‹ Prequel: The New World 2
Sequel: The New World 4
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 3

Ch.1

For the whole winter the group was squatting at different houses. There wasn't a lot of snow this year but it was brutally cold. While squatting the group wasn't communicating with each other, it was like everyone was on their own. The Greene family kept to themselves, Rick and his family kept to themselves, Sabrina and Ana stayed near Daryl, and Carol, T-Dog and Glenn were helping each other out.

Summer had finally hit and they found a new house to squat in. The group had to find a place to stay for a while, Lori was going to deliver a baby real soon, within a week or two. They came across a pretty good sized house with paint chipping off of it. The guys done a quick search before Rick gave the all clear whistle. The rest of the group toted in some bags before Rick shut the door securely. When SabrinaTrixie entered she was greeted by a wide staircase leading to upstairs. She and Ana headed into the living room and sat down by Daryl, who was plucking feathers from an owl that he shot.

"Can I help?" Ana asked Daryl softly.

He looked over at Sabrina and she gave a shrug. He motioned his head for her to help. She slid off of her mother's lap and started helping Daryl pluck feathers. Sabrina sat there looking around and thinking. Rick said that he was going to fix the group, but when he told everybody about the disease and Shane, nobody wanted to comply with him. As the group got farther and farther apart, Sabrina, Ana and Daryl came a little bit closer. She saw Carl come into the living room and sit down on the floor quickly with a can. Rick went to Carl quickly and examined the can before throwing it across the room, making everyone jump and more uncomfortable. T-Dog grabbed everyone's attention and motioned to the window, that meant only one thing, walkers. The group picked their things quickly before going out the back door and to the vehicles again. Once the vehicles were loaded they took off. When they felt it was safe they came to a stop on a side road with woods on both sides.

"We got no place left to go." T-Dog stated.

"When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off. We'll never make it south." Maggie said looking at the map.

"Wha' would ya say? Tha' was 'bout a hun'red-fifty head?"

"That was last week. It could be twice that by now." Glenn said.

"This river could have delayed them. If we move fast, we might have a shot to tear right through there." Hershel suggested.

"Mom." Sabrina looked away from the map and down at Ana.

"What baby?"

"I gotta go to the bathroom."

"Um..." She said looking around.

"Take 'er b'hind the truck." Daryl said looking at them while pointing to the silver 4x4 Dodge truck that the group took.

Before Sabrina could say anything Ana pulled her to the truck. Once they got there she was doing a look out so Ana could empty her bladder. When Ana was done Sabrina handed her a small napkin so she would be dry. The two of them headed back around the truck and she heard Daryl talking to Rick.

"Hey, while the others wash their panties, let's go hunt. Tha' owl didn't exactly hit the spot."

Rick walked off slowly to the woods, giving Daryl and Sabrina a minute or two. "Hunting?" She asked with a smile.

"Yeah, gotta feed ya an' the group."

"Be careful Daryl. We don't need anyone getting hurt."

"Don't worry 'bout me. Ya should be worryin' 'bout yerself gettin' hurt."

Sabrina remembered that day, it was her first time hunting with Daryl. He wanted to see if he could find anything that would feed the group and she wanted to go. The two of them argued about it for five minutes until Daryl got fed up. They'd been out in the cold for an hour until Daryl caught a pretty good sized deer. They were heading back to the house when a walker came out of nowhere. Sabrina grabbed her knife from it's pouch and went after it. She was about a foot away from it when she suddenly slipped on a patch of ice, almost cutting her head open with the knife. Luckily Daryl was there to shot the approaching walker.

"I won't get hurt."

Daryl smirked at her before bending down to kiss her quickly. "Keep an eye on yer mom."

"I will." Ana said before Daryl joined Rick.

While Rick and Daryl were hunting the rest of the group started doing their own thing. Hershel was checking on Lori to see how she was doing, Maggie and Beth were talking, T-Dog was still looking at the map, Carl was on watch, Ana was staring at the trees and Sabrina was helping Carol organize bags.

"How are you and Daryl doing?" Carol asked folding a shirt.

"We're doing ok." Sabrina had to take caution to this subject, she knew that Carol had a crush on Daryl.

"Shorty!"

Sabrina whirled around quickly to see Daryl and Rick coming out of the woods. "Don't do that! You scared the hell outta me."

"Put everything back in the bags. Me an' Rick found a place."

"A place to stay?" Carol asked.

"Yeah. It's got a fence 'round it."

"How far is it?" Sabrina asked walking next to Daryl.

"Not too far. Maybe a couple of miles."

Rick got everybody rounded up and they started heading to the place. Thirty minutes later they arrived at the place. "A prison?" Sabrina asked looking at Daryl.

"I've got to cut the fence. Keep your guard up." Rick said before taking wire cutters to the fence.

"Ana, stay behind us." She said while taking out one of her ninja throwing knives.

