‹ Prequel: The New World 2
Sequel: The New World 4
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 3

Ch.13

The next morning Sabrina woke up alone in her bed. She stretched and sat up, thinking was she dreaming that she felt Daryl kiss her cheek before leaving her room or not. She decided to get up and change before going down to make breakfast. When she made it down to the common area to see Carol spooning out some oatmeal into a bowl for Sabrina.

"Here you go." She said with a smile.

"Thank you."

Sabrina sat down next to Beth and a cranky Judith. "Did she wake up like that?" She asked, taking a bite of her oatmeal.

"Yeah. She ate, been burped and she's still cranky."

"Will ya shut that rugrat up."

"If you don't like hearing a baby cry, why don't you go somewhere else? She was in this prison before you." Sabrina snapped, glaring at Merle.

Merle growled and left the common area.

"Maybe if we take her outside for a few minutes. She probably wants some fresh air for a few minutes."

"I'll go with you, Beth." Carol said.

"I'll go too." Sabrina said as she finished her oatmeal.

She got up and rinsed the bowl before following them outside. Once they were outside the three of them saw Rick and Daryl talking while Hershel came back to the prison looking disappointed.

"Everything ok Hershel?" Carol asked.

"I wish it were." He said before going back into the prison.

"I wonder what he means by that?" Beth asked.

Sabrina had a weird feeling in the pit of her stomach that Rick was going to give Michonne to the Governor. She never met the Governor but she had a suspicion that if they handed Michonne over, he was going to attack anyway. Rick started coming back up to the prison, leaving Daryl alone by the fences.

"I'll be back." Sabrina said before leaving Beth and Carol's side to go down to Daryl.

Once she got next to Daryl she looked out across the courtyard while holding on to the fence.

"Rick's going to give the Governor Michonne, isn't he?" She asked, still looking over the courtyard.

"Rick's gonna try 'nd ge' Merle ta do it." He said looking over the courtyard with her.

"He does know that once the Governor has Michonne, he's still going to attack, right?"

"Rick is holdin' 'im against his word. I know the Governor will attack bu' it's Rick's call." He says then sighs. "We need ta put somethin' down in case the Governor comes back."

"How do we plan on doing that?" She asked looking up at him finally.

"Guess y'all could make it down there..." He pointed to the entrance. "With some pots 'n' pans. Bang on the fences while me 'nd Glenn put down somethin' barb wired."

"When do you want to start this project?"

"Now would be a good time."

The two of them walked back up to the prison and went inside. Daryl told Michonne and Glenn what they were going to do, leaving Sabrina to tell Maggie and Carl wanted to join in too. Sabrina, Maggie and Carl made it to the entrance, taking out a few walkers that got close to them. Carl closed them in between the two fences securely before all four of them started clanking, hitting the fence and yelling. When some walkers got close enough Sabrina took them out with her ninja throwing knife. As one of the walkers fell, she saw Daryl and Glenn jump out of the gray truck and put something barb wired on the ground. Michonne took out a walker with her sword before Daryl jumped in the bed of the truck while Glenn and Michonne got back in the truck. Once they started driving up to the prison, Maggie, Carl and Sabrina ran back to the prison. Glenn told Rick that he needed to chain some barred doors on the outside then left. The others followed Rick, except for Daryl.

"You coming in with us?"

"I'll be in there in a bit, Shorty. Gotta talk ta Glenn fer a second."

Daryl kissed the top of Sabrina's head quickly before going off in the direction Glenn went. Trixie followed the others into the prison. She started helping Carol with making dinner.

"So what are we having tonight?"

"I was thinking chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes."

"Sounds good to me."

Sabrina started making the mashed potatoes while Carol cooked the chicken nuggets the best she could. Hershel sat down by Beth and Maggie and started reading from his bible aloud. She and Carol looked over to the creaking door to see Rick coming through. Hershel called for Rick and got up from the table. While the two of them talked in a hushed tone Sabrina started mashing the potatoes in the pot. When the mashed potatoes were done she started spooning them onto the serving plates while Carol put about five chicken nuggets on the plates too.

"Have you seen Michonne or Merle?" Rick's voice came.

She and Carol looked over at him. "The last time I saw Merle, was this morning. And the last time I saw Michonne was when they were putting the barbed wire down." Sabrina answered.

"That's the last time I saw Michonne. Merle was up there watching you guys." Carol said pointing to the balcony.

Rick groaned before saying thanks then took off back outside.

"Wonder what that was for?"

"I have no idea." Sabrina lied, she knew Merle took Michonne and was going to the Governor.

"I'll go tell the others that dinners ready." Carol said before walking to the cell block.

Sabrina saw Rick come back into the common area looking slightly distressed. "Everything ok Rick?"

Rick walked to her and spoke quietly.

"Merle's taking Michonne to the Governor and I changed my mind on that plan."

"Then we have to hunt Merle down." She said putting a plate down.

"Daryl's gone after him since he's a better tracker than all of us combined. The three of them should be back soon." Rick gave her a stern look. "You keep this between me and you ok?"

"Ok." She saw the others coming in. "Do you want me to fix you a plate Rick?" She asked, changing the subject.

"Yeah. I'll have a little."

She put on a small smile and made his plate. Carol handed out the plates to everyone and Sabrina sat down next to Beth with her plate and began to eat silently. Once everybody was done eating, Rick went out to take watch while the others went to their rooms. She helped Carol clean the dishes before going up to her room. Sabrina closed the barred door and laid down on her bed, looking at the top bunk. A couple of minutes went by before Carol's voice came.

"We're all going outside for a few, would you like to join?"

"No, I'm good."

"Alright." She then walked away.

Sabrina sighed as she turned onto her side, facing the wall. She jumped when she felt someone shaking her, she opened her eyes to see Carol.

When did I fall asleep?

"What's wrong?"

"Daryl's back."

She shot up, "Where is he?"

"He's outside in the dark and he won't come in."

Sabrina ran out of her room with a flashlight, down the stairs and out the prison doors. "Daryl?" She called softly.

She jumped slightly when she heard a rustling noise coming from her left. She quickly shown her flashlight in that direction to see Daryl sitting on the ground, back against the prison and his head hung. Sabrina cautiously went to him then sat next to him. "Daryl, what's wrong?"

"Nothin'."

In that instant Sabrina knew something happened. "Daryl?..."

Before she could finish her sentence Daryl hugged her closely and buried his head into her shoulder. She was shocked at first, he was never like this, she put her arms around him while rubbing his back soothingly.

"What happened?" She asked softly.

"I had ta kill 'im."

"Kill who?"

"Merle. He..." Daryl pulled her closer and cried into her shoulder.

"He what?"

"He go' sho'...He le' Michonne go. Merle was goin' after the Governor by himself."

Sabrina felt her heart-break, Merle was trying to do the right thing and the Governor shot him. She pulled him closer and let him cry on her shoulder. The two of them fell asleep out there, wrapped in each other's arms.