Status: I just... idk bro.

Spitfire

{Two}

Seven rolled on her side and stared out the window of the guest room. The Institution never allowed her to have windows. She nearly groaned thinking about them. Surely, they’d be scouring the area soon. She needed to leave soon so Jane and Parker wouldn’t be put in harm’s way.

The sun began to rise, so she sat up and rubbed her eyes. Sleep never came easy and some nights it never came at all.

“Johnson, Garcia, Tucker, Newman,” she whispered to herself the names of the doctors who tortured her. Those were the people she was going to kill. Seven put her head in her hands and began to plan her next move.

Tonight, she’ll leave Jane and Parker and maybe hitchhike somewhere else. From there she’ll try to make her way east. Florida was supposed to have nice beaches, right?

She sighed. What kind of life will she have? The only contact she was allowed with other children was when they had her fight them. They were never nice to each other since everyone was drowning in their own misery. Tracking down her mother wasn’t a possibility. She had no information besides her first name.

Her eyes began to droop and Seven laid down again. She needed some strength if she was going to be leaving today.

********

Parker yawned as he walked down the stairs and scratched his head. He didn’t have any classes today and he was planning on spending his day relaxing. His mother stood at the bottom of the stairs and gave a quick smile.

“Before you get all the way down here, will you wake Seven up? It’s almost two,” she requested.

Parker turned around and walked back up the stairs. He usually slept late on his days off. He came to the guest room door and knocked on it a few times.

No answer, so he knocked again and louder.

He was met with silence again, so he pushed the door open and peered in. Seven was laying on her stomach with one leg thrown off the bed and her mouth hanging open. Her blonde curls were falling out of the bun and sticking for her forehead.

“Seven,” he spoke and took a few steps into the room, “Seven.”

He stood next to the bed and placed a hand on her shoulder, “Seven.”

Her eyes snapped open and she grabbed his arm and rolled away abruptly. Parker glanced down at his arm and saw she had it in the perfect position for an easy break. Seven looked down at her hands and quickly removed them.

“I’m so sorry.”

Parker raised his hands in surrender, “I’m not going to ask. You should probably get up since it’s almost two.”

“Two? In the afternoon?” She questioned and he noticed just how tired she looked.

“Yeah.”

“Shit,” she cursed as she climbed out of the bed. “I need to go.”

“Whoa!” Parker exclaimed, “What’s the hurry?”

Seven looked up at him since he was a good seven inches taller. “They’re going to be looking for me. I can’t stay here.”

He shook his head and left the room, secretly wishing her luck on trying to convince his mother that leaving is the best option.

********

Phillip Newman paced in front of his desk.

“What do you mean she ‘got away’?” He snapped.

The man in front of him twisted his hands nervously. “She stabbed Bower in the neck and took her gun. Seven managed to make it out the doors, but we tried to stop her.”

“An entire building full of guards and not one bullet managed to hit her?” Phillip snapped and the man flinched.

“We did, but she continued to run.”

Phillip looked up at his son leaning against the wall before pulling out his own gun and pointing it at the fidgeting man. He pulled the trigger and the man slumped forward, bits of blood and brain decorating the walls.

“I have everyone searching for our little escape artist, but I want you out there, Andrew.”

His son, Andrew, nodded and turned to leave Phillip’s office.

“Go get someone to clean this up on your way out.”

********

“That was amazing, Jane,” Seven complimented with a grateful smile as she pushed her plate away from her.

Jane smiled warmly at the young blonde and was about to respond when there was a knock at the door. She stood to answer it and Parker entered the room.

“Hi, m’am,” Seven heard the person greet, “I’ve got a few questions, if you don’t mind.”

Her eyes widened. She knew that voice. It was one of the guards. Parker turned to look at her and she grabbed a steak-knife from the counter.

“Questions about what?” Jane responded with her hip cocked.

“Have you seen this young lady within the past day?”

Parker stood and left the room swiftly. Seven swallowed nervously.

“No, I haven’t,” Jane responded.

“Do you mind if I come in and check?”

Jane scoffed. “Do you have a warrant?”

There was a loud noise, like the man slammed his hand on the wood. “Get in there and check,” he spoke to others.

Jane backed away and Seven readied her knife. Parker raced back into the room and grabbed her upper arm.

“Come with me,” he whispered.

Seven stared up at him and quickly accepted the fact that she was going to be dragged back to The Institute. To her surprise, he pulled her out the back door and pushed her against the house and under the kitchen window.

She held her breath and could hear Jane conversing with the men, but couldn’t make out the words.

After a few minutes, Jane poked her head out and motioned for them back in. Parker pulled Seven up and they reentered the house.

“I need to leave,” Seven said as soon as she stepped in.

“Seven,” Jane started, “I can’t let you go alone. Those people gave me a bad feeling. What did they do to you?”

Seven swallowed and looked down. “They would train me and make me fight other kids. After the fights, they would run tests on us. They do terrible things. They taught me how to kill.”

Parker grabbed his mother’s arm. “We need to go.”

Jane nodded in agreement, “Go pack the things. Quick.”

Seven looked between the mother and son with a questioning look.

“You and Parker are going to leave. He’ll take care of you,” Jane explained slowly.

“I just told you that I was trained to kill and you’re sending me off with your son?”

Jane smiled lightly, “If you wanted to kill us, hun, you would have done it last night.”

Parker raced back into the room. “We need to go now. It looks like they are making their way through the neighborhood again.”

Jane touched her son’s face fondly. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Seven stood up and shook her head. “Why are you doing this?”

“You’re not getting an answer out of her,” Parker said with a small frown, “but we need to go. Now.”

Seven nodded and thanked Jane again before following Parker to his SUV.