Sequel: And So I Know
Status: FIN!

If I Knew

Eleven

I've been trying to do it right
(Hey!) I've been living a lonely life
(Ho!) I've been sleeping here instead
(Hey!) I've been sleeping in my bed,
(Ho!) Sleeping in my bed
(Hey!)


Marc breathed deeply as the music started. He felt his palms sweat and but he kept them clasped together behind his back. He felt Eric reach around and pat his shoulder. Marc glanced back at him and he grinned.

“You’ve got this,” he told him.

Marc nodded. Eric was right. He had this. It was Felicia. The last two years had not been without their ups and downs, adjusting to living together, then adjusting to Emma when she was born. There was her retirement to deal with, playoff hockey (a rollercoaster of emotions all on its own), and Jordan. Through all of it though, they had each other. To rely on, to depend on, to trust. Nothing could stand between them now.

Just on the other side of the closed chapel doors, Alan Todd threaded his daughter's arm through his and smiled warmly at her. “You can still back out, you know,” he teased her.

“Never,” Felicia smiled back.

“Ready?” She nodded and the doors to the chapel opened.

This was it, the moment a kiss in a barn had led up to. She was marrying Marc. So much had happened in their lives since then but it all made them who they were as individuals but more importantly as a couple, as a family. This was the life she wanted.

(Ho!) So show me family
(Hey!) All the blood that I would bleed
(Ho!) I don't know where I belong
(Hey!) I don't know where I went wrong
(Ho!) But I can write a song
(Hey!)


As the doors creaked open, Marc’s eyes snapped forward and he let out a tiny sigh of relief when he saw Felicia, still sometimes not sure how they had ended up together, sure he must be in a dream he was going to wake from at any moment. Then he locked eyes with her and he smiled before glancing at their daughter who sat beside Felicia’s mom and who's little hand was wrapped firmly around Derick Brassard, her favorite "uncle" amongst his teammates, and her favorite babysitter.

He looked across the aisle to Jordan, standing as Felicia’s man of honor. No one was surprised to see him standing there, serving the same role she had for him. Jordan grinned like the devil and flashed a thumbs up at Marc.

This was definitely real.

I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart


The minister spoke but the words were nothing more than noise to Marc as he smiled at Felicia. He could remember later shaking hands with her father before she passed her bouquet back to Jordan who pulled a face, eliciting laughter from the church. He took her hands in his and they stood facing each other.

"I love you."

He had mouthed the words to her as the minister led a prayer, the two of them never taking their eyes off each other.

"Ditto," she mouthed back.

In their bubble, the minister’s words barely registered until he turned to Felicia and spoke directly to her. “Do you, Felicia, take Marc to be your wedded husband, to cherish in love and in friendship, in strength and in weakness, in success and in disappointment, to love him faithfully, today, tomorrow, and for as long as the two of you shall live?”

“I do,” Felicia answered.

He turned to Marc next. “Do you, Marc, take Felicia to be your wedded wife, to cherish in love and in friendship, in strength and in weakness, in success and in disappointment, to love her faithfully, today, tomorrow, and for as long as the two of you shall live?”

“Ditto,” Marc smirked. Felicia giggled at him.

“Do you have the rings?” the minister continued with a small shake of his head and a smile. Felicia turned to Jordan and Marc to Eric, both handing them the rings. They placed them on the bible the minister held as he offered a prayer before nodding at Felicia who lifted Marc’s into her fingertips. He held his hand out and she slid the ring down over his knuckle.

“I have seen the best of you, and the worst of you and I choose both. I give you this ring to wear with love and joy. As a ring has no end, neither shall my love for you. I choose you to be my husband this day and forevermore.”

Marc lifted her ring from the book next and slipped it onto her finger, holding her hand tightly in his as he spoke.

“Today and always, beyond tomorrow, I need you beside me, always as my best friend, lover and forever my soulmate. This ring I give to you as a token of my love and devotion to you. I pledge to you all that I am and all that I will ever be as your husband. With this ring, I gladly marry you and join my life to yours.”

They walked down the three stairs together to light their unity candle and Felicia squeezed Marc’s hand in hers. “Ditto? Really?” she whispered, their backs to the friends and family who filled the churches pews as she lifted her candle.

“It’s us. Besides, you started it.” He held his candle and their two flames met as one.

“I love you Marc Staal.”

“I love you too, Felicia almost Staal.” They faced each other again, holding each others hands as they waited for the words they both longed to hear.

“I now pronounce you married. You may kiss the bride,” the minister spoke. Marc grinned wolfishly, gathering Felicia to him and dipping her back dramatically for their first kiss as husband and wife. When he righted her, he held her for a second longer before they looked out at the people sharing in this memory with them.

“It is my honor to introduce to you Mr. and Mrs. Marc Staal.” Marc lifted their clasped hands in the air and applause filled the air as they walked out of the sanctuary.

“Now you’re stuck with me forever, Flea,” Marc teased as they stole away for a second before their guests would walk outside to congratulate them.

“I’m okay with that,” she smiled. “And Marc?”

“Yeah?”

“You know how we said we wanted to wait until Emma was at least three before we had another one?”

“Yes.....”

“How do you feel about two?”

“Are you...” he trailed off as she nodded. “We’re having another baby?”

“I’m six weeks along and due in March. I found out three days ago.”

“Are we ready for a second one?”

“Is anyone ever really ready to have a baby?”

“Probably not,” Marc chuckled.

“Should we tell our families?”

“Tomorrow. Tonight you’re all mine and I’m yours.”

“I like the sound of that.”

“Good because I plan on making it a night you’ll never forget.”

"Ditto," Felicia smiled. "Tonight and for always."

FIN
♠ ♠ ♠
And that is all she wrote. :)

Thanks for coming along for the ride. I posted the link to the sequel above which is a Derick Brassard story but has lots more of Felicia and Marc to offer. I'm a few chapters in so hopefully I'll start sharing soon.

As always, a big thank you and hugs to all of you readers, subscribers, but especially those commentors. Your words are always special to me and they keep me encouraged and plugging along.

Italicized lyrics in this chapter belong to The Lumineers. I borrowed the vows and exchanging of the rings from varying anonymous quotes and sample wedding vow how tos on google and cobbled them together for my purposes.