‹ Prequel: The New World 2
Sequel: The New World 4
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 3

Ch.5

"I gotta go check on Rick." Daryl mumbled into Sabrina's hair before letting her go.

Daryl walked over to Rick while Ana went to her mom and hugged her around the waist. Maggie handed the baby over to Carl and Hershel called to Carl.

"Let me see the baby."

"Wha' are we gonna feed it? We got an'thin' a baby can eat?" Daryl asked while walking back towards Sabrina.

Carl showed Hershel the baby girl. "The good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula. And soon or she won't survive."

"Nope. No way. Not her. We ain't losin' nobody else. I'm goin' fer a run."

"I'll back you up."

"I'll go too."

"Ok, think where we're goin'. Beth. Kid jus' lost his mom. His dad ain't doin' so hot."

"I'll look out for him."

"I think my mom should go. She knows exactly what to get right?"

Sabrina looked down at her daughter surprised. "Ana, I think I should stay here-"

"I'll be fine mom."

She's getting smarter and smarter everyday.

"Alright. Is that fine with you Maggie?"

"Yeah. I'll watch over Ana for you."

"Thanks."

"You two get the fence. Too many pile up, we got ourselves a problem." Daryl called over to the inmates.

Daryl called for Sabrina and Glenn before walking off. "C'mon, we're gonna lose the light."

"There's a Piggly Wiggly on eighty-five."

"There's no luck there. Maggie told me."

"Is there any place tha' hasn't been completely looted?"

"Me and Maggie saw signs for a shopping center just north of here." Glen said.

"Yeah, but there's too much debris on the road. A car will never get through there."

"I can take one a ya."

"I'll go."

"No, Sabrina-"

"Glenn, it's not up for debate. I know exactly what to get, I'm a mother remember? You need to stay here and be with Maggie." She said putting on a backpack before getting on Daryl's motorcycle.

He revved it up and started to the gates. Once the two of them were passed the gates Daryl sped up more. Sabrina watched the trees and walkers whiz by. They rode along for a good thirty minutes before coming to a residential area. Daryl cut the bike off and the two of them hopped off.

"Which house first?" Daryl asked.

"It might be better if we split up."

"No. I ain't about ta let ya go by yerself. If somethin' happens ta ya yer girl won't have a mother. 'Nd ya ain't leavin'-"

"Leaving who? Just come out and say it Daryl."

"Yer not gonna...leave me neither." He mumbled.

"I love you too, Daryl." She said kissing his cheek before walking to a house.

Daryl quickly took the lead into the house to make sure it was safe. He took down one walker that was in the house. Sabrina went up the stairs quickly, taking two at a time. She searched the rooms but found nothing. She went back the stairs to Daryl.

"Anythin'?"

She shook her head. "Let's go to the next one."

They quickly went to the next house and the next house after that. On the last house they found a little bit of baby things.

"Wha' are ya doin'?"

"She needs clothes Daryl." She said putting some infant clothes into the bag. "We need to hurry up and find some formula."

"There might be a place. I passed by it a couple of weeks ago."

"Well, let's go." She said zipping up the bag and heading out the door.

Daryl started the motorcycle again and took off to the place that he saw. Again Sabrina watched the scenery and walkers go by in a blur. She didn't even realize they stopped until he cut the engine. She got off and looked around.

"Company's close. Stay tight." Daryl said.

The two of them went through the chain linked fence. There was an old faded swing set, a dome like jungle gym, pedal cars, and some other toys. Sabrina figured out real quick that this place was a daycare. She looked around to find something to break a window.

"'Ere."

She took a gun that Daryl had and used the butt of the gun to break the window. Once the glass was cleared she went through then Daryl. She went to hand Daryl the gun back but he told her to keep it for now. Sabrina stopped at the colorful paper hands with names on them. She spotted one hand that read 'Sofie' and another 'Annie'. She let out and inaudible sigh and jumped when she turned around and saw Daryl staring at the hands too. You could tell by the look on his face that he was staring at 'Sofie'.

"Daryl." Sabrina's sighed barely above a whisper.

"Get what we need. I'll search the place." Daryl said walking off.

Sabrina went to the sink and opened the cabinet up and saw unused and still packaged baby bottles. When she put them in the bag she left the room and went in the opposite direction of Daryl. Her heart started racing when she heard scratching coming from a room. Daryl quickly came over to the kitchen area with her. He opened the door and she slowly opened the pantry door. Daryl shot his arrow off and killed a possum.

"Hello, dinner." He said with the flashlight in his mouth.

"You're not putting that in this bag and contaminating the baby's things." She said then looked at Daryl's hand. "For the baby?"

"Yeah. 'Ere put it in the bag." He said handing her the blonde stuffed doll.

