Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Of All People

“She won’t answer the fucking phone,” I complained as I let my phone fall onto the bed. I was frustrated and worried and I just wanted to make sure Katie was ok! I had been trying her ever since she left and I got nothing!

“I’m sure she’s fine,” Jon rubbed my back to try and calm me.

“I should have stopped,” I muttered and rubbed my hands over my face.

“It’s ok,” he kept going, continuing with his actions.

I sighed heavily and sat on the bed next to my phone. I wanted so badly for it to light up with Katie’s number. At this point, I was nearly willing it to happen. But the longer I looked, the more I realized that… it wasn’t going to happen.

“Should we… call Patrick?” I asked and glanced over at Jon who had just sat next to me as well.

“Why… would we do that?” he asked, crinkling his brow as he looked back at me.

“I don’t know! That’s someone she’s not upset with right now,” I huffed, not believing what was coming out of my own mouth.

“I mean… if you want me to, I’ll give him a call,” he seemed shocked that I was even considering this.

“Please.”

He nodded his head and pushed himself to his feet. While he walked out of the room, he dug his phone from his pocket. I watched him as he disappeared out of site. Another sigh came out of me once I heard the low mumbles of his voice in the distance. I wasn’t sure if he would be able to get to her base or anything, but maybe she would be willing to pick up her phone if she sees his name come up instead of mine or Jonny’s.

Once their conversation ended, I got up and told Jonny I was going to hop in the shower. That didn’t help me much. All I did was think! I knew all those times that she said she was fine, she wasn’t. But I didn’t want to break her down like this… and I felt so bad. I just wanted to talk to her… and it kind of backfired.

When I stepped out of the shower, I was slow at drying off. I kind of just stood there with a towel wrapped around myself. With me taking this long, Jon called out to me, asking if I was ok. Instead of answering, I walked out to find him lying on the bed; the TV the only light in the room. He sent me a small smile and opened an arm for me. I accepted and walked right into it. He pulled me down next to him. I gladly snuggled against his chest while his large palm ran along my back. It would go all the way from the small of it until his fingertips brushed against my shoulder blades at the top.

“She’ll be ok,” he whispered before planting a kiss to my forehead.

“We put Kaner on the job…” I couldn’t help but giggle.

“I feel like I warned him enough that he knows not to mess around with this one,” he tried to assure me even more.

“I think she trusts him,” I opened up about it.

“That’s not a bad thing. She needs someone other than her sister.”

“But she has a big brother now too,” I grinned as his lips curled into a small smile.

“I think she needs someone else though…” he spoke once he gathered himself.

“I want to believe that Patrick would be good for her, but…”

“It’s Kaner,” he chuckled.

“I love my sister to pieces, Jonny. And I’ve never been so proud of her for doing what she’s done, but… it hurt so bad to watch her leave and not know if I was going to see her again,” I told him for the first time. “And now to see her still tore up over what happened while she was gone and… it hurts even more. I don’t want anything else to happen to her.”

“But you didn’t have any control over any of that,” he spoke gently.

“She’s my sister though… I want to help her,” I huffed, feeling defeated from all of this.

“I think… you should let me help you right now,” a small smirk began to twist at his lips.

I glared at him playfully. This only made his hand come down and grab at my backside. I squealed from the surprise and countered by smacking at his that was still covered by his snug jeans. Of course this didn’t go over well.

Even though Jon was taking my mind off of things right now, I was still going to be worried about my sister once morning came. All I could hope for now was that Patrick got through to her… Patrick… of all people.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment??