Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

It's Just Kaner

“Don’t do anything stupid. He’s actually excited to meet you,” I told her as we waited for him to come out of the dressing room.

A goofy grin had already curled across her lips, telling me that she was already up to no good… and there was no changing her mind. This could get wiry…

Once he came out moments later, he saw that I was standing with someone and put on a big smile, knowing it was my sister. Thankfully, there wasn’t anything mischievous about this. Katie on the other hand… She was up to something.

“Katie this is Jonathan...” I began to introduce the two.

“Nice to meet you,” Jon put on a smile and went in for a hug.

Katie stayed stiff and barely put her arms around him. It made me roll my eyes. This was what she was up to… keeping that military poise.

“You too,” she replied as she stood up straight and adjusted her shirt as if it had gotten out of place from his embrace.

A look of worry came over Jon’s face then as if he thought he offended her. I reached out and cupped my hand around the inner part of his arm, rubbing it over his sweatshirt. It didn’t do much to ease him, but it was worth a shot.

“So… we doing dinner tonight?” he spoke next.

“Um…” I was at a lost for words. I didn’t expect that to leave his mouth! I looked over at him to see that he had a look of innocence staring back at me. I hadn’t anticipated this dinner coming so soon.

“If you’re offering…” Katie spoke, changing her tone rather quickly… and then shot a look at me, knowing that I was so caught off guard by everything at this point.

“Well, there’s no game tonight…” Jon pondered and then glanced over at me.

“How’s 7?” Katie questioned and Jon went on to agree before I could even caught up to what was going on..

Before any more surprises could come my way, I told Jon I would take Katie back to her place to get ready. Before I got too far, Jon put his arm around my shoulders and pulled me into him. He acted like he planted a soft kiss to the top of my head, but he whispered that… he invited Kaner.

“Jonathan!” I nearly gasped. Katie told me not to do this to her!

“What?!” he looked back at me with a laughing smile.

“You can’t do that!” I kept going, whispering loudly so Katie couldn’t hear from the few feet away that she was.

“But I already did…” that innocence was back again.

“Katie’s going to hate me!” I let it out.

“Why?”

“Because we were talking about it over lunch and she didn’t seem to like the idea…”

“What? Of going to dinner?” he cut in while his brow crinkled.

“No! Of you bringing someone with us to dinner!”

“It’ll be fine,” he waved it off. “It’s just Kaner…”

All I could do was stare back at him with a look of speechlessness. I… had no words right now.

“I love you,” he grinned brightly before kissing my cheek.

I huffed and turned to face Katie. She cooed at us teasingly at how cute we were, apparently not hearing any part of that conversation. I had feeling that comment would taken back after her little surprise tonight…
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment??