Sequel: And So I Know
Status: FIN!

If I Knew

Six

Felicia had been checked in and taken for x rays at the hospital shortly after her arrival. While she had been gone for x rays, Marc called his coach, explaining the situation to him. He gave Marc permission to miss practice the next morning and then he waited for Felicia to get back. He paced the room, worrying about what the doctor might tell her.

When a nurse wheeled her back into the room, Marc smiled and took over, lifting Felicia carefully from the hospital wheelchair and placing her back on the bed, settling her into place. Now two hours later, they waited impatiently, Marc in a chair beside her bed, flipping aimlessly through the channels on TV and doing everything he could think of to keep a smile on her face.

A knock at the door made Felicia sit up straighter and Marc turn off the TV. “Miss Todd, I’m Dr. Emery," the doctor spoke as he entered the room.

“What’s the verdict?” Felicia asked.

“Not wasting anytime then?” he chuckled. He consulted her chart before continuing. “The good news is your clavicle isn’t broken. You shoulder is separated though so you’ll have to take it easy for a few weeks, wear a sling.”

“So when can I start playing again? I need to be ready for the Olympics. Will I be ready by then?”

“Is this your boyfriend, Miss Todd?” Dr. Emery asked, turning to Marc.

“Yes, and if you want his autograph, could you at least wait until after you tell me when I can play again?” she snapped.

“You’re comfortable with me discussing your condition with him in the room?”

“Of course I am! Could you hurry it up already?” She replied impatiently.

“You have to calm down,” Marc said, taking her hand in his. “He’s just making sure you’re okay with me being in here. It’s his job.”

“I would’ve kicked you out already if that was my worry.” She turned her attention back for Dr. Emery. “Please doc, just tell me. How long am I going to be out?”

“I’d say you can hit the ice again in October, September depending on how quickly you bounce back.”

“October?!” Felicia exploded. “For a separated shoulder?”

“I think you need a second opinion,” Marc added. “I can call our team doctor.”

“October,” Dr. Emery spoke over them, “because you’re pregnant, Miss Todd.”

“I’m what?” She asked in disbelief.

“I have an ultrasound technician on their way down right now but based on when you said your last period was, and the results of your blood test, I’d say you are due in late July.”

Felicia felt the air rush from her lungs and she stared at the doctor open mouthed. “But...we used protection.”

“Unfortunately they are known to fail. I can see I’ve caught you completely by surprise. Your last period was in October. Didn’t you wonder?”

“I’ve never had regular periods. And I feel great. I haven’t even been sick!”

“Not every woman experiences morning sickness. Why don’t I give you two a moment before ultrasound gets here?” He smiled and left the room and the pair sat in silence for several minutes.

“Sooo...” Marc started.

“I...” Felicia started before she burst into tears.

“Shh, it’s okay, Flea,” Marc said, standing and squeezing his tall frame into the bed beside her. “It’s okay.” He cradled her to his chest and stroked her hair.

“I didn’t...I didn’t do this...on purpose,” she hiccuped between her tears.

“I’d never think that, Felicia. We’re going to figure this out together, okay?” She nodded and held him tighter. "I love you."

“Ditto," was her muffled reply from where her face was pressed against him.

“Now tell me that we’re okay,” Marc prompted her.

She looked up at him, her eyes still glistening with tears and Marc wiped the trail of one down her cheek. “We’re going to be okay,” Felicia answered him, her voice small and scared. He hugged her as tightly as he dared, until the ultrasound technician came in. He shifted off of the bed and sat beside her, holding her hand.

The nurse that did their ultrasound was sweet, talking them through what she was going to do before starting. “That’s the heartbeat,” she said after a few minutes.

“That’s it? That’s our baby?” Marc asked, squeezing Felicia’s hand.

“That’s your baby,” she smiled. She turned the screen on her portable machine towards them. “And that is your baby.” She clicked several buttons and studied the machine before turning to them again. “I’d say you are about twelve weeks pregnant, Felicia, putting your due date around July 22nd.” She moved the wand around, taking several pictures, the machine printing them out as she went. She answered questions for them before pulling the wand away and wiping the jelly from Felicia’s belly.

“Congratulations,” she told them, handing Felicia the stack of ultrasound photos.

“Thank you,” she replied. She nodded before exiting the room.

“You good?” Marc asked.

“Yeah. I’d be a damn mess if you weren't here though.”

“Good thing you decided to fall over your own two feet with me in attendance then.”

“I did not fall! That bitch tripped me.”

“No call though sooo...”

“You ass!” Felicia laughed, tugging her hand away from him. Marc laughed and leaned down to kiss her forehead. “Are you going to get in trouble, missing curfew? It’s really late.”

“I called coach when they took you in for x-rays and he said to stay with you. I should probably call and let them know I need a couple days."

"You have a game tomorrow."

"I'm not going to leave you here by yourself."

"You have to play."

"If you're discharged, I will play."

"I'll be discharged."

~*~*~


True to her word, Felicia was discharged at nine the next morning. Marc had slept in a chair beside her bed all night and he drove to her condo, following her directions so Marc could sleep more comfortably before the game. He called his coach again, promising to be at the arena by 4:30 for the game.

"They told the press you just had a maintenance day this morning but you know speculation is running wild," Felicia said, reading from her phone.

"I'm very important," Marc replied.

"Come on Mr. Important. You need to sleep."

"I'm starving; what do you have to eat?"

"Eggs, toast, probably some fruit. Help yourself. I just want to take a shower."

"You do that and I'll make breakfast."

"Can we talk about this during breakfast?"

"Sure. Do you want to call our parents?"

"Can we wait, please?"

"Whatever you want to do. We are going to tell them though, right?"

"Eventually. I need to talk to the team, figure out what they're going to say about why I'm done for the season."

"Go take a shower and we'll figure it all out, alright?"

She nodded and walked over to him, rising on for tiptoes to kiss him. "Love you."

"Ditto," Marc smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Somewhere along the way, I messed up a chapter break and this shorter than I intended. I've been messing around with it since my last update trying to lengthen it but I didn't like any of it so here it is. Sorry for the delay. Will finish sharing this week. Only a couple chapters left.