‹ Prequel: The New World 2
Sequel: The New World 4
Status: Re-edited. Complete. Sequal up. :)

The New World 3

Ch.9

Sabrina woke up feeling a little refreshed than before. She could smell someone cooking pasta so she got up and headed to the kitchen.

"Morning Sabrina. Did you finally get some sleep?"

"Morning Hershel. And yes, I got a little bit more sleep." She said walking up to Axel, helping him with the bowls.

Beth came in with Judith and the woman that Sabrina blew up on and the level-headed guy stood up.

"How old is the baby?" The woman asked with amazement.

"Barely a week." Hershel answered.

The woman walked over to Beth. "To be honest we never thought we'd see another baby. Beautiful."

"Thanks."

"How are you feeling?"

"She's not mine."

"Where's the mother?" She asked then looked over at Sabrina.

She shook her head with a sad look while everyone stayed quiet. The woman looked back to Beth saying sorry then walking away. Beth fixed the bottle and went back to the cells.

"Man, you people have been through the mill." The level-headed one said.

"Haven't we all?"

"It's only getting worse out there. Dead are everywhere. And it's only making the living less like the living."

Sabrina gave Ana her bowl and sat down next to her and started to eat too.

"You're the only decent folks we've come across."

"You've been out there all this time?"

"Our neighbor Jerry, he was one of those survivalist nuts. Everybody on the block thought he was crazy. Always preparing for the end of the world."

"Who knew?"

"Jerry knew. He had a bunker under his shed in the backyard. Sasha and I stayed there until we ran out of supplies. Allen and Ben were the first two people we ran into when we finally crawled up out of that hole around Jacksonville. Used to be a bunch of us, twenty-five at one point."

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened to Jerry?" Sabrina asked when she swallowed her noodles.

"He decided to go up to Michigan to see his son and daughter. We never heard from him again." The level-headed guy said.

"Our camp got run six, seven weeks ago."

"And Donna-" The guy couldn't finish.

"We'll see that she had a proper burial." Hershel reassured.

"I appreciate you taking care of us. For a while, we didn't know who we were dealing with."

"Neither did we. We've had our problems with people."

Shane.

"I must be the first brother in history to break into prison." Level headed guy joked which made Hershel and Sabrina chuckle.

When Ana and her mother were done, Sabrina cleaned the bowls quickly while Ana went back to the cells.

"Makes me the first white boy that didn't want to break out." Axel said half-joking.

Sabrina decided to go back to the cells and help Beth out. "I'll take her Beth. You look exhausted."

Beth slowly handed her Judith and the burp rag. "Thank you." She said with tears in her eyes.

"Oh Beth sweetie, don't cry." She said holding the baby in one hand and pulling Beth into a hug with the other. "I bet you'll feel a little bit better if you get some rest. I'll tell everyone to let you be for a while."

Beth let Sabrina go, wiped her eyes and gave a weak smile at her before leaving the cell. Sabrina sat down where Beth had been sitting and started burping Judith. Once Judith was done burping, she rocked the baby to sleep. She laid her down then left the cell and found that Beth was sleeping, Axel and Hershel were hanging out together. She went to Ana's room to see her coloring.

"Hey baby, can I color with you too?"

Ana looked up with a smile on he face then nodded. Sabrina sat on the ground next to Ana and started coloring bird while Ana colored the dog. Ten minutes past and she heard Hershel say that they were back. Ana and her looked at each other with smiles then got up quickly. All of them went outside to greet them. Glenn came through looking furious with a big black eye.

Oh my God. What happened?

Ana was about to ask Glenn what happened but Sabrina squeezed her shoulder then shook her head. Glenn needed to cool down before anyone talked to him. They saw Maggie looking pretty good, no visible marks were shown. Maggie and Beth went inside and Sabrina went to Rick while Ana went to the bleachers.

"Did you get a good look at him?" Hershel asked.

Rick shook his head then said, "He had Daryl and Merle pitted against each other. A crowd cheering for them to fight to the death. What kind of a sick mind does that?"

Merle's alive?

"The kind this world creates." Hershel answered.

"Rick where's Daryl? He's not-" Sabrina couldn't finish, it felt like her throat was closing up.

"Daryl's fine, I prom-"

"Then where is he?"

"He took off with Merle. I tried my best to stop him. But once he saw Merle, he wasn't changing his mind. And I wasn't about to let Merle waltz in here, not after what he done to Glenn."

Sabrina felt the tears well up in her eyes as she backed up a little. "Ana do you want to stay out here for a bit?"

"Yes."

"Alright. I'll come check on you in a bit." She said kissing her dauther's head before heading inside.

Once she was inside she went straight to her cell and cried. She didn't really know why she was crying, she knew that if he ever found Merle, he'd take off with him. But Daryl told her that he loved her and would be back. Sabrina felt so stupid for falling for that, she felt like a teenager getting their heart broke by their 'soulmate'. Wiping her eyes she got up when she heard Judith crying hysterically. She practically ran down the stairs but stopped when she saw Rick holding the baby.

