Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Calm Down, Cappy

After I read Katie’s text, I let out a squeal while I typed out my reply. She didn’t tell me who the date was with, but… I could only assume that it was Kaner. Because, I mean… who else could it be?!

While I was rummaging through my makeup, I heard the door open. It was either Jonny or Katie, so just stayed put until they yelled or came to find me. Their footsteps drew nearer, making me glance around. Jon stepped into the bathroom, looking spent from his day of practice.

“Rough day, honey?” I cooed at him.

He huffed loudly and nodded his head. I gave him a sympathetic pout and reached out to rub his back once he was close enough.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I asked once he sat on the edge of the tub.

“I’m just stressed,” he muttered and ran his hands over his face.

“About everything going on this season?” I tried to get more out of him.

“Yeah,” he sighed once more.

My pout came back to me while I went over to him. I stepped between his legs and let my arms wrap loosely around his neck. As he put his own arms around my waist, I planted a soft kiss to the top of his head.

“And us,” he added after I laid my head on top of his.

“Us should be the least of your worries,” I told him and ran my fingers through his hair.

“But… our wedding,” he countered.

“I told you not to worry about our wedding,” I assured him.

“But I am. I know you want it to happen and I want it to happen and…”

“It’s fine. I’m ok with how things are,” I cut him off in hopes that he wouldn’t get so worked up.

“I’m not,” he replied and looked up at me with those dark, puppy dog eyes.

“Jonny,” I cooed at him and still couldn’t keep my smile from taking over my lips.

“I just know how long you’ve been waiting for this and how much you want to start a family. We’re kind of not going anywhere with any of that right now.”

“We don’t have to be married to start a family…” I couldn’t help but smirk this time. Just give me babies, Jonny!

“My mother would love that,” he chuckled.

“I’m already on your mother’s bad side as it is…” I giggled as well.

“No you’re not,” he cackled once more.

“She hates me,” I muttered and stepped out of his reach.

“No, she doesn’t,” he tired to convince me.

But I knew better! When a mother walks in on her son having a little… romantic time with his girlfriend, things aren’t going to be rainbows and butterflies after that. She thinks I corrupted her boy. I swear…

“She does…” I laughed then and went back to getting my makeup out for Katie.

“What are you doing?” he finally changed subjects.

“Katie has a date and she asked me to help her get ready for it,” I smiled brightly.

“With who?” his brow wrinkled as he looked at me.

“I don’t know, but I think it’s…”

“Patrick?!” he got a bit testy.

“Probably,” I shrugged.

“She can’t go out with him,” was his next response.

“… Why not?” it was my turn to crinkle my brow.

“She can’t be with a guy like Kaner.”

“He’s one of your best friends. How can you say that about him?” I was confused. Shouldn’t he be… happy?

“Because I know how he is with women. Katie’s not going to be any different.”

“Calm down, Cappy,” I teased, trying to hold back my giggle.

“Ky, that’s your sister. You can’t let him do that to her,” he was obviously getting worked up.

“… Are you… stepping into this big brother role for her now?” I questioned, looking at him sideways.

“… No,” he shot back.

Before I could press on, there was a knock on the door. Jonny let out a sigh before he turned to go get it. From the small talk that I heard, I knew that Katie had arrived. When I first saw her, she seemed so happy. I was excited for her tonight!

“Ok, Jonny boy, leave. We got girl stuff to do,” I pushed him out of the bathroom.

Playfully, he fought back, but eventually left Katie and I to be alone. Once he was gone, she did confirm that Patrick was the one she was going on a date with and was excited. Even though I knew Patrick has a way with the ladies, I was just happy to see Katie excited for something. And it was just one date. It’s not like they’re making life long plans together. As long as he treats her well tonight, I won’t have any problems. If there is though, he’ll be getting a visit from me the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment??