Sequel: Folie à Deux

From Under the Cork Tree

Seven

Talking to Pete the entire night was pretty nice. He was funny, he and I had the same type of humor, and we easily shot back at each other with jokes. He made me feel comfortable, just like a friend would.

Though, I was surprised he didn't mingle with the guest, he hung out with me while I drank. I didn't get too drunk, I was coherent, I was able to keep up and comeback at Pete every time he made fun of me. He was cool, I was actually looking forward to talking more with him; he was crazy and funny, I liked that, and he made things interesting.

He didn't say much about his personal life, which I was okay with. Pete mostly asked me what my favorite things were, and then we talked about movies and bands. He and I had a love for the Cure, but he was more into Morrissey than I am; he was into science fiction, while I liked romantic comedies and horror movies. We both were obsessed with Chuck Palahniuk, and our favorite book was Invisible Monsters.

Pete was more like a brother to me than anything else. I didn't find him attractive in that way, of course, but I still thought he was cute. His smile is infectious, and his humor had me in stitches; his big hearty laugh only made me laugh harder. I knew then that if I wasn't with Beatz, I would be with Pete. But, I don't know if I would've known the things I did then had I immediately fallen for his charm.

By the time the party was over, Rae and Andy had come up to us where we were sitting on the other side of the room. Rae had two burgundy gift bags with her, handing me one.

"What's this?" I asked her as I took it.

Pete answered, "It's a gift bag; it has a t-shirt, the cd, keychains, a free membership to the fan club...and I think my heart."

Andy and Rae both snorted, I shook my head at his stupid lopsided grin; "You're so hilarious, Pete. Seriously, if this band thing doesn't work out, you should be a comedian."

"I have my first fan!" He hugged my body sideways. "I love you too, Angelus."

I pushed Pete off of me, "You don't know me enough to love me."

He squeezed me again, harder, "Ooh! Yes I do! You smell good..."

I pushed him away again, "Pete, stop."

He chuckled, "Nah, really, what're you wearing?"

"It's something from Victoria Secret called Sweet Pea," I mumbled.

Pete leaned in and sniffed my hair, "Mm, you smell good--"

I pushed him away, "Watch yourself, fool!"

Pete chuckled, "Okay, okay."

Rae cleared her throat, "Hate to break up the love fest, but we should be going, it's late."

I exhaled, "Yeah, okay."

I got up, Pete did the same; I was a bit dizzy, but I managed to regain my balance. Pete was watching me, "You okay, Angel?"

"I'm fine," I swallowed, "I haven't been drunk in awhile."

Rae put her arm around my waist, "I got you. We're gonna take a taxi home."

"No way," Andy cut in, "we'll have Charlie drive you. He's gonna take us to our place too."

"Thanks," Rae said.

Pete was still looking me over, he wasn't smiling or grinning, he actually looked a bit worried. Me being drunk, I didn't question it; I was growing tired, and I don't really remember much, aside from Pete saying, "Problem Guy, get the car!"


I woke up dazed, but I came back to earth once the pounding in my head commenced. Champagne always fucks me up, and I'm not sure why I drank so many glasses last night. I rolled over in my bed and found Rae sleeping beside me, snoring softly; the both of us were still in our dresses.

I didn't wake her, I got up out of bed and yanked my dress off, walking to the bathroom in just my underwear. I opened the medicine cabinet and got some Tylenol and swallowed two capsules. I began to brush my teeth; after a minute, I heard my sidekick ringing, so I went to go find it.

I found it on the floor next to the gift bags from last night on my bedroom floor near the door. I picked it up, seeing Pete's name pop up; I was glad I changed it.

"Yeah?" I spoke muffled, heading back to the bathroom, toothbrush in my mouth.

"Hey Angel! Whose dick you got in your mouth?"

I growled, spitting in the sink, "I'm brushing my teeth, you son of a bitch. Whadda want?"

He laughed, "I'm checking up on you! You drank a lot last night, and you were flirting with me."

"In your dreams," I mumbled as I began to brush my tongue.

"Yeah, I'm hoping dreams come true, sweetness. How do you feel?"

"Like shit. Why?"

