‹ Prequel: The New World 2
Sequel: The New World 4
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 3

Ch.6

When Sabrina woke up the next morning Daryl wasn't there. She didn't know why but her heart stung a little, maybe he needed to do something important. She decided to get up and change into some cleaner clothes before heading down to make everyone breakfast. While she was making breakfast the baby started crying. Sabrina was about to put down the cooking spoon until she saw Beth with the baby.

"Morning." Beth said.

"Morning. Do you want me to hold her while you make her bottle?"

Beth nodded with a smile while Sabrina put the spoon down to take the baby.

"How are you doing, sweetheart?" Sabrina asked the baby girl that she was cradling.

The baby whimpered lightly and turned her head towards Sabrina's chest opening her mouth.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, there's nothing there."

Beth came back with the bottle and took the baby while Sabrina finished making breakfast. When she was done she fixed everyone a bowl. Ana, Hershel, Maggie, Glenn and Beth got their bowls and thanked her. She turned around when she heard boots hitting the concrete floor.

"Morning. Here's your bowl." She said handing Daryl his bowl.

"Mornin', Shorty."

Daryl and Sabrina sat on the steps eating while the others ate at the table. Hershel volunteered to sit on the step but Sabrina declined. It was silent through out breakfast, all that was heard was the eating utensils scraping the bowls.

"Everybody ok?" Rick's voice echoed into the room.

"Yeah. We are." Maggie said as Rick entered the room.

"What about you?" Hershel asked.

"I cleared out the boiler block."

"How many were there?" Daryl asked.

"I don't know. A dozen, two dozen. I have to get back. Just wanted to check on Carl."

What about your newborn baby?!

"Rick, we can handle taking out the bodies. You don't have to." Glenn said standing up.

"No, I do." He said walking away from Glenn and going to Daryl and Sabrina. "Everyone have a gun and a knife?"

"Yeah. We're runnin' low on ammo, though."

"Maggie and I were planning on making a run this afternoon. Found a phone book with some places we can hit, look for bullets and formula."

"We cleared out the generator room. Axel's there tryin' to fix it in case of a emergency. We're gonna sweep the lower levels as well."

"Good. Good." He said walking away.

"Rick." Hershel called after him but Rick ignored him and left.

"Why didn't he say he wanted to check on the baby too?" Beth asked rocking the baby.

"He could have PPD." Sabrina said.

"PPD?" Daryl asked knitting his brows together with confusion.

"Postpartum depression. Usually after a baby is born the mother goes through this. It can happen in guys too." She explained.

"Did you have it?" Maggie asked.

"A little, it wasn't severe."

Once everyone finished their food Sabrina with the help of Ana cleaned the dishes. Ana decided to take off to help Beth with the baby, leaving Sabrina to wash and dry the dishes by herself. Her hands were in the room temperature water when she felt an arm go around her waist.

"Heading down now?" She asked without looking up or taking her hands out of the water.

"Yeah." He said then waited for her reply, which she never gave. "Ya ain't gonna wish me luck or tell me ta be careful?"

" I don't see the point of clearing out the lower level if we cleared this level. We're perfectly fine here."

"It's more safer if the walkers are all gone in 'ere."

"I guess you're right." She sighed. "Just be careful Daryl. I don't want to see an arrow in your side or anything." She said kissing his scruffy cheek.

Daryl pulled her to where her hands came out of the water. He spun her around and kissed her lips. She went to put her hands on his chest but he pulled away.

"Yer not gettin' me wet."

"You're not a cat Daryl. You can take a few drops of water."

He snorted and waved at her before leaving the cell block. Sabrina finished up the dishes then headed to where Beth and the baby were. "How's she doing?" She asked going into the baby's 'room'.

"She's starting to get a little fussy."

"I'll take her. You've been caring for her all day yesterday and last night."

"Thank you Sabrina."

"It's no problem Beth." She said taking the baby girl. "If you ever want to take a break from watching her, I can take care of her for a few hours."

