Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Tight Pants

My first day on the job with the Hawks and I couldn't even explain how excited I was. I showed up and was given a team jacket and then the head team doctor showed me around. Practice was due to start in an hour so they showed me me specifically around the physical therapy room, where I was going to be with four other trainers. I was the only woman, something I was pretty used to. They also explained I would be on the bench during practice and games, so I could assess injuries right there. Then we went out to practice. They left me to it and I watched practice, making sure I looked busy.

“Wow, those are some tight pants.” I heard a familiar voice say. I glanced over to see Patrick leaning on the door to the bench, a huge smirk on his face.

“Yeah, you think so? I dunno, I think they make my butt look big.” I teased, making him turn red, like his practice jersey.

“Ow! I think I pulled a muscle in my groin!” he yelped, falling onto the ice like a starfish. I went over, leaning over the wall to look at him. He smirked at me and I laughed, just as Jon came over and sprayed Patrick's face with ice.

“Kate, what are you doing here?” Jon asked, poking Patrick with his stick. He noticed my team jacket and looked confused.

“I retired from active duty, got a job on the medical team here.” I said, rolling my eyes as Patrick winked at me.

“You retired? Why didn't you say something?” Jon asked, skating closer and leaning on the wall next to me.

“I wasn't exactly happy at that time. I needed some time to myself.” I said, shrugging a little. Patrick got himself up, wiping the melted ice off his face and throwing the towel at me with a cheeky grin.

“I'm sure Ky is going to be really happy to hear that. I mean, that you're doing okay.” Jon said, drinking some water and sprayed his face.

“Yeah, I was going to text her later today.” I said, pausing for a second and then pulling my phone out of my jacket pocket. I sent her a quick text, asking her if she wanted to meet up and that I was sorry.

“She's supposed to be here, actually.” he said, hitting Patrick with his stick and then Patrick hitting him back.

“Are you guys doing okay?” I asked, leaning forward a little. Patrick skated away, seeing as it was a more private conversation. Jon sighed heavily and rubbed his face with his glove.

“I don't know. I have no clue when it comes to wedding stuff and I've been stressed about making the Olympic team. Then last night, she told Sharpie and his wife that it was postponed.” he vented, looking at me with such desperation. He looked scared and confused, like a puppy.

“Have you talked to her about it?” I asked, scanning the crowd behind him. I thought I saw Ky in the small crowd of fans but then Jon spoke again and I lost my sight of her.

“She doesn't want to talk about it anymore. I'm worried, Kate. I love her and I'm....I'm scared that she doesn't want this anymore.” he said.

“I think you two need to sit down and talk. I think she expects you to be all up in this wedding planning shit and you expect her to walk out. That's not good.” I said, patting his padded shoulder. “Talk to her.” I said. The whistle blew for the end of practice and he nodded slowly.

“Yeah....thanks.” he said, nodding to me and going to the locker room. I sighed and looked down at the ice, then feeling a pair of lips on my cheek. I looked over and saw Patrick smirking like an idiot as he started to run away, as quick as his skates would take him. When I looked up again, I definitely saw Ky, walking down the stairs from the bleachers and into the hall. So she was here. Which means, she saw my text and maybe, she was coming to talk to me......or she was going to leave.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kaner is my man crush monday :P

Kate