"Like I said, I'm checking up on you, Angelus. Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?" He cooed.

"You can fuck off," I said before spitting toothpaste out.

Pete sucked his teeth, "Is that any way to talk to your new friend?"

"Yes," I retorted. "I'm fine, by the way, Pete, I just woke up. I'm standing in my underwear about to take a shower."

That's when he purred, "Ooh yeah, baby? What else?"

"You're a fucking pig, you know that?"

He laughed, "Yes I do! I'm kiddin', baby, you know that! Anyway, the second reason I called was because we're-- me and my stud muffin Patrick Stump, are going to hang out at City Walk and I wanted to know if you wanted to come."

I sighed, "No. I'm not in the having fun mood at the moment."

"How about later?"

The tone in his voice sounded almost sad; like a child bribing someone to play with him. I felt bad, I didn't want to turn him down; honestly, I was afraid of hurting his feelings. So, I hummed, finding something to say.

"I...uh...I'm gonna go into the farmer's market with my dog later. Wanna meet for coffee or somethin'?"

"Starbucks?"

I chuckled, shutting my eyes as the stinging pain from my head throbbed, "Uh--yeah, yeah. Sure. What time is it?"

"12:30," he said. "Wanna meet at 2?"

"Yeah, okay, 2. I just needa get rid of my hangover."

"Alright, babe. See ya."

I knew it was useless to reprimand him, so I didn't, "See you later, Pete."

I hung up, and set my sidekick aside, then turn on the faucet to splash my face. I felt too tired to shower, but I wanted to, to feel some comfort. Before I made me way to the shower, Rae came into the bathroom, she had shaken her dress off too.

"Hey. How hungover are ya?" She asked.

"I got a headache, but I'll live. How're you?"

"Brilliant," she smiled. "Andy nursed me before we went home. I'm gonna see him soon, actually."

"You can borrow somethin' of mine," I told her.

"Thanks," she smiled, "I'm gonna throw some shorts and sweatshirt on and head home. I'll call you, yeah?"

I nodded, "Yeah, see ya."

Rae waved, flashing her loving smile at me before disappearing from my bathroom entrance. I didn't have the energy to explain what I had planned for the day, I just wanted to shower. Anyway, she'd be with Andy all afternoon while I would be with Pete and Patrick; I'm sure Andy would fill her in.


My parents and I walked around the farmer's market with our dogs; my dad's Dobermans Lasso and Hero. Cupid padded beside me, he looked so happy as he bounced on his small paws. He sniffed random feet and legs, and little kids cooed and awed at him.

My dad bought some fresh fruits and veggies, while my mom took Lasso and went to look at the jewelry. I led Cupid around the fried foods, not looking for anything in particular. I just walked, getting some exercise with my dog. As we turned around, my phone buzzed in my bag, so I reached in and saw it was a text message from Pete.

Pete Wentz: I C U

Angelus: Can u see this? I lifted my hand and raised my middle finger, looking around.

I saw Pete across the street at a Starbucks. He flipped me right off, smirking at me with his free hand shielding his eyes from the sun. I had sunglasses on and could see him perfectly.

Pete Wentz: Come ova here! I wanna meet ur dog

I shook my head and headed across the street; my parents already knew my plans and weren't too worried about leaving me. My dad made me promise to call him if Pete or Patrick tried any funny stuff. I knew they wouldn't, but I humored my old man and agreed I would.

I only saw Pete and his dog Hemingway when I got there. He smiled at me, "Hey Angel."

"Hey Pete. Where's Patrick?"

Pete grinned, his infamous mischievous grin, "At the apartment."

"Oh my God," I muttered, "seriously?"

"Look," Pete smiled softly now, "he was too tired to come, so I took Hemy off Dirty's hands and decided to meet you. Are you disappointed?"

I shook my head, "No, but I thought I would have a buffer when you started to get inappropriate."

"You were lovin' it last night," he accused.

"I was drunk."

"Keep tellin' yourself that, Angel Face," he winked.

I exhaled, "Okay, fine. Watch Cupid while I got get a coffee."

He took Cupid's leash, and winked again as I went inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, what do you think is gonna go down between them? You may be surprised!