Ghosts in the Snow

1/1

Dear Angel,

I'm sorry I couldn't stay here to tell you this. But my
family had to move. I just need to figure things out,
for myself, on my own. I won't see you for a while.
Last night was the last night I will ever lie next to you.
I'm really sorry. I don't know where I'm going...and
really don't know anything at all. All I know is that I
deeply love you Amber. I want you to know I will never
love another human being the way I love you. I also
want you to know that I will not move on, but if it's too
hard for you to handle you may move on to other people
if you wish. I don't want you to be alone. Inside the
envelope this letter came from is yet another envelope.
Inside is a trinket that I've left you. It's half a locket, and
half my heart. I where the other half around my neck. On
the inside of your half is an in graving I wrote for you.
Amber this is goodbye for good. I'm sorry it had to end this way.

Forever your loving,
Gerard


The ink on the fancy piece of paper was running down the page as my tears hit the note. I looked into the envelope to see where that other envelope was that Gerard had mentioned in the note. It wasn't there...it must have fallen out. I exhaled my breath making a steamy trail in the nighttime sky. I wrapped my coat around me tightly. It was a clod brisk November night. Gerard had called and left a message on my message machine early this morning to meat him in the graveyard that night promptly at eleven o'clock this night. When I'd gotten there Gerard was nowhere in sight. I went to his grandmother’s grave; he was always there. There was a note taped to the headstone. That note is what I hold in my hand now. I looked around on the ground. Retracing my steps back to the head stone where I'd found the death message. There on the ground in front of the grave lay a tiny envelope. I suppose the one he'd mentioned. I picked in up and struggled to open it with my shaky hands. I poured the trinket into my hand. Holding it up to the moon light i took the locket in my hand and looked closer at the in graving. In small cursive scribbles it read ‘And for the last night, Could I lie with you?’ Another lonely tear trailed down my face. I turned the locket to the front, which also had an in graving. Sweet Amber. I exhaled once again, stuffing the note into my coat pocket. I put the locket around my neck and slowly turned walking out of the graveyard. Not looking back, for I didn't want to look back and see everything I'd just learned one more time. Walking down the dark deserted street it started to snow. Looking off into the distance, I swore I saw Gerard's figure standing there. I ran to where thought I saw the figure. But when I got there, nothing. Just ghosts in the snow.