Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

It's Sickening

“So, we have a championship, a wedding, and an engagement to celebrate tonight!” Jonny shouted from the front of the bus that was transporting everyone to an after party… I was assuming it was going to be one of many.

The party scene wasn’t my thing normally. I was going to be the one that made sure the boys didn’t get into too much trouble… or at least Jon. While he was still barking out his praise to his team, I glanced over at Katie. She had this huge smile on her face while she looked down at her hand.

I haven’t said anything to her yet other than congratulations after the propsal happened… but I was so happy for her and Patrick… a little shocked that it actually happened when Jon said not to worry about it. But still so, so happy for those two. It had been such a long season. I couldn’t imagine it ending any other way.

To be honest, the night was… such a blur. I told myself I wasn’t going to drink too much… and make sure Jon got home all right. But each time my glass started to become empty, someone was refilling it. I hate to say that… I don’t know how I ended up in bed the following morning… or um… afternoon.

Once my way too blurry vision finally focused, I sat up… and instantly regretted it. A groan came out of me as I leaned forward until my head was in my hands. From the bed next to me, Jon went on to let out his own grunt.

“No more parties, Jonny,” I muttered.

“Deal,” he muttered; his voice muffled from being pressed against his pillow. I knew that was a complete lie though…

Gradually, I lay back down. Once I was in place, Jon slowly scooted over and nuzzled against my shoulder. A small smile came over me while my hand came up to run through his hair. Neither of us moved for the longest time. The only reason that we did… was because my phone rang. It was resting on the table beside the bed. When I reached for it, Jonathan groaned loudly.

“Yeah?” I answered, cringing from hearing how horsed my voice was.

“Good morning,” Katie giggled on the other end.

“Why is she so cheery?” Jonny grumbled.

“Why are you so hungover?” was her reply.

He muttered something that I couldn’t make out. Even though my head was pounding, I still giggled.

“Looks like someone controlled themselves last night,” I changed the subject.

“Someone had to look out for all of you…” she countered.

“How’s Patty?” I asked her.

“Still sleeping… and I’m so bored,” she complained.

“Jonny and I just woke up,” I informed her.

After this, she taunted Jonathan and I about how lame we were. I got her off the subject by talking to her about her engagement… and how we had a full blown over the top wedding to plan once Jonny and I got back from our honeymoon. From her tone, I could tell that she was rolling her eyes. She’s not much of a flashy person. As I went into detail about it more and more, she told me that she had to go. With our conversation ending, I put the phone back on the table and turned my attention back to Jonny.

“I thought you told me Patrick didn’t have a ring…” I brought up and began to rub his back over his thin shirt.

“He told me he didn’t,” was his response.

“He lied to you…” I taunted.

“He did. That was mean,” I caught him cracking a smile. “I’m… happy for them though,” he added.

“Me too,” I agreed.

“Really?” he seemed surprised… so surprised that he lifted his head to glance up at me.

“Yeah,” my smile came over me, “I feel like… they kind of balance each other out really well. And they’re in looooove,” I finished with a giggle.

“So in love that it’s sickening…” he muttered, but it was in a playful tone.

My smile came back over me as my fingers ruffled up his hair. He flinched a bit, letting me know that it hurt his head. To try and make it better, I pressed a kiss to his forehead. His body relaxed then. Slowly, he seemed to be drifting off to sleep.

I wanted to get up and try and make a somewhat productive day… but I couldn’t. Each time I glanced down at Jon, he just seemed so comfortable. I wouldn’t let myself disturb him. Whenever I’d glance down at him, all I could think of was what was about to happen in a few days. This man was suddenly going to be my husband… and after this long journey, I couldn’t wait to start the next chapter of my life with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Saaaaaappy lame chapter