Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Friday Morning

Time really flies by when you don't notice it. It just slips right past you, under your nose, then you suddenly see how much you've missed. I haven't spoken to or seen Ky in almost a month. Jon would try and text me but he gave up. The only one who hasn't stopped is Patrick. Everyday, he sends me little quotes, from movies, from his teammates. Maybe he just doesn't know what to say, which is completely understood.

I've been busy, very busy. I got career counseling, made a resume, and officially retired. My retirement ceremony was quiet. My parents came, on the condition that they didn't tell Ky they were there. I still have four years of reserves duty but officially, I was no longer active duty. I found a small apartment just outside the city to live. A nicer part of the outer city. I applied at hospitals, clinics, and physical therapists. Today was different though. Today, I had an interview with the Blackhawks. They needed more people on their medical team. So here I was, in the parking lot, getting out of my car.

The interview went a lot better than I had expected and it ended with me finally having a regular job. There was practice going on as I walked by the walkway into the rink. I could hear the sounds of the blades cutting into the ice and sticks slapping the puck. I started walking again, getting a few feet from the locker room before the door opened and I was walking right into someone. They grabbed my arms to keep me from falling over but then they wouldn't let go. I looked up from their chest and saw Patrick looking back at me.

“Where have you been?” he asked, his big blues full of concern. I was about to answer when he pulled me out of the way of the door and around the corner.

“I just.....I needed some time alone.” I said, adjusting my bag on my shoulder. He looked down at the stick in his hands and moved his gloved hands along it before letting it lean against the wall.

“You could of at least texted me back.....” he said, looking at me through his lashes. I sighed and let my head rest against the wall as well, closing my eyes.

“I'm sorry....I had to take care of myself first.” I said. I opened my eyes and he was nodding a little. It was such a strange look for him. I was so used to the Patrick Kane I had seen on television and in the locker room. Cocky, happy, and full of spark. Standing in front of me, he was a little hunched over, nervous, shifting his weight constantly.

“You alright?” he asked, taking his stick again and leaning on it, probably to stop himself from fidgeting.

“Yeah, I am.....I retired from active duty. I um.....I got a job here, working as a physical therapist.” I said. Patrick started to smile, a little sparkle in his eyes again. It made me smile as well and then he laughed, pulling me into his arms for a hug. With all the padding, it was like hugging a wall but it was still Patrick.

“So does this mean you'll talk to me again?” he asked, laughing a little at his own joke as he rested his chin on top of my head.

“Yes, I'll talk to you again.” I said, laughing as well. He heard voices from down the hall and looked back at me.

“I'd better get to practice. I'll see you tomorrow?” he asked, still smiling.

“Friday. I start here Friday morning.” I replied. He nodded and smiled more, reaching over and messing up my hair with his gloved hand.

“Nice seeing you, Kate.” he said, waving at me like a little rascal and smiling like an idiot as he went towards the rink. He walked past Jon and slapped him in the helmet, laughing loudly as he went. Jon paused, maybe sensing I was staring at him, and turned around. I waved at him and he looked shocked but slowly waved back before going onto the ice and right over to Patrick. I smiled to myself and shook my head, going back out to my car and heading back to my crappy apartment to finish unpacking my stuff and restarting my life now, as a civilian.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

Kate