Beth hugged Sabrina before walking out of the cell. "Why are you so fussy, sweetheart?" Sabrina asked gently while rubbing the baby's back. "You've eaten already. Do you need to burp?"

A few minutes went by and the baby girl was still fussy. Sabrina sat down in a folding chair and started to rock her gently. Pretty soon she started to hum a lullaby that she always sang to Ana. The small girl started calming down and snuggled into her. Feeling the baby relax, 'lil' ass kicker' fell asleep. Sabrina got up from the chair and put the baby in the makeshift crib. When she turned around she jumped.

"Don't do that." She hissed quietly while walking out of the cell. "Everything go ok?"

"I guess ya could say tha'. We took down one walker."

"That's good."

"Yeah bu' 'ere's the thing, the walker we took down had Carol's knife stuck in his throat." He said crossing his arms and leaned up against the wall.

"Inside or outside?"

"Out. So she fought bu' her body's nowhere ta be found."

"Are you asking to let you go look for Carol or are you telling me that you are?" Sabrina asked getting to the point.

"Yer prutty good."

"I was a nurse intern, I have to stay on my toes." She said with a smile. "Do what you gotta do. Hunt her down Daryl."

He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. "I'll be back." He said before taking off.

Sabrina sighed and went to her cell to lay down for a few minutes, her head was starting to hurt. She must've dosed off because she heard someone take the baby out of the 'nursery'. She got up and headed to the kitchen to help out.

"Sorry, I dosed off."

"It's alright Sabrina. It looked like you needed it." Hershel said while feeding the baby.

When she was done drinking her bottle Hershel burped her and held her close. Sabrina sat at the table with Hershel watching the baby when she heard footsteps. Rick came through the doorway and went to Hershel and the baby slowly. She watched him as she rested her elbow on the table and her head in her hand. The infant started fussing a little bit while Rick took her gently.

Maybe he's finally out of that state.

Sabrina started smiling softly when he started talking to his daughter softly. And when he held her close to his chest her eyes filled up with tears. And when he kissed the top of her head a tear slipped out of her right eye. She quickly wiped it away, he was finally accepting his daughter and Sabrina couldn't be anymore happier.

"I think she'd like to see the outside." She suggested.

"Some fresh air will do her good." Hershel said.

Rick started going to the door to the outside along with Hershel, Ana and Carl.

"Go on Beth, I'll finish the dinner."

Beth smiled and left with her dad. Sabrina stirred the contents that were in the metal pot, adding a few spices that they found in the actual kitchen. A few minutes went by until she heard Daryl yell and the door slamming open.

"Daryl what the- Oh my God you found her!" Sabrina said shocked while going over to them.

Sabrina closed the door and followed Daryl to Carol's cell. Once she was lying on the bed she checked Carol over.

"She alrigh'?"

"No bites or scratches. She just needs some water, food and rest. Where'd you find her?" She asked while going to get some water.

"She locked 'erself in a solitary confinement cell." He said as Sabrina dabbed some water on Carol's face.

Sabrina helped Carol take a drink from the plastic water bottle. When Carol was finished Sabrina sat the bottle next to Carol and told her to relax. Sabrina and Daryl left the cell and went up to hers.

"How'd you find her?" She asked sitting on her bed.

"I was uh...takin' a break 'nd somethin' kept hittin' on the door. I finally got tired of hearin' it so I got up 'nd opened the door ready fer a walker bu' it was 'er."

"I'm so happy nothing bad happened to her." She said getting up and hugging Daryl tightly.

Daryl hugged her back while he rested his chin on top of her head. She tilted her head up and Daryl looked down at her before she kissed him. Their peaceful moment was ruined when they heard the door slam open.

"Wha' the hell is goin' on?"

Sabrina shrugged and let go of Daryl. "There's only one way to find out." She said before walking down the stairs and to the 'common' area.