‹ Prequel: The New World 2
Sequel: The New World 4
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 3

Ch.4

Morning came way to fast for Sabrina's liking. She felt Daryl get up so she sat up while rubbing her eyes. "Morning." She yawned.

"Mornin'. Why don't ya go in yer cell 'nd sleep a bit more?"

"Why? I could help you guys move the vehicles and stuff."

"Ya should be in 'ere when yer girl wakes up." Daryl said slinging the crossbow over his shoulder.

The two of them heard feet shuffling so they looked in the direction that it was coming from.

"Looks like she's up already." She said standing up. "She's always been an early riser."

"How ol' is she?"

"Nine. She'll be ten in a couple of months."

"Hmm. Tha' means she can go huntin' if she wants." Sabrina was about to protest until Ana was right next to them speaking.

"Really?" She asked Daryl then looked at her mom. "Please mom. I want to help out too. I don't want to be cooped up in this prison playing games anymore."

Sabrina thought about it for a minute before talking. "Alright but you have to pay attention to what Daryl tells you to do. And it's not supposed to be fun, it's to help feed everybody. Do you understand Ana?"

"Yes mom."

"Alright." She said kissing Ana's head. "Carol should almost be done making breakfast so let's go down and eat before the grown ups start their day."

The three of them went down the stairs and to the 'kitchen' area. When the whole group was done eating Ana went to find Carl while the others went outside. Rick started instructed on where to park the cars.

"Let's get the other car in. We'll park 'em in the West entry of the yard."

"Good. Our vehicles camped out there look like a giant 'vacancy' sign." Daryl said putting a tow chain down.

"After that, we need to load up these corpses so we can burn em'."

"Where are we going to burn them at?"

"I was thinking over there." Rick answered Sabrina's question while pointing to the spot.

"Gonna be a long day." T-Dog said.

"Where's Glenn and Maggie? We could use some help." Carol asked.

"Up in the guard tower." Daryl said pointing while putting his other hand around Sabrina's waist.

"Guard tower? They were just up there last night."

"Glenn! Maggie!" Daryl yelled.

A few second later there was movement and Glenn came out buttoning his pants without a shirt on. Sabrina couldn't help but raise her eyebrows in amusement and smirk.

"Hey, what's up, guys?"

"You comin'?"

She shook her head then looked at Daryl. He looked at her with a smirk before looking back up at Glenn.

"What?"

Everyone started chuckling, including Daryl. He cleared his throat quickly before calling out again, this time louder. "You comin'? C'mon we could use a han'."

"Yeah. We'll be right down." Glenn said before going back into the tower.

"That was so wrong." She said walking with Daryl.

"Wha'?" He asked smirking down at her.

"You know what. I think we could've waited until they were done. Do you know how bitchy Maggie's going to be now?" Sabrina asked crossing her arms.

"I'm sure he was a'most done an'way."

"I'm sure he can last more than four minutes."

Daryl snorted with amusement before leaning up against the turned over faded blue prison bus.

"Hell, I could las' longer than him."

"Really? So you're in the handful of guys that takes longer?"

Truth be told Daryl never had intercourse with anybody, sure he's been with a couple of girls but that lasted for two weeks. He never had a steady relationship with a girl because of his brother and being awkwardly shy. But with Sabrina that awkward shyness started to go away.

"I guess." Daryl said answering her question.

Sabrina gave him a suspicious look before speaking. "I guess we'll see when that times comes."

Daryl grabbed her by the waist and pulled her against him. He was still like his brother in some ways, Daryl loved a challenge.

"Is tha' a challenge, Shorty?" He whispered in her ear.

"If you want it to be." She said smirking up at him.

"Then, challenge accepted." He said before kissing her lips quickly, then let her go.

"Hey, Rick." T-Dog's voice broke through Daryl and Sabrina's 'our' time.

The group looked over to the chain linked fence and saw two inmates.

"Come with me." Rick said walking quickly.

"Shorty, st-"

"Daryl, those two won't hurt us."

"How would ya know?"

