Sequel: Folie à Deux

From Under the Cork Tree

Nine

I was at home, bored out of my mind thinking about Beatz. Yes, I thought of him more than often. I dream about him a lot; but these past few months, he's been on my mind constantly. It was weird, but I guess it was because he was gone most of the time. Today was no different than the last, only Pete came to mind as soon as I let Cupid out to go.

I watched Cupid skip down the stairs and run to the backyard, all while Pete slipped into my head. It was funny how I thought of him, he was like this phantom limb I couldn't shake, almost like Beatz was, but Beatz is my better half. Pete made me laugh like no one else could; even Rae had a selective way to make me comfortable that wasn't like Pete. I felt like Pete was the sibling I never had that I had been missing for 23 years; I felt like I could tell him a lot of things that I couldn't tell anyone else -things I only told Beatz. It was weird how easily I trusted Pete, and so fast...it kinda freaked me out, but I've had weirder and crazier things happen.

My mind wondered while watching out the front door, I didn't even see a van pull up. I definitely didn't see someone climb out and make their way to the front of my black iron gate. I was oblivious until the gate slammed shut, causing me to jump, and look down; my heart jumped in my throat when I saw Beatz standing there, squinting up at me.

"You just gonna stare at me, Lus, or come say hey?"

All thoughts of Pete flew out of my head as I raced down the steps to get to Beatz. He dropped his duffle bag and let me leap into his arms. I held him tight, as if he'd disappear at any given moment; "You lied to me," I muttered against his neck.

"Yeah, I know, but the surprise was better than I could've imagined," he chuckled.

I exhaled deeply, feeling his lips brush against my neck, "I missed you."

"I missed you too, Angel."

I pulled back from Beatz, taking his hand, while he picked up his bag, "C'mon, I have leftovers."

He laughed, "Just what I need."


I didn't even think about the so-called surprise Beatz had for me for the first 24 hours he was with me. He hung out in my house, watching TV in nothing but shorts and tank tops, eating junk food. I was lying across his lap, watching TV, but not really watching, I was more lost in thought.

I could feel his hand trailing across my exposed thigh, he too was doing this absentmindedly. I rolled my head to look at him, "What do you wanna do today?"

Beatz chuckled and looked down at me, "This. I have 3 weeks of spring with my girl, I'm not gonna waste it."

I sat up, "Yeah, but your girl has to work tomorrow up in Topanga."

Beatz made a face, "Well fuck."

"You can come with me, as long as you aren't in the way."

He smiled, "Good. I can make sure all these rock stars keep their filthy paws to themselves."

"Oh shoot, I can't bring my other boyfriend over then," I joked.

Beatz smirked, knowing full well I was kidding, "Bring 'im here and I'll kill him."

I giggled, "I'm so sure, tough guy."

"Who is your other boyfriend? Pete Wentz?"

I exasperated, "He wishes."

"I bet he does."

I leaned over and kissed him, "I only have eyes for you...my tall, creepy, and slightly tanned bad ass boyfriend."

Beatz smiled softly, placing his head on my shoulder, "I only have eyes for ya, too, Angel."

I kissed the top of his head, but not long after, he got up, "I gotta get something."

"Get me a soda, will ya?"

He hummed, "Anything for you, princess."

I sighed contently, wanting to spend the rest of my life like this. It was too perfect, so it was no surprise when my phone began to ring. I groaned outwardly, "No," I whined.

My phone rang and rang, Beatz had come back, handed me a cold can, and gave me a look as he plopped down, "Who are you avoiding?"

"The entire world," I pouted.

"Just for me?" He batted his lashes.

I nodded, "Yep. I love you that much, B."

He gave me a crooked grin, causing butterflies to swarm, "Aw, I love you too. But the ringing is annoying."

I sighed dramatically, got up, grabbed and answered my phone just before it went to voicemail, "Yeah?"

"Hey Angel Face."

"Wentz," I muttered as I returned to lying across Beatz's lap. "I'm on vacation, Whadda want?"

"I heard your man is in town," Pete said joyously.

I exhaled, "And? He's mine for the next few weeks, so you can just quit while you're ahead."

"I'm after you, not him," he chuckled. "And him being there won't stop me."

I knew he was kidding, I smiled and shook my head, "Sure, whatever you say, Pete. Why'd you call, to bust my balls?"

"Wasn't aware you had some, now I'm very much intrigued to see you naked."

"In your dreams," I muttered. "Really, dude, why are you calling?"

"I heard big bad Beatz was in town 'nd I wanted to see if you guys wanted to hang! We're doing this cool little show out in the OC for MTV's Summer Splash thing tomorrow."

"Isn't MTV's Summer Splash thing in Cancun?"

"We can't make it," Pete began to explain, "so we're recording a performance. So, you down?"

"I'm sitting down," I kidded. "I don't think I want to ruin my vacation with my man."

