Personal Goals

Chapter 15

*Kellin’s POV*
I was over the moon with excitement. I drove home that night with a permanent smile plastered across my face. Vic was my boyfriend. I actually completely forgot about the whole drama with Matty, which was a good thing for the time being.
The next day I was able to avoid Matty at school and didn’t run into any trouble- that was good. I was mainly focused on seeing Vic later that day, anyway. I decided that I would go back to sitting in the gym in my underwear while I waited for him. He probably liked that anyway.
I waited patiently, but he was late. I kept checking my phone for the time, but it was way past four o’clock. Where was he?
I finally just decided to call, but it went to voice mail. I sighed, but brightened all over again when I saw that he texted instead.
-Sorry. Running late. Be there soon.
I smiled and lied on my back, staring up at the ceiling until I could hear someone walking around upstairs. I sat right up and turned so that I was facing the stairs, preparing myself to be as flirty and provocative as I could. As his boyfriend, that meant I was totally allowed to be this way, right?
But my sex drive lowered considerably as soon as I saw him. It wasn’t him though- it was the fact that he had Jess with his in her car seat thing. I frowned- didn’t he just give her back to Jenna last night?
“Hey, Kells-oh,” he said, when he saw me. I bit my lip and scrambled to put my pants back on. I doubted Jess knew the difference between pants and underwater, but it still made me uncomfortable. “Sorry, this is unexpected I- Jenna got called into work and dropped her off. I hope you don’t mind.”
“No I don’t mind,” I sighed. He moved towards me and set the carrier down before wrapping his arms around me and kissing me. I kissed him back, immediately feeling a little better. Vic’s kisses were so nice and sweet.
“So, you ready? We can have an easy day today if you want,” he offered.
“Hey, now, don’t go easy on me because we’re together now,” I smirked. He rolled his eyes.
“Oh, believe me, I’m not going easy on you because of that. If anything I’ll just work you harder. I just want to be able to keep an eye on Jess if I need to,” he said as we both looked down at the sleeping baby.
“Keep an eye on her? What? Is she going to walk away?” I joked.
“Hey,” he laughed. “If she does, I want to be there to see it.”
“She’s really cute, Vic,” I offered, noticing the fond look in his eyes as he watched his daughter. He just chuckled and started setting up the yoga mats. We started out with our normal stretches and were able to get most of those in before Jess started crying. Vic sighed and went over to unbuckle her from the seat and pick her up.
I watched from the floor as Vic held and comforted the infant, trying to figure out why she was crying.
“Shit, I think she’s hungry,” he mumbled.
“What does she eat?” I asked, completely oblivious to these kinds of things. I mean, the last time I was with Vic when he had her, I wasn’t really paying attention to what he was feeding her.
“She has her milk or we’ve started her on some baby food, but I usually just do that at home because it’s messy,” he explained.
“Do you have anything with you?” I wanted to know. He nodded and unexpectedly handed the fussy child to me. I frowned, but took her anyway. I concentrated on keeping a hold of her as she squirmed and cried while Vic opened up some insolated bag he had with him and pulled out a bottle full of a white liquid.
“Can I use your kitchen?” he asked, switching with me by taking Jess and handing me the bottle. I nodded and led him upstairs to the kitchen . . . where I found my mom putting away the groceries.
“Oh,” she said when she saw us walking into the kitchen. Her eyes immediately fell to the baby in Vic’s arms. “Whose baby is that?”
“Uh, mine,” Vic said, shifting her a bit. “I’m really sorry, I had to bring her with me today, because something came up and-“
“You couldn’t get a baby sitter?”
“I can’t afford a baby sitter,” he mumbled.
“Okay then . . . what are you doing up here?” she wanted to know, eyeing the bottle in my hands. I set it on the counter, feeling a little awkward. I guess I shouldn’t have felt awkward though. For all my mom knew, Vic was just some guy she hired that brought his kid to work. She had no idea we were in a relationship.
“Kellin said I could come up here, I was wondering if I could use some hot water to heat her bottle,” He said, in a small voice as my mom kept her stare steady. I could tell he was a little intimidated by her. I mean, she was the one paying him after all. But then she surprised us both by softening.
“Sure, dear, let me get it for you,” she said, setting down the last bag of groceries and turning to the cabinets to get something to put the water in. I flashed Vic an awkward smile as he let out a sigh of relief.
“I had no idea you were a father, Victor,” she told him, making conversation as she got the water ready. “How old is she?”
“Six months,” he replied, lightly bouncing back and forth as Jess started to cry again. He shushed her softly and kissed the top of her head affectionately.
“I thought you were . . . “ she said, trailing off. I think we both knew what she was going to say though. ‘I thought you were gay.’
“I am,” he said, quickly, so she didn’t have to finish her sentence. “It’s a long story, and I’m not on the best of terms with her mother.”
“I’m sorry to hear that,” she said, finally turning and setting the bowl full of warm water on the counter. “Kellin, just put the bottle in there.”
I did as my mother told me to do and we all just sort of sat there in an awkward silence. I mean, it wasn’t exactly silent because Jess was still fussing, but no one was talking. I knew Vic was nervous because my mom specifically told him not to have sex with me, but that was really all we had been doing. I was nervous because I didn’t want my mom to find out about that either. At the same time I had this weird feeling that I really wanted my mom to like Vic. I couldn’t tell her he was my boyfriend, but I wanted her to like him- I wanted her to approve. Maybe if she saw that Vic was a good person, she’d be more okay with the whole me being gay thing.
When the right amount of time had passed for the bottle to be warmed, Vic wordlessly took it and began feeding her or whatever. She calmed down almost immediately, sucking away at the bottle.
“I remember when Kellin was that little,” my mom sighed.
“Mom,” I moaned. She ignored me.
“And then in the blink of an eye, they think they’re all grown up. It’s hard to believe he’s turning eighteen in a couple of weeks,” she laughed, shaking her head as I froze.