Status: Rated R for violence, gore, use of alcohol, drugs, suggestive themes and nudity

Sometimes They Win

The Team

Claudia stood in front of the mirror, her blinds shut with the slightly stormy skies this made her room seem very dark. She examined herself from side to side and frowned touching her small bit of stomach pudge. She sighed shaking out her arms. “I don’t look professional at all” she hummed putting in her earrings. “But they should just be glad I got dressed today at all” she said to herself walking out of her bedroom she grabbed her briefcase and darted through the house and out the door.

It was a long drive to the Federal Office, after all Claudia did live in Northumberland County, her mind zoned out as she rode along, soft foreign jazz music playing in her 1957 Porsche Speedster Replica. Claudia drummed her fingers on the steering wheel and glanced around at the red light, she could see a figure of a small girl standing at the crosswalk, and she held a teddy bear in her hands and looked around as if she was lost. The two other people standing there seemed not to notice her. As the light turned green and Claudia went to pull away the little girl looked up at her with hollow eyes. Claudia sighed heavily “I would help you, but I’m running late as it is” She whispered, glancing n her rearview mirror she watched as the girl wisped away in the air.

Claudia pulled up to the Federal office and stepped out of her hair, she set the alarm and put up the leather skinned roof. Gripping her briefcase within a sweaty shaking palm she scuttled up the walk way and through the main doors. She was greeted cheerfully but he receptionist, “um I have an appointment with Aaron Hotchner” Claudia told her with a jumpy smile, The receptionist smiled at her kindly and pushed a button on the phone picking it up “guest for Aaron Hotchner at the front desk” she said. Claudia smiled and gave the woman a small thank you before strolling over to three waiting chairs and taking a seat.

Looking around Claudia relaxed a bit, “no spirits here” she thought exhaling, she hated when a Spirit would come to her during interviews or book signings. She hated the weird looks she would get when addressing the unseen in public. She could, it would appear, rest easy here. “Ms. Maud?” A tall man with dark eyes called in a deep smooth voice. Claudia rushed to her feet “Aaron Hotchner?” she questioned walking to him “yes, welcome we’re excited to work with you” He said offering his hand. Claudia shook it as professionally as she could manage “Likewise” She breathed as he held open the glass door for her. “talk about tall dark and handsome” she thought to herself.

In the back, the Federal Agent access area, was not as bustling as Claudia had imagined it to be. It was not as crowded either. She would have imagined lots of scurrying works, papers flying, communication of voices relaying information and leads. It was quite the opposite, a few people sat here and there at desks, some stood talking to each other a few papers in hand or returning from the coffee maker. Claudia’s eyes took all this in while she followed Hotchner up a small flight of stairs into a Office. “Claudia Maud, this is Agent David Rossi” Hotchner introduced as he let the door close behind him. “It’s a pleasure to meet you Ms. Maud, but just Rossi is fine” Rossi said as he stood up from his chair to greet Claudia with a handshake. Claudia smiled and shook his hand loosely “Thank you Rossi, the pleasure is all mine and please” she spoke letting go of his hand “Claudia” she offered, “alright” Rossi said with a nod.

He offered Claudia a seat which she gladly took, crossing her legs as professionally as she could. But the truth was Claudia wasn’t professional at all, she was by nature the shabby writer. You know the one, the writer that hides away in her house in the dark for hours typing away. Lost deep within the world of her imagination, trying to put this world into words for others to view. Taking little pleasure in getting dressed, going out, or eating regularly as she was glued until her work was done or she hit that wall known as Writers Block.

The truth simple was, this was the most she had dressed up or gone out in about a month.

“So you said in the fax that you needed my assistance with this current case?” Claudia asked watching Rossi and Hotchner as she stood up leaning against the desk. “Yes, we’ve heard of a few other departments dabbling into information from those who have studies criminals deeply such as writers, with this case, our Unsub is a writer himself” Rossi explained “so we figured we ought to get a writer to help us see into his mind a bit more, and your thrillers are currently bestselling works” Hotchner cut in, Claudia blushed a bit “bestselling wouldn’t know about that” she breathed flustered “But I will do my best to aid you and your team as much as I can” She offered. Hotchner nodded and looked to Rossi. “speaking of the team, we’d like you to meet them” Rossi said, Claudia rose to her feet “when you’re ready” she spoke with a smile letting them lead her out of the room.

