Steal a Kiss in the Dark

Alex's POV

October 17, 2013

It was five in the morning, and I had yet to go to bed. For some reason my mind was racing and I couldn't get it to stop. I was thinking about the past, which was something I hadn't done for a long time.

June 6, 2006
Graduation Day

"...and so, as we venture out into this big world, I hope the memories we found in these halls and classrooms follow us out of here. I hope everyone can take at least one thing from this place and apply it to whatever they choose to do in life," Mia closed the graduation speech before stepping off of the podium and taking her seat. I carefully watched her take her seat among all the other last names starting with A's.

None of us in our group knew what was going to happen after we left tonight. The guys and I were off to tour, Mia was going to work her ass off for some cash to go to college in South Carolina. I didn't want to lose Mia, but it seemed nearly impossible to remain this close to her.

Honestly, I loved Mia. She was cute, sassy, and knew how to hang with us, and I couldn't believe I didn't take my shot with her.


"Damn, without Mia, how would I have graduated?" I sighed, asking myself. Missing that blonde haired girl seemed ever more common lately.

June 6, 2006
After Graduation

Mia, Jack, and I jumped into my car and Rian and Zack rode together. The two of them didn't trust me to drive, and I don't know why. Oh well, my favorite girl and my favorite boy were good enough for me.

"Okay, William," Mia laughed calling me by my middle name, "where we headed to?"

"Vagina Town, U.S.A," I chuckled pulling out of my parking spot. "I think we're going to Rian's house."

"Damn it," Jack grumbled, "I like Vagina Town."

Mia couldn't help but laugh at him, "How would you even know? You're a fucking virgin!"

It was now mine and Jack's turn to laugh. "You hear that Jack? Mia thinks you're still a virgin."

"Oh Mia, sweet, sweet, naive Mia. I haven't been a virgin since I was sixteen."

"What?" Mia asked wide eyed. "And you didn't tell me when I was over crying over the guy I lost mine to leaving me?"

"It didn't seem like a good time," he admitted turning around in his seat to look at her.

Soon, we were all pulling up at Rian's. Rian we were going to have a quick band practice then eat at his place before going to Mia's.

Mia's mom wanted to pictures because throughout the years she had never seen the guys and I wearing nice clothing. I guess her mom also had a present for all of us.

As we got out of the car Mia once again hopped on my back so that I would carry her into Rian's house. Somehow, the five of us beat Rian's parents home.

Inside, Rian handed each of us a canned lemonade because that was all there was in the fridge. "Off to the basement," he sighed.

None of us were in a very happy mood. We all knew what was most likely going to happen after tonight. Mia was taking it the worst.

RIght as we played the first notes to Circles Mia began to cry. "You guys," Mia said through tears, "I can't lose you."

Rian rubbed her back and sighed, "You won't loe us Mia. We love you too much."

She sniffled.

Jack, being the goof he is, sang down to her, "Ohhh Miaaa. How the hell could we ever let you go?"

"I promise you, we'll always be your best friends," I held out my pinky for her so that I could pinky promise her.

She said nothing, and I began to cry. None of us knew what was gonna happen, and that terrified me. I wanted Mia to come with us but her mom had already said no.

June 7, 2006

That next morning Mia came over and met us at Jack's house. She was a mess and I could tell she hadn't slept at all last night. Out of the five of us, she wasn't the only one. Jack, Rian, Zack, and I stopped up until probably four talking about the tour and how much we'd miss Mia.

It was going to be really hard that we'd never see Mia every single day of the year anymore. Her moving to Charleston was the worst part about this. After tour it could have been like nothing had changed, but we were no longer to be living in the same city let alone state anymore.

"Don't leave me," Mia quietly begged with pleading eyes. Her face completely broke my heart. I didn't want to leave her but I knew we had to leave.

Jack wrapped her in a hug. "I'm sorry Mia, but we have to leave."

I continued for Jack, "I wish we didn't have to but this is going to be our career. We need to do this."

"But I need you guys," she said just above a whisper. The single tear that fell from her eye said more than she ever could.

Before we knew it, Matt was pulling up in the van we would be using for this tour. That signaled we had to leave now.

We all gave Mia one last hug. All five of us were crying. We didn't want to believe it but deep down we all knew we were losing a best friend.

The four of us piled into the van without Mia. As we drove away we all shared one last look until she was out of sight.


Oh, how we were right. Seven years, and we've seen Mia once. Never in the past six years have we seen her. In the past five, no contact with her what-so-ever. Mia became nothing but someone we mention on occassion in the past four. We mentioned her less and less in the past three, and in the past two she became nothing but a distant memory.

Now, all I do is sit and count the miles from you to me. I should have taken the chance and asked her to be my girlfriend back in high school. One time, I just needed to see her one more time to know she's okay.

Finally, I allowed my mind to shut off and to fall asleep.

Mia Albrecht was the first thing I thought of when I woke up four hours later. "Jack," I sighed knowing he also thought about her a lot.

"You're thinking of Mia again, aren't you?"

"Mhm," I sighed again. "How did we let her go? We promised her we'd always be there."

He sighed in return, "I know." The tension in the room was growing. "I miss her."

"No shit," Rian added from the front. "Mia was hot and we all knew it. Not only was she hot but she was an all around good person."

"Mia was hot," I chuckled and rolled out of my bunk to join Zack and Rian in the front.

Then the thought hit me, "Mia moved to Charleston, right?" The three guys nodded at me, "We're playing Charleston the day before her birthday, right?" Again they nodded, "We have a day off in Charleston, right?" For a third time they nodded, "Well, if she ends up at the show we definitely need to catch up with her and party with her for her twenty-fifth."

Zack was the first to speak to the plan, "How will we know if she shows up?"

"We call Mia to come to the stage, duh," Jack answered. "We need our Mia!"

"Matt!" I called out to our manager, "Can we play Oh, Calamity! tonight?"

"If I say no you won't listen to me anyways so go for it. You need to cut something if you're doing that though," he answered.

Looking at the others I said, "We need to practice Oh, Calamity! like, a lot today. Written about Mia so we might as well play it since we got a plan to catch up with her again."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Please reccomend, subscribe, and comment!

Also, if I started asking questions in my Author's note would you answer them in the comments?