Sequel: And So I Know
Status: FIN!

If I Knew

Eight

Marc had never been as anxious for a game to be over as he was that night in Boston. In the locker room, surrounded by his teammates, he found it difficult not to blurt the news out to them. There had been inquiries about how Felicia was doing, if she’d come back quickly from the injury, and Marc answered their questions, telling them she would be out for awhile and would have to miss the olympics because of it, promising to pass on their well wishes.

He wanted to share with his second family his excitement but knew he couldn't tell them before they told their own families. So he focused, channeling his energy into his game. It was one of the better games of his career, including a highlight reel worthy goal in the second period that earned him second star for the night. He knew Felicia would be waiting for him and all he wanted was to cram in every minute he could with her since they wouldn't see each other again until the olympic break.

He gave interviews post game and showered, dressing hastily. His nerves had ramped up since the end of the game and it took him three tries to correctly button his dress shirt. Hank stopped him before he could step into the hall and straightened his tie. “Gotta make sure you don’t look a mess for that girl who is way out of your league,” the goaltender had teased him.

“She’s pregnant,” Marc had blurted out quickly and quietly. Hank had a little girl with his wife; if anyone might understand what Marc was feeling, it'd be him. And he needed to tell someone that wasn't one of their coaches.

“I’m sorry?” Hank said. “It sounded like you said -”

Marc cut him off. “I did but you can't tell anyone. We haven't even told our parents, or Jordan. Fuck! Jordan might kill me for knocking up his best friend." A look of worry passed through his eyes. Jordan was going to be pissed if he wasn't the first person Felicia told.

Hank chuckled. "I'm sure your brother will be very happy for the both of you."

"But it's Felicia. She's his best friend. They've done everything together and Jordan has always protected her and loved her. He's already pissed and says I'm monopolizing his friend."

"Your brother is needy."

"I know!"

"Let Felicia handle him. I'm sure she already knows exactly how to deal with him. Now, tell me what happened. How did you find out?"

"It wasn’t planned but we found out last night at the hospital. They ran a blood test and then they did an ultrasound to be sure." He reached into his back pocket for his wallet and glanced around. Finding that no one else was paying him attention, he pulled out one of the ultrasound pictures and showed it to Hank.

"Flea's calling it Ditto and I needed to tell someone before I lost my damn mind. Thanks for letting me unload on you."

He smiled. “If you think you’re going to lose your mind now, just wait. But seriously, congratulations.”

“Thanks.”

“You scared?”

“Terrified,” Marc admitted.

“And Felicia?”

“Scared too but I think we're gonna be okay. I asked her to move to New York."

Hank's eyebrow shot up. "Really? You think she will?"

"I don't know," Marc admitted. "She's independent and strong and I know she'd be fine here but I want her with me. I want to be part of everything. I want to spend my life with her."

"You're in love," Hank replied sagely.

"Yeah, I am."

"Too bad it took you your whole life to figure that out," he joked.

Marc grinned. "But at least I've got her now."

Hank and Marc stepped out of the visitors locker room and into the hall where a few people waited. Hank tapped his shoulder and pointed after spotting Felicia standing nearby. Marc laughed as he walked towards her and Kelly.

“What are you wearing?” he chuckled as he hugged her, careful to avoid her shoulder in its sling. He loved the sight of her in a Rangers jersey, the first time since they started dating that she had ever worn one.

“I thought I’d be a really good girlfriend and support my boyfriends team,” she answered with a grin.

He looked at the back of her blue jersey. “With a Nash jersey?”

“I wanted a Richards but they were sold out when I bought this one.”

“Next time you’re in New York, I’m getting you one of mine.”

“What about a Talbot? I like that kid.”

Kelly giggled as Felicia teased Marc. "Hi, I'm Kelly," she introduced herself to Hank who had walked over with Marc. "I play for the Blades with Fe."

"Hank," he smiled as they shook hands. "Pleasure to meet you." He turned to Felicia and took her hand in his, giving it a squeeze before leaning in to kiss her cheek and whispering in her ear.

"You have no idea how happy you make Staalsie. You guys are going to be great parents."

Felicia blushed. "Thank you," she whispered back, hugging him with her one arm. Hank smiled before parting from them and continuing out to the bus.

“I’m gonna head out, call a cab,” Kelly spoke up as Felicia leaned into Marc, his arm going around her to keep her at his side.

“No, I’ll drive you home," Felicia insisted.

“I’m good, Fe. Spend time with Marc. It was nice to see you, Marc.”

“Same to you, Kelly," he replied.

“Oh, and congratulations.”

Marc glanced to Felicia. “I had to tell someone,” she told him. “I was going to die if I didn’t talk about it with someone who wasn’t you. And you told Hank."

"Jordan's gonna be mad you didn't tell him first."

"Jordy would tell the whole world.”

“At least you recognize that your best friend is a blabbermouth.”

“I've known that my whole life.” She hugged Kelly, the two agreeing to meet for lunch the following day before the other woman headed out.

“Staalsie!” Rick called out as he exited the locker room. “Is that Fe?”

“Hi, Rick!” Felicia smiled.

“Hey, I heard you got hurt last night. What happened?” he asked.

“Got tripped and hit the boards hard.”

“Don't you mean you fell down?” Marc teased her.

“There should’ve been a penalty.”

“I think you’re just clumsy.”

“I think you can go back to the hotel with your teammates.”

“I think what that girl did was absolutely criminal.”

“Much better.”

Rick chuckled at their exchange. “So he got you in his jersey finally?” he asked.

“No, it’s yours,” Felicia answered.

“Really?”

She turned and Rick laughed. “That’s awesome. You might have terrible taste in boyfriends but great taste in hockey players.”

“I know, right?”

“See you sometime soon?”

Felicia nodded. “Mm-hmm. Good luck at the olympics.”

“That going to keep you out?” he asked, gesturing at her shoulder.

“Yep. I’m done for the season.”

“I hate to hear that.”

“One door closes another opens, right?”

“That’s right. Gotta stay positive.”

“Well I am positive that you need to get home,” Marc spoke up. “Your shoulder has to be killing you.”

“A little,” she admitted.

“Give me your keys. I think I can manage us back to your place."
♠ ♠ ♠
I have an idea for a sequel. Not sure if it will work but we will see where it takes me and Derick Brassard.....