Status: Completed: 3rd October 2014

Apartment 4C

Eleven.

After their dinner date on that Thursday night, Jake and Alfie had gone on several more dates, all of them going as wonderfully as the first.

On Saturday they met up for brunch, taking a long walk around Chicago before Alfie had to go into work. Jake had particularly enjoyed how Alfie held his hand the entire time, not even batting an eyelid as people stared at them. Alfie wasn’t ashamed to be seen with him in public – what could be wrong with that?

On Monday they met up after work again for dinner, this time going to a Greek restaurant of Jake’s choosing, drinking enough for Jake to be loose and pliable by the time they stumbled back into their apartment building, Alfie pressing a lingering kiss to the corner of his mouth as he said goodnight. The hangover the next morning had definitely been worth that.

On Thursday night Jake took Alfie to an outdoor movie screening at the local park, the two of them snuggling together amongst dozens and dozens of strangers, enjoying each other’s company. It was simple, but it was something a little different from their previous dates, and it was perfect. And it was that night that Jake had found out that Alfie was in fact a year younger than him, confirming what he’d thought previously. But at least it wasn’t too much younger. He didn’t feel so bad about that.

And tonight was Saturday night. Alfie found a private bowling alley and taken Jake there as a surprise. Naturally, Jake was awful at it, only having played a couple of times in his entire life, but Alfie wasn’t mean about it. Sure, he didn’t let Jake win, but he didn’t gloat about his victory. And Jake couldn’t say he disliked Alfie standing so close to him as he showed Jake how to throw the ball. Jake just loved how at ease Alfie made him feel, like they’d known each other for years. He always felt self-conscious about eating in front of guys he went on dates with, not wanting to make a mess and make a fool of himself, and he sure as hell usually cared if he fell over in front of them, but sharing a plate of heaving nachos with Alfie and slipping over on the bowling lane hadn’t fazed him tonight.

And he only had Alfie to thank for that.

But the date had to end. Being a beautiful March evening, the first weekend of March to be precise, the two of them took a leisurely walk back to their apartment building, hands linked, spirits high. Jake was happy, honestly genuinely happy, and it was all because of Alfie. He hadn’t told Elliot and Gabe about him going on dates with Alfie yet thought, but he just hadn’t found the right moment yet. He would tell them, obviously, but he just hadn’t had the chance, too caught up with how wonderful the younger man was. It wouldn’t matter that he was keeping Alfie to himself for a while, right?

Eventually, they reached their building, Alfie holding the door open for Jake to walk in first, like the gentleman he is.

“Thank you, for tonight. I can’t remember the last time I had that much fun,” Jake said, as they started walking up the stairs.

“That’s because you’re an overworked university teacher with no social life,” Alfie grinned, “But you’re cute, so it’s okay,”

Jake didn’t know whether to pout or blush. So he did both, making Alfie laugh.

“I had a lot of fun too. I would’ve chosen somewhere else if I’d known you were that bad at bowling but…”

“I wasn’t that bad! I managed to knock a few pins down every time!” Jake protested.

Okay, yeah, he was awful. Alfie just laughed again.

“There’s something about you, Jake. You make everything feel right,” Alfie said, smiling.

Jake blushed. Wow. He didn’t hear that every day.

“I feel the same about you,” Jake said softly, “I don’t have to think about anything when I’m around you. It all just comes naturally,”

The grin that spread across Alfie’s lips let him know he’d said the right thing, even more so as Alfie stopped outside Jake’s apartment door, taking both of Jake’s hands in his own.

“I wish this date didn’t have to end,” Alfie murmured.

Jake just smiled shyly. How did this guy know exactly what to say? Why was he so perfect?

“Can I…um, can I kiss you?” Alfie asked softly.

Jake’s breath hitched in his throat, his head spinning slightly. Alfie…Alfie wanted to kiss him? Him? He found himself nodding without even realising.

Alfie smiled, one hand rising to cup Jake’s face, thumb gently smoothing over his cheekbone before Alfie leant his head down. Jake’s eyes fluttered closed as Alfie’s lips pressed against his own, just about able to inhale sharply through his nose as he kissed the younger man back. Everything seemed to fade out around them, Jake’s hands clutching at Alfie’s waist for an anchor, as if the hallway was filled with only them. Jake’s entire body tingled, like electricity running through his veins, skin heating up like fire as Alfie’s other hand slid round to the small of his back.

It was perfect. Just like Alfie.

“I should’ve known,”

Jake broke the kiss, taking a couple of seconds to focus before he realised that Gabe was standing in the doorway and he did not look impressed.

“Um…I’ve been going on dates with Alfie all week?” Jake offered.

Gabe just pressed his lips together in a thin line. Yeah, he really wasn’t happy.

“I’ll leave you two to it,” Alfie mused, “See you later, yeah?”

Oh good. Alfie wasn’t mad at him.

“Yeah, see you,” Jake nodded, smiling.

Alfie smiled back, pecking another kiss to his lips, before walking up the stairs to his own apartment. Jake turned around to face his friend, albeit reluctantly, and Gabe just shook his head before walking into their apartment. Great. Just great. Jake followed him in and shut the door behind himself.

“Why are you being pissy?” Jake asked, not letting Gabe get the first word.

“I’m not being pissy! You just didn’t listen to me!” Gabe retorted.

“Yeah, I did actually. I cancelled our first date all those weeks ago and it turns out that listening to you made me pretty fucking miserable. So I took a chance and it’s working out well,”

“For now,” Gabe shot back.

“We’ve gone on five dates already, Gabe! And they’ve gone amazingly!” Jake exasperated.

“And what happens when it doesn’t go amazingly anymore, huh? And you have to see him around the building?” Gabe asked, hands on hips.

Jake groaned, running a hand over his head. He wasn’t a stupid naïve teenager anymore! Gabe didn’t have the right to judge him like this!

“You know what? I’m not arguing with you over this. I’m seeing Alfie on a regular basis and I really hope that we make it official soon because I really like him. He’s a perfect gentleman and I deserve someone who treats me well and who genuinely likes me. If you want to be ridiculous and not support this relationship then fine. But I’m not going to stop seeing him. You don’t get a say in that,” Jake said angrily.

“Jake…”

“No I’m serious, Gabe,” Jake interrupted, “I am happy. I am really happy with Alfie. And you don’t have the right to try and change that,”

Gabe sighed, hands dropping from their indignant place on his hips. Good.

“I’m sorry. I just don’t want you to get hurt,” Gabe murmured.

“I don’t want to get hurt either, but I can’t live my life scared. I’ve got to take a chance if I want to be truly happy and Alfie makes me so happy. This could be serious, Gabe,” Jake said.

Gabe frowned slightly, but nodded. “If that’s how you feel,”

Jake nodded too. “It is,”

It really is.

“Fine. But you’d better tell Elliot. He’ll be pissed enough that I found out before him,” Gabe pointed out.

“True,” Jake mused.

Gabe smiled wryly back, before heading to his bedroom, leaving Jake alone with his thoughts. That was worth it, right? Arguing with his friend about a guy? Alfie was worth it, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
So their dates are going well!
But arguing with Gabe?
Oops.
At least his friends know now, right?
:)

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following for commenting! Please keep your feedback coming!

Ktulu
fiction246
Am.I.Pretty.Yet!?
Lix Tetrax
Tattoo

xo