She took it and put it in her bag before going to the cabinets above the sink in search for formula. When she opened it she found a few cans of formula and some plates. She put the items in the bag before bending down and searching the other cabinets. She put a few more cans of formula into the bag before zipping it up. When she stood and turned she saw Daryl leaning up against the wall staring at her.

"What?" She asked confused.

He shook his head and told her it was nothing. "C'mon, we need ta be headin' back."

Sighing Sabrina followed him out of the building. "Daryl when you're ready to talk about it, let me know."

Both of them turned their head to a growling sound. They saw a short chubby female walker in the fenced off yard coming towards them. By the looks of the tattered clothing Sabrina could tell she used to be a middle aged woman who was a grandmother. She had a dirty yellow wool jacket with a dirty floral blue dress. And on the jacket it had a broach that said 'Grandma' and had three stick figures hanging from it with birthstones for the heads.

"Let's just leave her be Daryl. We need to get back, the sun is settin'."

Daryl and Sabrina quickly got on the motorcycle and took off. Nightfall had hit when they turned on the dirt road leading to the prison. The gates opened quickly while someone shot a few walkers. Daryl drove through the prison gate and up to the prison. He cut the engine of and the two of them got off quickly.

"Have any trouble?" Maggie asked when they reached the prison entrance.

"None. How is she?" She asked Maggie as the three of them walked to the 'dining' area.

"She's hungry."

They entered the room and heard her crying hysterically. "Everything ok, Ana?"

"Yeah."

Daryl went to Carl to check up on the baby while Maggie, Sabrina and Beth went to a table to get the formula ready. While Beth and Maggie were making the formula she looked over and saw Daryl take the baby girl gently from Carl. Sabrina felt her heart swell up and get butterflies in her stomach. How could this dirty crossbow wielding badass be so gentle, calming and sweet with a baby? Feeling a tap on her shoulder, Sabrina looked quickly to Beth to see her holding a bottle full of formula.

"Thanks." She said while taking it and going over to Daryl.

"You want me to do it?"

"I got it." Daryl said motioning for the bottle.

She handed it over and Daryl cooed at the baby before she took it. Everyone started smiling when the baby started to drink it. Sabrina looked up at Daryl and saw his proud looking face. She started rubbing his back soothing while smiling at the sight before her.

"She got a name yet?" He asked Carl.

"Not yet. But I was thinking maybe Sophia. Then there's Carol too."

Sabrina felt Daryl tense up a little when Carl said those names.

"And...Andrea. Amy. Jacqui. Patricia. Or...Lori. I don't know."

"Yeah. Ya like tha'? Huh? Liddle Ass-kicker. Righ'? Tha's a good name, righ'?" Daryl said trying to lighten the mood.

Everyone chuckled at that and Sabrina put her cheek on his shoulder while looking down at the baby.

"Liddle Ass-kicker. Ya like tha', huh? Ya like tha', sweetheart?"

Sabrina swore her heart was going to explode when he said that to the baby. She could tell that he would be a terrific daddy, even if he had a rough childhood.

"Do you want to burp her too?" She asked Daryl softly.

He nodded a little and Sabrina's smile widened even more as she put a rag over Daryl's shoulder. "Wha's tha' for?"

"She might burp a little formula up. You don't want that on you do ya?"

He rolled his eyes at her and sat her upright with her head over his covered shoulder. He slowly and gently started patting her back. A few minutes went by and she burped, loud. Beth took her from Daryl so she the baby could sleep. Sabrina went and tucked Ana into bed. "Night baby." She said kissing Ana's forehead.

"Night mom."

She left and went to her 'room'. She let out a relieved sigh while taking her hair out from the hair clip. She closed her eyes and sighed contently when she felt someone massage her shoulders.

"We did good today." She said and in return she got a Mmm Hmm. "You were really good with her."

"Ya think so?"

She nodded her head. "Yeah. And everyone else would agree too."

Her breath hitched when she felt Daryl's lips touch her neck slightly. She turned around and stared up into his eyes. Sabrinacould tell he was searching for something in hers so she helped out and kissed his lips. Daryl gently pushed her up against the sink that was in the cell, kissing her hungrily. She let out a soft low moan while wrapping her arms around his neck. When they broke apart their foreheads rested against each other's.

"Daryl-"

"I know. We gotta wait a liddle longer." He said just as softly then kissed her again.

He backed up a little before saying good night to her.

"Daryl, can you stay with me? At least for tonight."

He thought about it few a few seconds before kicking off his boots. Sabrina smiled and climbed onto the bed. She motioned for him to follow and he got right behind her. It was a tight fit but it was still comfortable. Before they knew it the two of them were out with Daryl's arm around her waist and her right hand laying on his arm that was around her waist.