Status: Completed: 3rd October 2014

Apartment 4C

Two.

Every Wednesday at 8pm, like clockwork, Jake did his laundry. Right now he was sitting on top of the dryer, reading a book while he waited for his clothes to finish. He’d only gotten into a routine because his flatmate, Gabe, was very particular about how chores had to be done, and his finicky nature had rubbed off on Jake slightly. Okay, maybe more than slightly, but it wasn’t exactly the worst habit he could have. At least he did his laundry on a regular basis.

Normally Jake took the time to get a little work done for his classes the following week. As an English Literature teacher, Jake had to know his subject inside out. As an English Literature teacher in college, Jake had to constantly come up with ways to make every piece of work he got his students to study to seem fun and exciting. Not always possible, but he gave it a good go. Tonight he was reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, as the freshman module he was teaching this year was called ‘A Literary Genre: The Novel’. It could be worse. It could be on ‘18th century travel writing’ like one of the other teachers taking freshman classes. Yeuch.

Wow. That really was as exciting as his life got.

To be honest, the more he thought about it, his life really had become boring. Stagnant. Uninspiring. Every day he got to work for 8.30am, or 8am if he had an early class. He always ate lunch between 1pm and 2pm, normally in his office but sometimes out somewhere with his friends (and fellow teachers) Elliot and Gabe. He always left campus around 6pm, driving both Gabe and himself back to their shared apartment for half 6. They usually ate dinner together around 7pm, not always eating the same meal though. Then he would fill time until he went to bed around 11pm. Yes. It’s official. His life was as boring as it could get.

On the plus side though, at least he wasn’t stuck in the small cattle farming town he’d grown up in. Jake loved his family to death, he really did, but their lives weren’t for him. And sure, he wasn’t getting sex from any cute guys here either, but at least there were more options to look at. To be honest, it was getting sad how long it had been since a cute guy had even smiled at him. He’d just have to put up with his lacklustre life because nothing exciting happens. Ever.

BEEP.

Jake broke out of his thoughts, putting his bookmark to hold his page before hopping off the dryer. He adjusted his beanie hat over his messy dark hair (what, it’s January! The basement wasn’t exactly the warmest place this time of year!), before opening the lid. Oh good. Nothing appeared to have shrunk.

But just as he grabbed his laundry basket, the laundry room door slammed open, and someone stumbled in. A guy stumbled in. A really hot guy. Holy fuck this guy was hot.

“Is this the laundry room?” the guy asked.

Jake snapped out of his thoughts quickly. That…that guy was talking to him. Holy shit. The hot guy was talking to him! Quick, Jake, respond!

“I certainly hope it is,” Jake blurted.

Oh fuck. Why the fuck did he say that?!

But the guy just grinned, making Jake smile back like it was infectious. Wow. That is a nice smile. Pearly white smile. Wow.

“Great, I’ve been wandering around for, like, half an hour trying to find it,” the guy admitted, his cheeks blushing slightly.

Jake laughed, nodding. The sign for the door had fallen off ages ago – so it was understandable.

“Washers are that side, dryers are this side. And don’t use the washer on the far right unless you want all your clothes to shrink,” Jake explained, pointing.

“Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind,” the guy said, grinning again.

Jake quickly looked back down, blushing as he pulled his clothes out into the carry basket. Shit. That guy’s grin only made him hotter. Wow. And he willingly talked to Jake. Double wow. Jake finished getting his clothes out the dryer, glancing once more at the guy before turning to leave.

“See you around!” the guy called.

That was to him, right?

Jake turned his head (yes, the guy was looking at him) and smiled, lifting his hand in a wave before walking out the door. Well, fuck. A hot new guy was in his building and he had actually talked to him without sounding like too much of an idiot. This just made everything more interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Jake has met the new guy...
...and he hasn't made a complete fool of himself!
^_^

This is Jake’s work schedule, in case you were wondering how his teaching classes are structured every week. It’s not that important, but just thought I’d share it because I will be using it in the story!

Thank you to everyone for reading and subbing, and thank you to the following for commenting! I'm really excited for this story, so I hope you guys will be too :)

fiction246
I'd.Be.Your.Tears
Tattoo
done in love.
SmallWonders

xo