Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

What Happened With Patrick

Jonny had already left for his game tonight. I was waiting back home for Katie. It would have probably been better if we just met at the arena, but… I wanted to talk to her. When she came back, I wanted to kind of give her the time she needed to adjust to things on her own. But now that things have kind of settled, I felt like we needed to have the ‘I’m here for you’ conversation. She’s more than likely going to brush it off, but it won’t hurt to have her hear it.

Tonight, I had opted to leave the jersey in the closet with the buzz I created about it the other night. Instead, I pulled on a Blackhawks shirt and then a hoodie over that. Now, I just needed Katie to show up. I knew she had to be there earlier. Jon was rather persistent with me making sure she shows up on time. He obviously hasn’t figured out that my lateness isn’t a family trait…

When she got here, she tried to hurry me right out the door so we could make it to United Center. Somehow, I convinced to come sit for a few minutes. We went into the living room and sat on the couch next to each other with a good amount of space between us.

“What?” she huffed.

“… You’re wearing Kaner’s jersey,” I couldn’t help but comment.

“So?! You gave it to me!” was her quick reply.

“I didn’t think you’d actually wear it,” I laughed.

“Well… I didn’t have anything else to wear to the game!”

“How’d things go with Jon earlier?” I changed subjects.

“I think he’s really nervous when we’re alone,” she let out a laugh as she told me.

“He has his awkward moments,” I couldn’t keep my smile from taking over.

“He did tell me about the puck drop thing,” she clarified for me, “And if you told him to do that, I swear, Kylee…”

“I didn’t! I promise!” I cut her off. “He brought it up to me… on his own!” I explained.

She still eyed me oddly as if not completely believing it. Whether she did or not, she never commented on it any further.

The two of us sat in silence for a few moments then. This was the time I needed to talk to her about what I actually wanted to in the beginning. I felt like I had to handle it carefully though.

“So… how have things been since you’ve been back?” I asked her, trying to ease my way into this subject.

“Good,” was her simple reply.

“Like… you’re doing ok with everything?” I pressed a little more.

“Yeah…”

“… You sure? I mean… what happened with Patrick yest…”

“Kylee, I’m fine!” she cut me off. This was what I expected from her anyway.

“Ok, well… if you ever think you’re… not fine, you can talk to me about anything,” I countered, speaking softer than before.

“… Don’t get all psych on me, Ky,” she pushed out through a bit of laughter.

“I just work with people kind of like you and I know it can get rough sometimes…” I added.

“Really, I’m fine,” she said and stood, obviously done with this conversation. “Now, lets go see your man kick some Flyer ass!”

“Maybe soon you can say your man too…” I poked fun as we left the apartment.

“Yeah…” she laughed at me. “I think I’ll deal with being related to a player by marriage first.”

“We’re not married yet…” I reminded her.

“Well… close enough!” she threw her hands up before we slid into my car.

I giggled at her words. Our little chitchat had gone well. I was happy with it. She knows I’m here for her if she ever needs me. And I do trust her when she tells me she’s fine… to a point. But I also do trust that if she gets to the point where she’s really not fine, she’ll let someone know. I’m so proud of everything that my sister has achieved. She just needs to make sure she takes care of herself now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww sappy sister chapter. D'awwww :3

Ky

Comment??