"Please?" He whined, "It'll be fuuuuuuun!"

I smiled, "M....Maybe, Wentz. Maybe. I have to run the idea past Beatz, 'n' we'll talk about it."

"What's your email, so Lunch Box can send you the info," he said formally.

I raised a brow, "Lunch Box?"

"Oh," Pete laughed. "Patrick."

I hummed, "If I give you my email address, you aren't gonna stalk me there, are you?"

He hummed right back at me, "Ye....nnnnooo."

I shook my head, "It doesn't matter, does it?"

Beatz laughed softly, his hand rolling over my tank top until he was underneath, and then began to rub my bare belly, hitting my belly button piercing. I smiled to myself, wanting to groan.

"Nah, Angel, it doesn't," he teased, "I already have your number."

I looked up at Beatz, "Okay, but you can't laugh."

"What is it?" He asked hurriedly, I knew he was excited.

"Uh...it's," Beatz grinned down at me, "it's...BeatzBaby80@aol.com," I shut my eyes, then heard him and Pete laughing. "Oh, shut up."

"It's cute," Pete continued to laugh. "It's...original. Wanna hear mine?"

"I bet it's something so emo I'll turn into one of your fans," I joked.

"It is!" He exclaimed jokingly. "Nah, but really, it's Brokenhalo7."

I giggled, "Aww, are you a rebellious teenage girl?"

"Yes," he stated proudly.

"You're so weird," I murmured, holding in continuous giggles.

"Are you flirting with me?" He asked with a fake gasp, "Does Beatz know?"

I smirked, "Beatz is right here. I would never flirt with you, Pete, especially with my man in the room."

"Hmm, you're right. A boy can dream."

I rolled my eyes, "Okay, boy, I need to get back to vacation."

"Alright, sweets, I'll talk to you lata!"

Pete hung up, and I set my phone on my coffee table. Beatz continued to rub my stomach, gaining my attention, "What did your new boyfriend want?"

I scoffed, "Don't you dare."

He smiled, "I'm just kidding."

I smiled back, "He just called to bust my chops, and to tell me his band is shooting a performance for MTV's Summer Splash thing tomorrow, and he wanted to know if we wanted to come."

"You want to?" He asked me.

I shrugged, "Whatever you wanna do, babe, I'll do whatever as long as I'm with you."

His lips turned up, "Let's go, just to get out, ya'know?"

I nodded, "Okay."

He leaned down and kissed me, "I also want you to show off your surprise."

I fitted my brow in confusion, "I thought you being home early was my surprise?"

He shook his head, "Nope."

I sat up, "What'd you bring me? Some new clothes?"

His eyes rolled over, "Maybe."

I frowned, "Gimme it."

He chuckled, kissing the tip of my nose, "Okay, but you gotta close your eyes."

I agreed, feeling excited, "Okay."

Beatz got up, leaving me on the couch; I watched him go down the small hall to the bedroom. I sat in wait, feeling really excited, because Beatz knows how much I adore clothes, especially shoes. If he bought me a new pair of heels or even sneakers, I would've screamed and jumped on him.

"Close your eyes," he called out.

I sighed, shut my eyes, placing my palms over them, "Their closed. Securely closed."

I heard his feet pad into the room on the hardwood, then I felt him stop in front of me, "Can I open--"

"Not yet," he said, "I'll say when."

I exhaled, "This is annoying."

"Just wait," I felt his warm breath on my arm.

I bit at my lip, expecting the couch to dip in beside me, but it didn't. I was growing impatient, and finally I just opened my eyes, "This--"

I stopped short seeing Beatz on one knee and him holding a small diamond ring up between his thumb and forefinger. My jaw slacked, I know my eyes were wide; I was breathless. Beatz grinned at me, "I knew you wouldn't wait."

My eyes darted between him and the ring, "What?"

"Isn't it obvious, Angel? Will you marry me?"

I felt my eyes prickle with tears, "Really?"

He laughed, "Yes, really!"

I licked over my lips, "Marry you...?"

He nodded, "Yeah, babe, that's usually what this means."

I swallowed, then wiped the escaped tears from my cheeks, "Okay."

He laughed again, "Okay?"

"I mean," I shook my head, sniffling, "yeah, ye--yes. Yes, I'll marry you, John."

If it were possible, Beatz grinned wider, and then took my left hand, slipping the ring on my finger. I inhaled deeply, looking at the little diamond sparkle at me, "This is beautiful, Beatz."

He sat on the couch, wrapping his arm around me, "You think so? It's the only one I could afford."

I looked at me, "I'd love it even if it was fake and from a Cracker Jack box."

He looked like someone knocked the wind out of him; shocked and speechless. He didn't speak, he leaned in and kissed me. His hand pulling me closer to him; my hand placed on his shoulder. He broke away, resting his forehead against mine, "I love you, Angelus."

I pecked his nose, "I love you too."
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, well, well! Whadda think?