Status: Completed: 3rd October 2014

Apartment 4C

Fourteen.

It was getting close to Alfie’s birthday now, nearing the end of March. In fact, Jake really had only about a week to find his boyfriend a decent birthday present. It was a struggle, to be honest, because Alfie doesn’t read books, has too wide a taste in music to pick something random, and doesn’t have a particular favourite brand of clothing. But whatever. Jake would find something, even if it was completely by chance.

Speaking of Alfie, he was chilling out in Jake’s apartment right now before he had to leave for his evening shift at work. And by chilling out, he was making out lazily with Jake on the sofa, no rushed lust, just slow happy kissing with innocent tongue, while Gabe was sitting at his desk across the room working on a research report. Yeah, that had been a little weird – Jake and Alfie were alone when they started making out but for the brief second Jake opened his eyes, he saw that Gabe was sitting at his computer. Apparently Gabe didn’t care that they were making out outside of Jake’s room - as long as he didn’t have to hear anything, he wasn’t bothered by sitting in the same room as them. By that point, Jake had been too comfortable in Alfie’s arms to care, so he had just carried on.

Yeah, Gabe was a little weird.

At least Jake got to make out with his boyfriend for a little while before he left for the night. What could be bad about sitting on his boyfriend’s lap with his arms around him? It was nice. Just nice, and relaxed, and unpresumptuous. Nothing inappropriate about it.

Three knocks sounded on the door, but Jake made no effort to move away from Alfie. He was far too comfortable. That, and he was enjoying himself too much. Seriously, why would he give up making out with Alfie for anything?

“Oh that’s alright, I don’t mind walking across the entire room to open the front door,” Gabe said sarcastically.

Alfie laughed against Jake’s lips and just wound his arms tighter around Jake’s waist, making Jake grin. This guy really was too perfect.

“Stop sucking face, I have important news!” Elliot boomed.

Of course. Of course it was Elliot at the door. Jake groaned in protest, but did pull away from Alfie, moving himself to sit next to his boyfriend with his legs thrown over Alfie’s lap. This had better be good. He didn’t want to give up kissing Alfie for Elliot to tell him he saw a pretty stray cat, or something equally as unimportant.

“What?” Jake frowned.

Elliot just grinned and passed him a flyer. As soon as Jake read it, his jaw dropped. Holy shit.

“Dude, Tate Preacher is coming to Chicago?” Jake grinned.

“Who’s Tate Preacher?” Alfie frowned.

Of course. Alfie wouldn’t have a clue who that is.

“Only the best crime fiction writer of this generation!” Elliot gasped.

“He’s incredible. The way he writes is just…fuck, he’s amazing,” Jake gushed.

All of Jake’s favourite crime fiction books in the last 5 years had been written by Tate Preacher. The guy had a gift.

“If you can’t tell, Jake and Elliot are fangirls,” Gabe said dryly, sitting back down at his desk.

“I can see that,” Alfie said, still frowning.

Jake laughed, blushing slightly, and squeezed Alfie’s knee. Alfie patted his hand in return.

“When is the reading?” Jake asked.

“In a couple of weeks’ time,” Elliot said, “You wanna go?”

His favourite writer was coming to the local bookshop on an incredibly rare appearance? Of course he did!

“Duh,” Jake spluttered.

“Sweet, I’ll grab tickets tomorrow,” Elliot grinned, “What are we eating tonight?”

“Do you ever eat at your own apartment?” Gabe frowned.

“Why would I, when I can eat your food, Gabey baby?” Elliot teased.

Gabe rolled his eyes and walked over to the kitchen, Elliot following, leaving Alfie and Jake alone.

“I hate that I don’t know who most the people you talk about are,” Alfie sighed.

Jake looked up at Alfie, and frowned slightly. There was genuine concern in Alfie’s eyes, which worried him. Why would Jake care if Alfie didn't know Jake’s literary heroes?

“Don’t worry about it – I don’t expect you too. I’m a book nerd, remember? You’re the cool guy that I can’t believe willingly wants to spend time with me,” Jake reassured.

Alfie rolled his eyes but smiled, pressing a quick kiss to Jake’s lips.

“I’d better get to work. See you tomorrow?” Alfie said, moving Jake’s legs reluctantly from his lap.

“Yeah, see you,” Jake nodded.

Alfie left with a wave to Jake’s friends, Elliot taking Alfie’s place next to Jake on the sofa.

“Is Alfie okay?” Elliot frowned.

“Yeah, I think so. He doesn’t know most of the writers I like or the ones we talk about, so I think it gets to him sometimes,” Jake sighed.

He’d noticed it a couple of times before now, and it hadn’t played on his mind like this.

“You don’t care though,” Gabe chimed in from the kitchen, also frowning.

“Yeah, I know I don’t. I don’t know if he does though,” Jake shrugged.

“I’m sure it’s nothing. Cheer up! Tate Preacher’s coming to town!” Elliot grinned.

Jake couldn’t help but smile at that. Maybe Elliot was right. Maybe it was nothing. Alfie was perfect in his eyes – surely his boyfriend knew that?
♠ ♠ ♠
Huh.
Alfie is slightly insecure?
:/
That can't bode well...

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter and to the following who commented! I really do appreciate your feedback and your thoughts, so please keep them coming!

mcwolf
fiction246
SmallWonders
Tattoo

xo