Status: Complete

Falling for the Teacher Is Never a Good Idea

Chapter 3

Getting off the bus on Friday morning I knew instantly something was wrong. The first clue was that everyone was all gathered around the parking lot and the second tip was that there was a police car parked right next to the crowd.

Curious I walked towards the area they were all encompassing and nudged my way through people, weaving in and out until I came to the front where there was a paddock like opening surrounding a trashy looking car. There were five people all talking right next to the car: two police, the school principle, the guidance counselor, and curiously, Mr. Novak.

I realized that there was something off about the car and I saw that it had graffiti covering it extensively, the same word written in yellow spray paint all over: Faggot.

I shivered at the sight, which was a pretty cruel thing to do, and that's when someone pushed me from behind and I awkwardly fell into the clearing getting the attention of the five people.

The school principle, a woman named Mrs. Haeffer looked at me and then sighed and gave me an unfamiliar expression, worse than disappointment and seven times stronger.

She pointed at me and said, "That's Dean Winchester."
I felt myself shrink. What could they possibly want me for, but I knew already.

"Alright. Disperse everyone, run long nothing to see here," One of the police officers said waving his arms for everyone to go away.

"We need to talk in my office Mr. Winchester," Mrs. Haeffer said.

'Shit.'

"You don't think I-," I start but trail off looking at the car. One of the police officers looked at me like I was a felon and held up something in his hand.

My book bag. I guess I knew where it went after all.

"I'm guessing I'm not going to get off by telling the truth? I was framed."

"Nope. Come with us son, we've got a few questions," the officer growled gesturing for me to follow
Mrs. Haeffer and the other four.

They lead me down a walk of shame as I was courted through the front entrance of school amidst stares and whispers from everyone there to see.

When Mrs. Haeffer opened the door to her office, she gestured for everyone to enter, including both police and Mr. Novak but the guidance counselor stemmed the opposite way, so that when I walked in and the door closed, I was in the room with only the four of them.

"Do you want to explain yourself?" Mrs. Haeffer asked.

"I didn't do that! I wouldn't have, I've nothing against homosexuality, I swear. It was not me! Why on earth would I be stupid enough to actually leave me backpack there? At the scene of the crime?"

"Simple mistake," the taller bulkier officer said.

"No, using baking powder instead of baking soda is a simple mistake, leaving your possessions at a crime scene is pure idiocy. Whose car was that anyway?"

Mr. Novak, who was leaning awkwardly against the desk said, "It was my car."

I groaned and let my shoulders fall, "of course it was!" I said grimly, realizing the scope of the situation, "of course it was. Who else would have drawn a more obvious suspect but the guy already accused of harassing the victim? I've gotta give Dick some credit because he did think this through."

"Mr. Winchester I don't think you understand the seriousness of your situation here. If Mr. Novak decides to press charges, not only will you be expelled, but you'll be severely fined."

"The boy has a criminal record as well," the police officer said. I sighed and found myself wondering whether to accept whatever was about to be dished out or if I should plead to the people who weren't going to listen.

That's when Mr. Novak chipped in, "Well I do have some say right? And I don't intend to press charges. Yesterday after class he stayed back late to talk with myself and Mrs. Mills, after which I saw that he had lost his backpack."

I perked up remembering that event. Mr. Novak had been there, and I'd completely forgotten. That beautiful bastard had the power to save my ass, which unfortunately was going to make me like him even more.

"It seems likely that someone could've easily taken it when no one was looking and then placed it
there," he finished.

"That far too convenient a theory to be true," the officer said looking uncomfortable with the fact that
I was being defended.

"Well yeah and gravity is too convenient to but you don't stick your nose up at that do you?" I sassed back at him, making Mr. Novak chuckle.

However reluctantly I know that the officers had nothing waterproof against me but Mrs. Haeffer was about ready to suspend me or at least ban me from the DC trip which almost broke my heart, until
Mr. Novak stuck up for me once again and said he'd watch over me on the trip.

What did that mean, He'd watch me? Obviously what I'd hoped it meant was far from what it probably meant. All the same, it looked like I might be seeing more of Mr. Novak than I'd thought. I hadn't even realized he was going on the trip.

After I was excused I gladly left the office, with my book bag still in their custody for the time being, but I managed to talk them into giving me my notebook for class, and I pranced off to my locker.

Homeroom was almost over but I hadn't missed any class unfortunately, so I just stood next to my locker waiting for the bell to ring that would mean I had to go to math.

Mr. Novak walked by and paused as he saw me.

Awkwardly he looked up at me, I was a few inches taller, and said, "am I going to regret what I said back there Mr. Winchester? Because if so, I would like a heads up."

My heart beat a little faster at his low gravelly voice, but I just replied, "I'll try not to be too much of a bother.

He raised an eyebrow but walked off anyway.