Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Have My Cake and Eat it Too

"You need to lighten up," I teased once Katie and Patrick left.

Jon just grumbled and fell deeper into the couch. I sighed and sat next to him. He still had a grumpy look on his face. In most situations, I would laugh at it… But this wasn’t one of those situations. It frustrated me!

"It’s just a date," I spoke gently, trying to ease him out of this mood.

"Yeah," he still mumbled.

"I’m excited for her!" I told him, "If anything she has a friend that she’s comfortable with."

He still sat there with that grumpy expression on his face. I huffed, giving up before an argument broke out. After a few moments though, a thought accrued to me. My laptop was sitting on the coffee table. I grabbed it and opened it. The screen came to life and I typed in Pinterest into the address bar. After the page loaded, I glanced over at Jon, noticing that I had his attention.

"Since we’re just sitting here, we can look at wedding things," I told him.

It wasn’t much, but the corners of his lips curved into a small smile. He sat up a bit and scooted over closer to me.

“Did you have any ideas for colors?” I questioned.

“Red,” he was quick to reply, making me give him a sideways glance. “What?” he chuckled so cutely.

“Pick something a little more obvious, I dare you,” I taunted.

“I… like red,” he chuckled.

Every time I thought about our wedding, I imagined oranges and pastel colors… Apparently, Jon thinks red. At least we’re talking about it though. He even seems to have a little spark in his eyes. To amuse him, I typed in red wedding.

“People… actually do this for their wedding?” he asked once I got to scrolling through the pictures.

“Yeah, it doesn’t have to be a completely white traditional wedding,” I countered.

“So, we can…” he paused to type on the keyboard. From his stretched position, his thick fingers keyed in the word hockey, which replaced red.

“You’re such a nerd,” I giggled and rested my head on his shoulder as he took over the controls.

“But… we could have a Canada/America faceoff!” his eyes lit up, showing his excitement now… and I loved every second of it.

“Except Canada isn’t going to win this match up…” I had to smirk.

“Mhm,” he hummed with a little smirk taking over his own face.

I still managed to smile and let my arms wrap around his middle. He sat here and scrolled through nearly every image that came up; even commenting on what he liked and what he didn’t. It was such an improvement from a few months ago when we could barely even bring up the W word.

“This is so cool,” he rambled with a cheesy grin on his face.

“I’m happy you finally seem excited about it all,” I countered.

“Well, I didn’t think you could… do this!” he said and pointed to a cake… that was formed into the Stanley Cup.

“Our cake will not look like that,” a laugh came out of me.

“What?! Why not?” he replied.

“… No,” I shook my head.

“But…” he started as I got up. He’s been looking into this too much now. I think he needs a break… “Honey!” he kept going, but laughter cracked in his voice.

“I’m going to make dinner. You keep searching for cake ideas,” was my response.

“I already found the one I want!” he stuck with it, but it was obvious that he was just teasing me now.

“But if you win the Cup, why would you want a cake like that?”

“So I can have my cake and eat it too…” his face was all lit up with delight. He seemed so pleased with himself on that comment.

“Oh, Jonny,” I shook my head, trying to keep the smile away, but it won the battle.

While I moved about the kitchen, he eventually came and sat at the island. He’d look up different things and comment on what he thought would be nice for our wedding. So maybe it wasn’t setting anything into stone, but… we’re beginning to think about it and talk… together! That’s the biggest thing. And his attention seems to be away from how Patrick is going to treat Katie. I think everything will be fine with those too. Who knows? Maybe a nice girl like Katie is all that the boy needs to settle him down a bit…
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment???