Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

Missing Her Bae

“Remind me again why exactly you have to go dress shopping… for a rehearsal dinner?” Jonny questioned as he leaned his frame against the counter in the bathroom where I was giving my makeup a once over.

“Because I need something nice…”

“You already own so many nice things,” he cut me off.

“Nice to please your parents…” I finished since he didn’t give me the chance to before.

“Oh my god,” he rolled his eyes and tried to hold in his laughter.

“They hate me. I’m not going to give them more of a reason to,” I rattled off.

He started bickering with me, but I began going towards the front door. Someone was knocking on it. I knew it was my sister since she had texted me to say she was on her way. Once I swung the door opened, she was standing there smiling at me. Before she stepped inside, we shared a tight hug… and then Jon came over and greeted her the same way. Awww!

I feel like ever since her and Patrick really got their relationship going, we’ve just been so much better. I don’t worry about her as much; especially since she’s practically living with Kaner now. She has someone there for her that’s going to protect her and make sure she’s doing well. Of course we do things together all the time as well. Patrick makes her happy though. And a happy Katie leads to her other relationships being happy.

“Jonny looks flustered. What’s going on?” she had to ask, glancing between the two of us.

“It’s nothing,” I tried to wave it off.

“… Patrick said practice went ok, so why are you like this?” she wrinkled her brow towards him.

“Your sister,” was Jonny’s comment.

“He just won’t accept the fact that his parents don’t like me,” I clarified for her.

“But they do…” he stepped in.

“In-laws never like you, Jonny,” Katie told him.

“Oh, so your parents don’t like me?” he glanced between Katie and I as he asked.

“Wellllllll…” Katie dragged out the word.

“Seriously?! They don’t?” Jonathan seemed so shocked… and I couldn’t keep from laughing.

“They love you, honey,” I cooed at him.

He huffed and shuffled his feet towards the living room, giving up with this conversation. Through a light chuckle, I told him that I would be back later. Katie led the way down to her car. Even though this was just a dinner rehearsal dress-shopping trip, I was still excited. Shopping with my sister in general is one of my favorite things.

“You guys are so lucky that you planned your wedding far enough out just in case the Blackhawks made it to the finals,” Katie began once we were inside our first store.

“The fact that we even got it fully planned is an accomplishment in itself…” I laughed… but seriously. I don’t know how we pulled all of this off. Between Jon’s occasional disconnection, a trip to Sochi, the ups and downs of a long NHL season, and now post-season, I’m constantly amazed that Jonny and I got this done.

“Now, they just need to win everything and you’ll have a perfect wedding,” she taunted.

“I told Jonny if they lost, he can’t be pouty…”

“But he will be…” she laughed. “It would be pretty awesome to have the cup as the centerpiece of your wedding though…” she added.

“Jonny would want his first dance be with it instead of me,” I told her. She laughed at my comment… but I was serious. It would probably happen…

After this exchanged, I asked her about her and Patrick. Of course she told me cute little things that they’ve done. In the beginning, I wasn’t too sure how well Patrick would be to her. But they just seem like the cutest couple. It warms my heart so much to see her this happy.

“Hey! There’s a camo dress!” I squealed and pulled it out to show her. You know… her military past… Camo. Seemed fitting.

“It’s hideous. Put it back,” she rolled her eyes.

“Oh, come on. It’s perfect for you.”

She glanced at me, seeming annoyed with what I had suggested. Obviously, I wasn’t serious about it… But she got really worked up about it in a short amount of time. Shrugging, I put the hanger back on the rack and went back on my search.

After this, she seemed… rather quiet. Both of us found a nice dress to wear, but she still seemed kind… shut off. We talked here and there. It wasn’t the same though. On the drive home, I chalked it up as her being tired… or missing Patrick. My best guess was that she was missing her bae. Hopefully, she’ll go to her Patty and he’ll make her feel all better.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cranked this out before bed. *pats self on back* hahaha