‹ Prequel: Savin' Me
Status: Contest entry!

Whispers in the Dark

Whispers in the Dark

The sun creeps lazily across the sky as it begins to set; the colors were an artist’s dream.
It didn’t take that long for me to find you. It only took a quick phone call from your mom. You haven’t been home all day and she thought I might’ve seen you. I haven’t either, but I know where you are.
I’m your best friend. How could I not?

You’re sitting there looking out over the water, in our secret place, a little cove that was forgotten by the rest of the world. Our only little place that only we knew about, I’m surprise that no one’s found this place yet, but it’s hidden pretty well. We found it by accident you and me. How many years ago was that? At least ten, I think. It’s hard to imagine that so much time has passed since then. We had been racing through the jungles when you tripped and rolled down the hill. I raced after you terrified that you were gonna die. I was only two years older than you and didn’t know what to do. Our parents told me I had to take care of you, that was the only reason why they let us out to play that day.
But when I got down the hill you were fine. You stared out at the water with a look of pure awe on your face. Look! You told me not sparing me a glance but pointing out to the water when I tried to asked how you were. Eventually I glanced at the water just like you had ordered and I too was stun. I never saw water that blue or sand that looked so clean. It didn’t look a thing like the other beaches. Let’s stay here! You said excitedly. I nodded wordless, and forever on that became our place.

Despite the lies that you're making
Your love is mine for the taking
My love is
Just waiting
To turn your tears to roses


“Hey,” I said coming to stand next to you on the rock. You jump a little, proof that I did sneak up on no matter what you might say later. You offer me a small downwards glance. It’s only when you’re sitting on this rock that you’re taller than me. I can tell that you’ve been crying, your eyes are all red. I don’t say anything but pointed look out to the ocean. “Pretty.” I say with a gestured towards the lapping waves. Truthfully it the scene wasn’t much compared to you, your hair pulled into a simple ponytail even with your sweats and tank top. You’re wearing the GAP jacket I got you for your birthday a few years ago. I’m surprise you still have it it’s so old, but I’m glad you do anyway.

You eventually just start talking like you always do if I’m quiet enough. You start slowly, in a hesitant manner but before the story is close to being done you start crying. I can barely make out the words as you sob out your confession.
Your boyfriend since freshman year, I don’t bother with his name, I’ve never liked him, but you were so happy I couldn’t tell you else wise. Well you thought four years was long enough and you sealed the deal only to find out he was dating you for that one night, and now that he had it he could care less about you and never wanted to see you again.

I will be the one that's gonna hold you
I will be the one that you run to
My love is
A burning, consuming fire


I told you to scoot over a little so I could sit with you on the rock and once I was up there with you I just held you as you cried. As the sun slipped further down we watched the starts as they came out dancing for our eyes alone.
I let out one long sigh and glance down at you as you stare raptured by the night sky.
My voice a soft whisper as I confess my own feelings for you.
Even if you never realize it, I will always be here.
Maybe one day you’ll notice me, the way I notice you.
But even if you don’t it’ll be okay,
Because I’ll always be the…

Whispers in the dark
Whispers in the dark
Whispers in the dark