Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

So Good so Far

Katie never called me back until the morning! I was nearly dying from the suspense. From her tone though, I could only assume that it all went well. She told me that we’d talk if I came to the arena early.

I waited around all day! I left the office early and didn’t even bother dialing Jonathan afterwards. I needed to know what happened! Honestly, I doubted Jon would know anything anyway. Katie and Patrick is a touchy subject around him, so I was careful to say anything around him this morning. I mean… it’s kind of cute, but… he could lighten up a bit…

When I arrived at the United Center, I hurried inside in search of my sister. Expecting her to be in the trainer’s room, I clicked my heels in that direction. That’s exactly where I found her too… With my hubby to be.

“What’s wrong with him now?” I had to tease.

“Knocked a tooth out…” he said and glanced over at me with a straight face.

“What?” I felt my eyes grow wide.

“He’s fine,” Katie was quick to jump in, “He’s trying to get deets on my night last night.”

“Why would you tease about your teeth?! We have a photo session for our invitations in two weeks!” I couldn’t hold in.

“Just to see your reaction,” he smirked as he walked over to kiss my cheek.

“Rude!” I couldn’t help but giggle.

He chuckled and said he needed to go into the locker room. As he passed, I made sure to send a smack to his backside. In reply, he looked over his shoulder to smirk at me.

“You two,” Katie rolled her eyes at me.

“We’re not here to talk about us! I want to know about you and Patrick!” I was quick to get to the point.

“It wasn’t anything special…” she tried to push it off, but the pink that flushed across her cheeks told me otherwise!

After poking at her for a few moments, she gave me the details… and it was the most adorable thing I have ever heard. I nearly squealed from the little things he did for her. By the time she was done telling me everything, she had the biggest smile on her face and was beaming with happiness.

“… You’re in love,” was the first thing out of my mouth.

“I am not!” she was quick to throw back.

“You are and it’s the cutest thing I’ve ever seen,” I added.

“Shut up, Ky,” she muttered, but her smile still curled at the corners of her lips and she turned to do something… just to busy herself, I’m sure. “Everything has to go slow though,” she added.

“You just move at a pace that’s comfortable for you,” I told her.

She nodded her head then. She knew this, but hearing me say it seemed to soothe her in a way. The tension in her shoulders quickly faded away. With her back still towards to me, I went over and put a hand on her back, rubbing it softly. She turned her head to show off her smile and I had to pull her in for a hug.

“I’m happy for you though,” I voiced to her.

“He seems really great,” she added.

“As long as he’s good to you, I don’t have any problems.”

“So good so far.”

I gave her another smile, so happy to see her so… well and glowing and just seeming so much better than she had been months prior.

Knowing she had some work to do, I told her I’d leave her to it and left the room. Just as I passed the doorframe, something came flying at me and hit me right on the top of the head. A wail of pain came out of me as both of my hands went to the spot. Just a handful of seconds after, Jon came running up to me. One of his arms quickly wrapped me up and the other brought his hand to gently rest on top of mine.

“I am so sorry,” he hurried to get out.

“What the hell?!” I shot at him as it all sat in.

“He did it!” someone shouted from behind us. I didn’t know who it was… but it sounded like Kaner…

“I hit the ball a little too hard…” I heard him cringe playfully, referring to the soccer ball that most of them kick around in their pre-game preparation.

“A little too hard…” I muttered and sent him a look. “I’m probably concussed!” I had to poke.

“I’m so sorry, baby,” he cracked a smile, catching on to my taunting tone.

I put on my own smile to assure him that everything was ok. It hurt, but… I didn’t see stars, so I’ll go on.

“Is my assistance needed?” Katie poked her head out.

“No,” I assured her through a giggle.

“Yes! I think I pulled a groin!” Patrick hurried past Jonny and I to disappear into the room.

Katie rolled her eyes before she turned around… and closed the door behind her. I let out another laugh. Love birds…

“So… everything… go good with them last night?” Jon asked softly.

“… Patrick didn’t bring it up?” I asked first.

“He said it went fine,” he shrugged.

“They’re going slow, papa bear. You don’t have to worry about anything,” I teased and patted his chest.

“Papa bear…” he grumbled.

Another giggle came out of me from his reaction. Before anything else could be said, I wished him a good game along with the handful of players that were scattered around the hall. With all the emotions swirling around everyone tonight, I was hopeful the Blackhawks would pull off a win tonight and that train of positivity would continue on for days to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)

Comment??