dramatically, with the back of her hand against her forehead, “Oh, whatever will I do?”

He threw a pillow at her. “C’mon meathead. Hurry up,” he said, the hint of a smile playing on his lips.

Tegan rose and pointed a finger at him. “Only if you forgive me,” she informed him.

James rolled his eyes. “Duh, of course I forgive you. Do you forgive me?” he asked.

“Yes, I forgive you jerk face.”

They pulled up in front of Sid’s house twenty minutes later. James laid on the horn a couple times to announce their arrival. The pair climbed out of James’ SUV and walked up the driveway. A sign on the door told them to head around back. James grabbed her hand and led them to the backyard. Paul was the first person they ran into.

“I thought that was you laying on the horn. What gives man? It sounded like you were killing a goose,” he teased.

Paul’s gaze traveled to Tegan. He looked back at James and his smile grew. “Well what do you know, Nealer managed to sweet talk you into coming. What’d he bribe you with? Money? Food?”

“Just the pleasure of your company,” Tegan replied with a playful grin.

“Ah, I see. He promised you hot men,” Paul winked, earning himself a shove from James.

Tegan pulled him into a hug, “Always a pleasure Paulie.”

Paul pulled away first, placing his hand on the small of her back. “You’re doing well though Teg? Keeping this idiot in check?” he inquired.

“About as much as any woman can,” Tegan joked. James merely rolled his eyes.

Sid walked in behind them. He was carrying a cooler large enough to fit Tegan inside. “Hey Neal! You’re late!” the Penguins captain told him, passing the cooler over.

James shifted container to better distribute its weight. “I had to make a pit stop,” he replied, motioning over to Tegan.

Sid waved. “Hiya Tegan.”

Tegan waved back just as awkwardly. “Looks like I’m yours to order around Cap,” she said.

“Great, Vero’s in the kitchen putting together the buffet table. Would you be able to help out?” he asked.

Pascal passed by with several litres of pop in tow. “Yeah Tegs! Get back into the kitchen!” he called out.

Sid’s eyes widened in horror. “I didn’t mean it like that,” he hurriedly explained.

Tegan smiled in hopes to soothe him, “Relax Sid, I know you didn’t. I’m also not stupid. If I can get out of doing heavy labor I’m all for it. I’d be useless anyway –my body isn’t made for lifting,” she told him motioning down her short, slender frame.

She looked up at Pascal who wore an easy grin. “But that doesn’t mean I won’t, at least, pretend to be offended. Your ass is grass Duper! That cute Frenchman act isn’t going to work on me!” she quipped, half-heartedly shaking her fist at him. They had always given each other a hard time. It was easy to banter with Pascal because there really was no line to be crossed. Nothing really bothered either of them.

James slung an arm around her shoulder and kissed her temple, “That’s my girl,” he mumbled into her hair.

Tegan shoved him away. “If you’re not careful your ass will be planted next to Pascal’s,” she retorted, fighting to keep the flush from her cheeks.

“Has this goof invited you to the charity dinner yet?” Dupuis asked.

Tegan turned to James. “What charity dinner?” she asked, her heart rate picking up.

Pascal chuckled, “I take that as a no then.”

“It’s nothing special,” James pushed the idea aside as if it were nothing.

“What are you talking about? It’s a masquerade ball. Girls go nuts for that kind of stuff,” Pascal said incredulously.

“Tegan’s not like other girls though,” James told him.

Just like that, all Tegan’s hopes popped like a balloon. “Yeah you’re right. It doesn’t sound like my kind of thing,” she replied meekly, trying to mask the dejected look tugging at her features.

Tegan pulled a hand through her hair and let out a nervous chuckle. She’d also gripped the back of her neck out of habit. “I’m going to go inside and help Vero out. Sid’s probably told her I’m here and she’ll be wondering where I am,” she told the guys, before heading to the patio door.

Vero was elbow deep in salad when Tegan approached, her hands rhythmically tossing the contents around. When she noticed Tegan’s presence, she looked up and smiled. Tegan waved.
“What’s with the frown?” Vero asked almost instantaneously, her eyes rounded in concern.

“What frown? I’ve been doing nothing but smiling all day,” Tegan denied, forcing a smile onto her lips, “See?”

Vero laid a hand on Tegan’s cheek. “I meant the sadness in your eyes,” Vero stated, her own eyes scouring Tegan’s face.

“Uhm…Vero? You’re getting salad dressing all over my face,” Tegan informed her, a hearty laugh bursting from her throat.

“Oh I know I am,” Vero replied nonchalantly, “but it worked n’est-ce pas?” She wiped her hands off on a towel. “You smiled for real this time and it lit up your eyes,” she smiled back.

The grin was still upon her lips when Tegan said, “You and Marc always know what to do, eh? You guys always know how to make somebody laugh.”

“We’re perfect for each other,” Vero gushed, a rosy tint spreading across the apples of her cheeks. “Now spill the beans, just not those ones,” she said pointing to the baked beans already on the table, “What’s bothering you?”

“James didn’t invite me to the charity dinner next week because he thought I wouldn’t want to go. According to him ‘I’m not like other girls’ and that means I get invited to baseball games –not masquerade balls,” Tegan vented as she set condiments on the buffet table.

Vero carried over a fruit platter. “Ah, I see. You wanted him to take you because you’re still head over heels for him,” She blatantly announced.

Tegan’s head whipped around to make sure no one was around. “Will you keep your voice down,” she hissed, clearly alarmed, “Someone might hear you.”

Vero raised her hands up in defense. “Sorry! Sorry!” She apologized and then quickly explained her casual handling of the subject. “It’s not exactly a secret. It’s written all over your face when you’re with him. ”

Tegan’s eyes widened. “I hadn’t realized I was that obvious,” She murmured.

Vero nodded empathetically and then suggested shortly thereafter, “What’s to stop you from going on your own?”

“The fact that I don’t have a ticket?” Tegan spoke matter-of-factly.

“You could be my plus-one,” Vero shrugged.

Tegan blinked twice. “Are you serious?”

“Of course I’m serious! We could pull out all the stops. You know, buy a gorgeous dress, get our hair done –all that girly stuff,” Vero exclaimed, shaking Tegan’s shoulders excitedly.

“I don’t know…”

“C’mon! Show Nealer what he’s missing!” Vero urged, “You said it yourself; he’s not going to ask you because he sees you as one of the guys. This is your chance to show him you’re a woman. This is your chance to show him how you feel!”

Tegan clenched her eyes shut. “Alright! Alright! I’ll go!” She conceded.

Vero high-fived her, “This is going to be so awesome!”

Tegan bit her lip, “I can’t wait…”
♠ ♠ ♠
New story! Yay! This one is going to be more of a short story. I hope to keep it at three chapters tops. I got the idea and I just had to write it down. The story and chapter titles were pulled from this song .

This story will probably be slow going, but my other works (more like work to be honest) will not really be affected by it.

As always, comments, predictions, and/or questions are greatly appreciated (I really do love hearing what you guys have to say)!