Glenn and T-Dog took out a couple of walkers. Rick finally got the chained link fence cut enough for everyone to go through one at a time. Daryl was first, then Carl, Ana, Carol, Sabrina, Glenn, Lori, the Greene family, T-Dog and Rick. Glenn and Daryl quickly closed the hole up with red wire that they picked up from a run. The walker inmates started coming to the second fence.

"Now what?" Sabrina asked.

"We go ta the main gate and take the walkers down." Daryl said.

The group started jogging to the main gate, making sure that they were out of the walkers' reach.

"It's perfect. If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight." Rick said determined.

"So how do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked.

"I'll do it. You guys cover me." Glenn chimed in.

"No. It's a suicide run."

"I'm the fastest."

"No, you, T-Dog, Maggie and Beth draw as many as you can over there. Pop 'em through the fence. Daryl, go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot. Take your time. We don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel, Sabrina, Ana and Carl take this tower. I'll run for the gate." Rick instructed.

Everyone went to the designated areas and waited for Rick's signal. He entered and the shooting and dodging began. Rick got the makeshift clasp chain on the gate and went into a tower.

"Light it up!"

That's when everyone started shooting walkers down left and right. The last walker fell and everyone started heading back to the main gate.

"Fantastic." Carol said excitedly.

"Nice shootin'." Daryl said to Carol before grabbing Sabrina by the waist. "Ya too, shorty."

She rolled her eyes playfully at him. "How are you feeling Lori?" Sabrina questioned.

"I haven't felt this good in weeks."

"Good." Carol said happily.

"Mom?"

"Hmm?" She hummed with a smile.

"Does that mean I can run and play now?"

"For now. Just be careful, there might be dangerous things in the grass."

Ana smiled then took off running through the lush green grass. Sabrina had an even bigger smiled on her face, her daughter was able to be a kid again.

"We haven't had this much space since we left the farm." Carol said doing a complete 360 before jogging away happily.

Sabrina took in the scenery, green grass, woods, and the prison was secluded.

"Gotta help 'em with the bodies." Daryl said breaking Sabrina out of her trance.

"Alright." She said before standing on her tip-toes and kissing his dirty, sweaty cheek.

While the guys were dragging the now dead bodies to a pile everyone was doing there own thing. Sabrina decided to roll down the hill along side Ana, to see which one could roll down the fastest. Ana won of course because she was younger and smaller. Sabrina hadn't done that for a while so when she stood up she fell on her ass laughing.

"I haven't done that in such a long time." She told Ana, watching the sky slowly stop spinning.

Ana laughed and sat down next to her mom. "Do you think we'll stay here forever?"

"I don't know baby. I hope so." She said looking down at Ana.

A few hours went by before darkness fell upon them. Rick and Carol started a fire and everyone except for Rick and Daryl was in front of it.

"Tomorrow we'll put the rest of the bodies together. Want to keep them away from that water. Now if we can dig a canal under the fence, we'll have plenty of fresh water."

"And the soil is good. We could plant some seed, grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans." Hershel said before looking over at Rick. "That's his third time around. If there was any part of it compromised, he'd have found it by now."

Sabrina looked down at a sleeping Ana before she got up. "Can you guys watch Ana? I need to take a walk."

"Sure." T-Dog said.

Sabrina gave a small smile and walked away from the fire. She was slowly walking a few feet from the fence line so Rick and Daryl wouldn't mistake her for a walker. She was so lost in thought that she didn't realize she made it to the overturned bus that Daryl was standing on.

"Ya ok shorty?"

"Yeah. Just thinking." She said holding onto the chain link gate while looking towards the woods.

"Thinkin' 'bout wha'?"

"We're in a place that is secure. But for how long? You and I both know that something's going to happen." She said turning to look up at Daryl.

She heard Daryl sigh, he knew that she was right. "Quit worrin' 'bout it. Fer now jus' enjoy it."

"Hope I'm not interrupting anything." Carol's voice came.

"No." Sabrina said faking a smile. "I better go back in case Ana wakes up and starts worrying."

She looked at Daryl and saw him giving her a pleading look but she gave a small smile and walked back to the fire. Sabrina had he arms wrapped around her as she made her way back to the fire. She sat down by Ana as Maggie and Beth sang a song. Rick, Daryl and Carol came back to the fire and Rick told everyone that it was time to sleep because they had a busy day later. Rick got back up and Lori followed him while everyone else started settling in their sleeping bags. Sabrina got in her sleeping bag next to Ana and shut her eyes. She heard the crunching of the crisp grass and someone plop down next to her. She turned her head and saw Daryl.

"What are you doing?"

"Can't sleep by ya now?"

"Yeah, you can. I thought maybe you needed your space, you've been quiet the past few days."

"I'm fine. Jus' get some sleep shorty."

She turned her head back to Ana and shut her eyes. She was dosing off until she felt a hand go to her waist. She was surprised that Daryl did that, usually he wasn't the one to show affection to her when the others were around. Ana turned and got closer to her mother, Sabrina snuggled deeper into her turquoise sleeping bag and fell asleep.