"I just have this feeling." She said before following Rick and Daryl right on her heels.

Once they got to the gates Rick told them that was close enough and reminded them about the agreement.

"Please, mister. We know that. We made a deal. But you gotta understand...we can't live in that place another minute. You follow me? All the bodies-people we knew. Blood, brains everywhere. There's ghosts."

"Why don' ya move the bodies out?" Daryl asked.

"You should be burning them." T-Dog stated.

"We tried. We did."

"The fence is down on the far side of the prison. Every time we drag a body out, those things just line up. Dropping the body and just running back inside."

"Look, we had nothing to do with Tomas and Andrew. Nothing." The southern accent guy said walking up to Rick. "You trying to prove a point? You proved it, bro. We'll do whatever it takes to be apart of your group. Just please, please...don't make us live in that place." He begged.

"Our deal is nonnegotiable. You either live in your cell block, or you leave."

"I told you this was a waste of time. They ain't no different than the pricks who shot up our boys. You know how many friends' corpses we had to drag out this week? Just threw 'em out, like. These were good guys. Good guys who had our backs against the really bad dudes in the joint, like Tomas and Andrew. Now, we've all made mistakes to get in here, chief. And I'm not gonna pretend to be a saint, but believe me...we've paid our due- enough that we would rather hit that road than go back into that shithole."

Rick looked at Daryl and Daryl gave the slightest shake of the head.

"If that's the way you want it..." Rick said then motioned to Daryl. "Follow him."

Daryl gave the two inmates a daring look and the two inmates followed Daryl quietly to the main gate. Sabrina sighed while looking down at the ground. There was no way on convincing the guys that those two were pretty much harmless now. She started walking back to the turned over bus and heard Rick talking.

"Are you serious? You want them living in a cell next to you? They'll just be waiting for a chance to grab our weapons. You want to go back to sleeping with one eye open?"

"I never stopped. Bring them into the fold. If we send them off packing, we might as well execute them ourselves."

"Thank you T-Dog. At least someone here is thinking clearly." Sabrina blurted out.

"You agree with this?"

"Rick you haven't even given these two a chance to redeem themselves. I know you were a cop but you and I both know that just because you're in a prison doesn't mean you actually hurt someone. How do you know what their like if you don't give them a chance?"

"I don't know. Axel seems a little unstable." Glenn said.

"After all we've been through. We fought so hard for all this, what if they decide to take it?"

"It's just been us for so long. They're strangers. I don't-it feels weird all of a sudden having other people around."

"You brought us in." T-Dog said to Maggie.

"Yeah, but you turned up with a shot boy in your arms. Didn't give us a choice."

"They can't even kill walkers."

"Put them on kitchen duty." Sabrina suggested.

"They're convicts, bottom line."

"Those two might actually have less blood on their hands than we do."

"I get guys like this. Hell, I grew up with 'em. They're degenerates bu' they ain't psychos. I coulda been in there with 'em jus' as easy as I'm out 'ere with ya guys."

"So are you with me?"

"Hell, no. Let 'em take their chances out on the road jus' like we did."

"Daryl." Sabrina said looking at him unbelievingly.

"What I'm saying, Daryl-"

"When I was a rookie, I arrested this kid. Nineteen years old, wanted for stabbing his girlfriend. The kid blubbered like a baby during the interrogation, during the trail-suckered the jury. He was acquitted due to insufficient evidence and then two weeks later, shot another girl. We've been through too much. Our deal with them stands." Rick said walking away with Daryl, Glenn, Maggie and Carol behind him.

"Unbelievable." She crossing her arms in anger.

"So you want them in the group?"

"I never said that. But they could help us out a little though." She said leaning up against the bus next to T-Dog.

Soon after that conversation Sabrina and T-Dog caught up with the rest of them.

"What do you want me to do?" She asked Rick.

"Move the cars to the upper yard. Point 'em facing out. They'll be out of the way but ready to go if we ever need to bail." Rick said handing her the keys.

"Got it." She said going to the cars.