“Everyone Listen up!” Hotchner’s voice boomed over the office, the few of the agents inside looked up. Claudia scanned their faces she immediately felt intimidation as she stood in between Hotchner and Rossi. Standing between these two figures who seemed to hold a high importance and air of respect as enough to keep her hands perspiring, but it was looking at the agents, the team that made her knees knock. Each face looked skilled and well-rounded in their job, focused eyes that had seen it all and then some. Even at a glance, these people were amongst the best in their field.

“This is Claudia Maud, she will be working with us in the case of the Fiction Killer” Hotchner elucidated, Claudia tried to keep her knees still and was thankful for her long suit pants for hiding them. “We would like you to treat her as one of the team while she is with us, and don’t be afraid to ask her any questions you may have” Rossi spoke, Claudia nodded in affirmation to their words. “Didn’t you write Who Killed the Mocking Bird?” A tall bald man who at a glance looked less than friendly spoke “yes” Claudia said with a slight nod “that would be me” at this he smiled and his eyes seemed to twinkle with a certain playfulness. Claudia was taken back “heh my sister loves that book, she quotes it like scripture” He chuckled “boy she would just die if she knew I was going to be working with you” He said in a deep laugh. Claudia relaxed and smiled as she followed Rossi down the stairs.

“Maybe I can sign her a copy” Claudia offered walking up to him “that would be great, I’m Agent Morgan” He stated shaking her hand, Claudia smiled brightly “It’s good to meet you” She replied. “wait, you did an interview with Vince Borland, the Puppet master, did he really use wood paint to make his victim seem fore doll like or were the reports true that all he did was coat them in wax?” A lanky man called before he had been sitting as if he had litter interest in anything. Morgan looked at him shocked “After to cut his tongue out in the prison he was unable to give any more interviews so no one really got to talk to him about his murders after you” He went on he spoke so quickly it was hard for her to keep up. Claudia blinked a few times looking up at him as he watched her, eager for an answer. “I uh” she breathed. A woman chuckled “He speaks!” she called standing behind Claudia. The lanky man rubbed the back of his neck “I was just curious” he stated dully. “Well um, yes to both, Vince used wax on a few of his victims but you couldn’t move them to much afterwards or they would crumble or snap, he used wood paint to give the bodies the look of old ventriloquist dolls.” Claudia answered finally registering what all he had asked. He smiled and nodded, his eyes getting wide for a moment.

“Oh I’m Doctor Reid, Spencer Reid” He said rushing his words, reaching over he offered his hand, Claudia looked at it, his movements seem so uncoordinated, she took his hand and gave it one firm shake “nice to meet you Dr. Reid” she said. Reid scratched the back of his ear “actually Reid is just fine” he said with a hint of embarrassment at the formal title. “yeah no one hardly calls him doctor here anyway” the woman said walking around the side of Claudia “I’m agent Jareau, but everyone calls me JJ so” she had a bright smile, as she smiled at Claudia her nerves seemed to melt away “ok JJ” Claudia beamed “wait, wait, wait!” a voice called as someone came flying down the stairs “no one told me we had newbies! Leaving me out of the fun” she called, Claudia smiled. “I’m Penelope Garcia” she said reaching and taking Claudia hand, she shook it and Garcia gasped “oh my gosh your-your, Claudia Maud.” She exclaimed Claudia smiled it had only been recently that her name had hit the author’s spotlight. “You wrote the Crooked Series!” She cheered “I love the Crooked series! Nana is like amazing, by the way is she dead? Or is she ghost? Is Joey a Medium?” Garcia gasped loudly making Claudia jump a bit “Oh my god, oh my god, Nana’s a ghost and Joey’s a Medium and he will totally see her and avenger her right!” Garcia was excited, beyond so.

Claudia smiled a coy and playful smile she leaned in and beckoned Garcia closer “all the best beginnings, start with an ending that holds a well-kept secret” she whispered. Garcia’s eyes grew wide and she nodded “oh you so totally have me as your bitch” she murmured, at this Claudia chuckled. And pulled back. “I feel right at home already!” she called with a wide grin. “Prefect you should, as form here on you are one of us” Hotchner said sternly. Claudia nodded, “Welcome to the Team Maud” Reid said resting a hand on her shoulder.

Maybe she had over thought it all. Maybe this would be a breeze.