Steal a Kiss in the Dark

Mia's POV

December 31st, 2013

"So Mia, how was meeting your father?" my friend with a blonde streak in his hair asked.

I looked away slightly embarrassed before looking back at him to reply, "There was a lot of yelling from my end. It wasn't good. Can you blame me though? He was gone for twenty-four years of my life. That's too much time abandoned to be able to forgive him."

"Makes sense," Rian added into the conversation.

It was now New Year's Eve and everyone was gathered at what was now mine and Alex's house. The day after my father left again, literally the day after I yelled at him, Alex and I packed up all my things and brought them over. His/our house was absolutely gorgeous, and I couldn't imagine it looking any better than it does. Alex even let me replace his comforter with a girly pink and gray one.

I left my seat next to Alex so I could make myself a drink. Of course, this led to everyone asking me to make them one. While I made myself a mixture of UV blue and Sprite, I poured Alex a quick glass of whiskey and made sure not to make any for anyone else. Gathered at the house were the band guys, Cassadee, Zack's girlfriend that I couldn't remember the name of to save my life, and my cousin Cassie who was in town for the weekend. I couldn't not invite her due to the fact that I hadn't seen her since before I had moved to South Carolina. It wasn't just my mom that was cut out of my life when I moved, I had cut everyone out.

The brunette in Zack's lap then spoke up, "So Alex, how long have you and Mia been together? It seems like you two have been dating quite a while."

"About a month now," Alex laughed kissing my cheek. I had to admit, it sounds kind of ridiculous that we're living together and we've only dated for a little over a month. Zack's girlfriend must have thought so too because she let out a sort of laugh.

I then had to chime in, "We were in love with each other since we were like twelve though, so it's not like we didn't know each other when we decided to move in."

"I guess you do have a good point," the brunette warmly smiled in return. I felt kind of bad that I didn't know her name because she seemed so genuinely kind.

Feeling rude, I had to ask, "I'm so sorry, but I've completely spaced on it. What's your name again?"

"Oh, it's Amber!" she stated with another smile.

That was right. I knew her name at one point in time I just hadn't been sure anymore. From what I could tell, she and Zack had an amazing relationship. They seemed to genuinely care about one another, and she seemed to perfectly compliment Zack in nearly every way. I was happy that he found himself, what seemed like, a good girl.

"So," Cassie sweetly smiled, "how has my baby cousin been?"

"I've been good. Honestly, I've never been happier than I am right now. How about you?"

"Living the life of trying to finish my degree and plan a wedding." My younger cousin was amazing. She wanted to teach kids. There is nothing more admirable to me than someone who teaches young kids. She is the prize of the family. Cassie is this gorgeous, bubbly blonde haired beauty. There were many Halloween's where she went as a Barbie doll because that is how gorgeous she is. She has such a kind, genuine personality too. I've witnessed first hand how she will do everything she can to make anyone else feel better. She's such a selfless girl, and her fiance couldn't be any luckier.

"Wait, you're getting married?" Jack asked wide eyed. He'd always had a crush on Cassie, but when I left the rest of my family--other than my mom--was gone for him. The poor boy's heart just crushed a little bit, I'm sure.

I laughed and looked between Cassie and Jack. "I guess I should have broken the news to Jack earlier. It looks like he never got over that crush he had on you."

Cassie smiled in turn, "I remember that time he dared me to kiss him while we were sitting around playing truth or dare your senior year."

"You were just an itty bitty freshman," Alex laughed behind me, "yet Jack fell hard for you."

"Hey, in his defense, I am technically supposed to be a grade older," Cassie laughed. "The few years I hung out with the five of you were some weird times."

"It was definitely worth it though," Rian laughed with Cassadee taking a drink next to him.

We were all smiling about those high school memories. Cassie then had to reply to Rian, "I always thought Jack was gonna grow a pair and ask me out after that kiss but he never did."

"Did you even want me to? I kinda smelled as a senior," Jack laughed while walking to the kitchen.

Cassie's face turned bright red then. "I mean... yeah. I didn't let you be my first kiss for nothing."

"Jack was your first kiss?" Zack questioned. "That's unfortunate."

Alex piped in with, "It really is."

"Jack was my first kiss," I admitted with a laugh.

"And you were mine," Jack smiled walking back in the room with a drink of his own.

Everyone else in the room looked at us confused. Jack and I never really talked about the fact we were each other's first kiss because we both agreed that it didn't really count.

Jack then explained, "We were nine years old. It doesn't really count, but it was our first kiss."

"We promised we'd marry each other if we were both single and 28," I added with a laugh. "If that doesn't say best friends, I don't know what does."

"Ew, that means I kissed Jack," Alex scrunched his nose causing everyone to laugh.

Amber then chimed in, "Don't you two kiss like all the time?"

"Yeah, but it's different," Alex laughed. "I didn't know Jack and I had the same first kiss."

I then looked at him confused, "I was your first kiss?"

He nodded. "It was after our first real show. You came up and hugged all the guys then you gave me a big ol' kiss right on the lips."

"Oh that's right," I smiled remembering that day. "You were my first real kiss, I always forget that."

"Glad I was so special to you," he pretended to pout.

"Shut the fuck up," I giggled before kissing his cheek.

We all sat silently then for a little bit because we were watching this year's New Year's Rockin' Eve. As soon as the screen cut to Jenny McCarthy however, I let out a very loud groan. This, of course, led everyone to look at me in confusion.

Amber was the one to ask the question, "What's your problem with Jenny McCarthy?"

"Don't get her star-" Alex began, but I cut him off.

"She's so stupid. She thinks vaccines cause autism, but the ONLY study that 'proved' that was discredited due to the researcher falsifying all of his information. It's literally the dumbest thing to believe that vaccines cause autism. But, I'll amuse this stupid concept for one second. If vaccines did cause autism, she's telling me that she'd rather have a child die of a deadly, preventable disease than risk that child having autism because of a vaccine. She's literally saying she'd rather have a dead child than one that has autism. Say her anti-vaxxer movement takes off, which it is, that lowers our overall herd immunity. When our herd immunity is weakened, those that can not be vaccinated due to medical conditions such as allergies or a weakened immune system are put at a significantly higher risk of contracting this potentially deadly diseases. Not only that but with a lower herd immunity comes a higher chance for these diseases to mutate. If these diseases mutate it's very likely that those who are vaccinated could contract one of these deadly, mutated diseases. And-" I was cut off.

"Mia, chill. We get it. Anti-vaxxers get you heated," Cassadee laughed trying to calm me down.

"Sorry, I'm just passionate..." I trailed off into silence. I really did care about vaccinations. Oh well I guess, I can't change the whole world.

Alex then leaned into my ear and whispered, "I think it's sexy how passionate you get."

He left me wanting more of him, however, because he also decided to lightly bite my ear. This boy fucking knew how to get me. He didn't want to stop there though. I could feel his hands lightly running up and down my thighs. It was clear to me that I wasn't the only one wanting more between the two of us. I swear if we didn't have people over we'd be going at it right there on the living room floor.

It didn't take long, but I noticed Jack's eyes glued to us. As soon as I made eye contact with him his eyes shifted to Alex's hands rubbing my thighs. He looked up then, and after regaining eye contact, he gave me a slight head nod towards the bathroom. I knew exactly what he was saying.

"I'm going to use the bathroom," I smiled at the small crowd in my living room. As I walked into the bedroom I quickly texted Alex.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy shit, I posted an update. I hoped you liked it. Let me know your thoughts in the comments. I promise this next update won't take a year!