Once the vehicles were parked Sabrina cut the engine and started smiling when she saw Hershel coming out of the prison. She got out and went to help Lori and Beth with him.

"How are you feeling?" She asked smiling.

"A lot better now." He said smiling at her. "You cleared all the bodies out? It's starting to look like a place we could really live in."

"Hey, you watch your step. Last thing we need is you falling."

"Alright Hershel!"

Sabrina looked over to see Glenn getting scolded by Daryl and Rick coming up.

"You're doing great, daddy."

"Ready to race, Hershel?" Carl asked.

"Give me another day. I'll take you both on." He said looking at Carl and Ana.

Ana laughed and went to her mother. "What did you do while I was helping out?"

"Beth braided my hair and we played a quick card ga-"

"Walkers! Look out!" Carl's voice rang out.

Sabrina turned around and saw about a dozen walkers coming towards them. "Daryl! Rick! Glenn!" She yelled while grabbing her knife. "Ana, go with Hershel and Beth!"

Ana took off quickly while Sabrina took one walker down.

This is not the time to not have a gun on me! She thought as walker blood splattered on her white shirt.

Sabrina saw Ana go into a caged off area first then Beth and Hershel pushed a walker away from him with a crutch before locking them in the cage. She heard Maggie call to Lori.

"Go on, I've got this. You need to be somewhere safe. Carl you go with her and make sure she's safe!" Sabrina yelled before taking down another walker.

Lori and Carl ran to Maggie. Lori shut the gate and went into the prison with Maggie and Carl. T-Dog closed the gate where the walkers were coming from.

"T-Dog! Watch out!" Sabrina called out but it was to late, a walker bit him. He got the thing off of him and shot it.

"What the hell happened?" Rick's voice came.

"The gate was open." Beth said panicked.

"Where's Lori, Carl-everyone else?"

"Maggie led Lori and Carl into C block." Hershel said.

"T-Dog was bit." Ana said.

"Anyone else?"

"I couldn't tell."

"Stay put."

"Shorty, get up there with 'em 'nd no buts."

Sabrina went up the stairs to Hershel, Beth and Ana quickly. Hershel took his crutch from the gate and let her in then put it back.

"Are you ok, baby?" She asked kneeling in front of Ana.

"Yeah. Were you hurt?" Ana asked looking at the blood.

"No. It's just blood from the walkers when I killed them."

She stood up and hugged Ana close to her side. Ana and Sabrina jumped when the prison alarm started to sound. "How are those going off?" Sabrina yelled over the alarm.

"Someone has to be on the inside." Hershel said.

Rick and Glenn shot some speakers to cut the noise down.

"How the hell can this be happening?!" Rick's voice came over the alarm as he went to the inmates.

Sabrina saw Rick, Daryl, Glenn and the inmates take off. About ten minutes past and the alarms stopped blaring.

"They found them." She sighed with relief.

"Do you think it's ok to get out of this cage thing now?" Ana asked.

"I think we should wait until Rick gets back." She said to Ana.

Ana sighed and leaned up against the fencing. A few minutes past before Rick's voice came to their ears. "Hershel!"

"You didn't find them?" Hershel asked.

Hershel quickly took his crutch away from the gate and let Sabrina and Ana go first. The two of them ran to Daryl and hugged him tightly.

"We thought maybe they came out here." Glenn said.

Beth and Hershel shook their heads.

"What about T? Carol?" Sabrina asked looking up at Daryl.

"They didn't make it." Sabrina felt her eyes start to burn with hot tears.

"That doesn't mean the others didn't. We're going back." Rick declared. "Daryl and Glenn, you come with-" Rick was cut off.

Sabrina's eyes widened in shock when she heard a baby cry. Everyone looked at where Maggie, Lori and Carl went earlier to find Maggie holding a baby and Carl with his head down slightly. Sabrina slowly let go of Daryl while Rick went to a distressed Maggie.

Where's...No!

Rick started going towards the prison but stopped and started crying. Daryl pulled Sabrina and Ana close. She rested her head on his shoulder and tears finally came out.

How's the baby going to survive without it's mother?