Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

You Need A Vacation

My sister seemed kind of stressed as she started to rant on about how her and her fiancee haven't even started planning for their wedding. I just let her rant, I wasn't about to really throw my two cents in when it really wasn't my area of expertise. Navy was my expertise, weapons and combat, that was my area. Now, unless she was going to have guerrilla warfare at her wedding, I didn't need to be tossing in my words of wisdom.

“You need a vacation. You seem pretty stressed.” I mentioned, sipping on my water and watching her over the rim of my glass.

“I don't need a vacation, I just need this wedding planning to start!” she whined, dropping her arms onto the table top heavily, letting out a big sigh. I laughed and shook my head at her slightly.

“Alright.....well, how's the season going for your man? They've only just started, right? Early October is when the season started?” I asked, racking my brain. I had just gotten back from a six month deployment and then moved home ports, my mind was a little scattered.

“Yeah, its been going pretty well. No serious injuries or horrible losses to report.” she said, tapping her fingers for a moment as we waited for the bill. I slipped my military I.D. and credit card to the waitress while Kylee looked out the window. We then gathered up our things and headed out onto the streets.

It was warm for an October day, but there was a slight cool breeze coming in from the lake, winding through the streets and buildings. It was a big change from San Antonio, where I was previously. Ky's phone buzzed with a text and she made a grunting noise before looking over at me for a moment. She looked like she was thinking really hard, her brows scrunched up slightly. I raised an eyebrow at her for a moment before she shook her head and texted back, placing her phone in her pocket again.

“You up for crashing practice? Jon really wants to meet you.” She asked, crossing her arms. I smiled a little bit and laughed slightly.

“Jeez, I finally get to meet this mystery man? After almost three years of just seeing him on TV? I don't know if I'm ready!” I teased, making her roll her eyes heavily as she started walking. She made a mention of the United Center being just around the corner as I started to catch up with her.

“How was your deployment?” She asked after we were silent for a few moments. I tensed up slightly at the mention of it. Being a Corpsman, I worked on base and deployment as a nurse tech. I recently started working with special forces and on my recent deployment, I assisted Marines and Navy SEALS. I saw things that I never expected to see in my lifetime. I'm sure Ky saw my reaction as she seemed to stop looking over at me, waiting for my answer.

“Oh, uh, boring. Lots of desert, really.” I said, sending her a smile as we continued walking. We came upon the doors to the large building, where she greeted security with a smile and we walked right inside.

I grinned slightly to myself as I knew I wanted to mess with this fiancee of hers. I was totally going to pull the tough Sailor card on him. Kylee sent me a look that said she had a feeling I was gonna do something. I just smiled back at her and let her lead the way.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

Katie