Status: In Progress

The Violent Blue

Prologue

"I'm so sorry for this," Alexander said softly, his breath clouding in the frigid night air. "For everything, really... I’m just so tired. Hell, I don’t even know who I am anymore. It feels like I’m just a speck of dust floating in the void, a worthless insignificant speck of dust.”

He didn’t know why he said what he did. There wasn’t anyone around to hear him, and even if there had been it wasn't like they'd be able to catch what he was saying over the howling wind. The words just seemed to tumble out and, strangely enough, give Alex a touch of comfort. A sense of closure, perhaps.

"I can’t live like this," He continued. “I’m sorry.”

Without a breath of hesitation, Alexander then stepped off the cliff's edge.

It wasn't too high of a fall, but it was high enough to send him plunging so deep into the crashing waves he'd either be pulled into the undertow or be battered against the rocks. Either way his chance of survival was slim, but that was just how Alex wanted it. His only real concern was that his corpse would float into the beam of light that the Lighthouse, setting sturdy and tall just feet behind him, was giving off. He didn't want any innocent eyes being tainted and traumatized by the result of his selfish actions.

He hardly felt the fall. He hardly felt anything these days.

Alex didn't realize he'd hit the water until the cold took his breath away. The icy waves swallowed him up almost instantaneously, enveloping him in a lethal embrace and stinging his eyes with salt. Fighting hard against his body's will to survive, Alexander opened his mouth and forced water the in. He swallowed and swallowed and swallowed until his chest was on fire, feeling as though it were threatening to cave in on itself. He couldn't believe how much pain he was in…

After what seemed like an eternity of being tossed about like a ragdoll in the waves and letting in all the water he could manage, relief bloomed in Alexander's chest, like aloe on a sunburn. A strange sort of heaviness began to settle into his limbs as his face momentarily broke the surface. He was floating on his back now, mostly submerged, and looking dazedly at the sky -- it was a beautiful velvet black.

Right before the darkness takes him under, Alex finds a star.
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the incredibly short length, but it is a prologue after all. The first chapter will be much longer, promise. :) Please leave feedback! xx