"She could have a stomach ache. Or she still could be tired." Sabrina suggested.

Carol and Ana came in when Beth took Judith from Rick. Rick left the cells to clear his head while Carol went up the stairs to make a makeshift bed for Judith and Beth followed her.

"Are you ok mom?"

"Yeah baby. I'll be fine. Let's go up and color some more."

The two of them went back to Ana's cell and colored some more. Both of them played games with each other for a couple of hours before Sabrina went down to make dinner for everyone. While she was making dinner Axel helped her out. She took a long breath as she inwardly groaned.

"What are we having tonight?"

"Macaroni." Sabrina answered.

"Do you need any help?" Sasha asked.

"No. I'm good. Besides you're the guests."

Sasha walked back to her brother with her arms crossed. Once she was done cooking Axel made the plates. Sabrina took two plates to Allen and Ben she bent over getting ready to put the plates in front of them but stopped.

"You two better watch your step. I know what you were planning by looking at your eyes and facial expressions. You even try to take over our turf I'll make your life a miserable hell." Sabrina threatened lowly before setting the food in front of them. "Enjoy your dinner." She said with a smile then walked away.

She sat down next to Ana and ate with her. When everyone was done Axel got stuck on dish washing duty. Sabrina tucked Ana in then went down to the adults to talk about Woodbury.

"Whenever Tomas went off, Oscar always stood up for me, you know? He was my friend."

"He went out fighting."

"So what now?" Beth asked coming to the circle with the baby in her arms. "You think the Governor will retaliate?"

"Yes." Maggie said.

"Let him try." Glenn added.

"Sounds like he's got a whole town. We're outnumbered and outgunned." Carol interjected.

"We could use some reinforcements." Hershel said suggesting the new comers.

"Hershel's right. If you're suggesting that he's going to attack, we need them Rick." Sabrina said.

Rick went and the rest of the group went to the new comers to speak to them.

"I'm Tyreese." He said holding out his hand politely.

"Sasha, Allen, Ben." Hershel introduced.

"How'd you get in?" Rick asked dismissing the handshake.

"Fire damage to the administrative part of the prison. Wall's down."

"That side's completely overrun with walkers. How'd you get this far?"

"We didn't We lost our friend Donna."

"They were lost in the tombs." Carl interjected.

"And you brought them here?"

"Rick, it was the right humane thing to do." Sabrina said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"He had no choice." Hershel also said.

"I'm sorry about your friend. We know what that's like."

"Hershel said you could use some extra hands. We're no stranger to hard work. We'll go out and get our own food, stay out of your hair. You got a problem with another group, we'll help with that, too. Anything to contribute."

Rick thought for a few seconds before saying no. Sabrina let her arms fall to her sides in shock. He was dismissing them even after Tyreese's proposition.

"Please." Sasha pleaded. "It's like 10 Little Indians' out there. It's just us now."

Rick thought again then said no, again.

"Let's talk about this." Hershel said. "We can't just keep-"

"We've been through this. With Tomas, Andrew. Look what happened."

"Not all people are like them Rick." Sabrina said.

"Axel and Oscar weren't like them." Carol said backing her up.

"Where's Oscar now?" Rick snapped.

"He died helping you save Maggie and Glenn. He wasn't bad." Sabrina snapped at him.

Everyone got silent then Rick broke it. "I can't be held responsible."

"You turn us out, you are responsible." Tyreese said.

"Rick." Hershel said getting his attention.

Rick went to Hershel and they talked quietly. Sabrina watched as Hershel's words finally broke through Rick's hard head. He looked up to the balcony then to the ground, then looked back to it from the corner of his eye. Tilting her head a little, Sabrina looked up at the balcony and saw nothing. She looked back at him and his demeanor changed completely.

"Why are you here? What do you want from me?" Rick asked walking to the balcony.

"Dad?" Carl asked with concern.

"Why are you-no."

What the hell is he seeing?

Sabrina walked over to Carl and put her hands on his shoulders to comfort him and to get a better look at the balcony. Maybe there was something casting a shadow and Rick's mind was playing tricks on him, no shadow, nothing.

"I can't help you. Get out!"

Tyreese was whoaing while Rick kept repeating 'get out'.

"Hey, come on. It's all good." Tyreese said.

"What are you doing?" Sasha asked.

"Hey, easy, Rick. There's no need to-" Maggie said then jumped back.

"You don't belong here! Get out! Please!" Rick yelled while taking out his gun.

Everyone got alarmed and backed up a little. Tyreese told Rick to relax and that they were leaving. Glenn escorted them out while Rick kept yelling and looking at the balcony. Sabrina handed Carl over to Maggie and went to Hershel.

"What the hell is the matter with him? Is he having some kind of break down because of them?" Sabrina asked quietly.

"It seems he's hallucinating."

She watched him for a few more minutes and he looked down at his ring.

Is he hallucinating about Lori?