Sequel: Like a Damaged Nerve

The Sailor and the Hawk

I'm a Scorpio

I told Ky that I would meet her and Jon at the restaurant later that night. I took my time showering and getting ready. My roommate came in while I was getting ready, telling me about how much she hated swabbing the deck and that she had to go to her watch shift. She quickly left the barracks after that. I finished getting ready, spraying a little perfume and checking myself one last time in the mirror. The large, roughly circular shaped scar on my shoulder seemed more red and aggressive than usual. I shifted the sleeves of my dress to cover it and sighed, straightening myself up and grabbing a light jacket, keys and purse, then heading down and out to my car.

I arrived about half an hour early and went right to the bar, settling in and ordering a whiskey on rocks. I figured I could nurse it while I waited for them. I pushed some stray hair behind my ear and watched the people around me. All suits and nice dresses, gossiping about each other and the stock market. Not something I was used to, that's for sure. I felt someone appear next to me and order a scotch and leaned against the bar. I could see a dress shirt and suit jacket over an arm so it was definitely a man. I could feel him staring at me.

“Waiting for your date?” The man asked me, his voice smooth like the whiskey and scotch we were drinking. I glanced over at him, looking him up and down quickly.

“No....” I replied, sipping my drink slowly. He was now actually looking at me, arms folded on the bar top and swirling the scotch in his glass.

“So, you mean to tell me, that a beautiful woman like you is just here for kicks?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. I turned a little to look at him better. He was blond, the ends curling just slightly. Like if his hair were longer, it would be curly and wild. He had blue eyes and lips that curled with every word. He also had big hands, they looked beat up and rough, like he worked them to death everyday.

“I'm waiting for someone, yes, but not a date.” I said, tilting my head slightly at him. He wasn't bad looking, hell, he was actually really hot. But he oozed that slick, player attitude. It wasn't any wonder, just by looking at him. He easily catches the women he sets his sights on. The dress shirt is fitted perfectly to his muscular torso and biceps. It was a little dark but I could tell he had a strong lower body as well. Not bad at all...

“Mind if I keep you company while we both wait for our someones?” he asked, now turning his body to face mine. I tried to hide my grin and gave up and just nodded, letting him take the seat next to mine. He took up a lot of space, like he could easily block out this crowd with just his shoulders alone.

“I hope you aren't waiting for a date. That would make a very bad first impression.” I said, raising an eyebrow at him slightly. He chuckled and shook his head, smiling at me.

“I'm Patrick. I'm not waiting for a date and I'm a Scorpio.” he teased, holding his hand out to me. I straightened myself up and took his hand carefully, shaking it.

“Katie, Gemini.” I replied, making him smile even more. He took a sip of his drink and I knew he was looking me over the rim of his glass. I didn't expect any less from a guy like him.

“That's a harsh scar. Is there a story with that one?” he asked, touching it lightly before adjusting my strap over it. I took a sip of my drink, my mind processing that he had just touched me and then, in a weird gentlemanly act, adjusting my dress for me.

“I was shot in Afghanistan.” I said bluntly, looking over at him. His smile dropped instantly and he looked a little stunned as he recovered.

“Solider?” he asked, leaning towards me now.

“No, sailor.” I replied, noticing my whiskey was depleting quicker than I thought. That, or this half hour was going by quicker than expected.

“Wow.....didn't know sailor's could be this beautiful. Thank you, for your service.” he said. I tried not to wince when he thanked me but he noticed.

“Sorry, I appreciate it, I just....hear it a lot.” I said, shrugging slightly. He nodded and carefully placed his hand on mine, wrapping his fingers around my palm. Then I heard my name and then a male voice yelling Patrick's. We both turned around and my eyes widened slightly when I realized just who I had been talking to for the past half hour.
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried to keep the naval lingo to the bare minimum here :)

Katie