Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

Reviewing Reality

We decided to tell no one about this. It would be our own little secret. But regardless of how much we both wanted to keep the secret. We both agreed that we still needed to tell Ollie that I could speak. Mike and Tré had miraculously disappeared again. Which gave me the instinct that they just came and went as they pleased. We sat on the sofa. Watching some sitcom comedy on the bulky tv balanced on the too small stand near the front window.
Billie was practically choking me with all the tea. He was reading through all of his mothers doctor books for cures and ways to improve speech. Apparently, this was the best option until his mom gets home.
I swear I've drank five cups of varying flavored tea. With the flavors id already done, it was peppermint, green tea. Spearmint, an bitter flavored floral tea and some really sweet strawberry flavored kind. And after that one I drank two more cups of it. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to.
We were almost identical in our slouch. Leaning back on the couch. Feet on the coffee table. Ankles crossed. I guess we were still sitting like that when Ollie got back and got an good look at our damp clothes. Billie had been so busy forcing tea down my throat I'd all but forgotten the icy rain that was just drizzling out now. An few stray drops falling from the sky. And fountains worth of then pouring from the gutter on the roof.
She looked down at us with an skeptical expression that we'd done anything productful being home and wet.
“So how was your day?” Billie asked Ollie sweetly. Smiling up at her like an little kid. Taking her gaze away from us.
She stuttered at first then turned to lug two brown paper bags of groceries into the kitchen. Calling “It was fine. About the same as any day.” over her shoulder. She laughed and reappeared in the doorway to the kitchen.
“So what 'productive' things did you two do today?”
Such an motherly question.
“Whatsername can speak.” Billie said calmly. Smiling between her and me.
“Yep.” I said. My voice still cracked but was getting better.
Her expression was surprised and she walked over and sat on the edge of the couch.
“Then what's your name.?”
I looked down in frustration. “I still can't remember that. But when I do, you two will be the first to know.”
She smiled and patted my soggy shirt “That's great.”
Billie sighed “Tré and Mike are going to be upset that they'll have to find another charades player.” he grinned.
I leaned back “They will survive.”
Billie laughed and nodded “Yeah, they will.”
The news for California was on. A few short stories here and there. Then one. It really caught my eye. Do you know why? 
Because it was me.
The news man declared that an patient had escaped from the East Bay Medical Center last Sunday. And are still looking for her, or otherwise, her corpse.
Well here it is. Come and get it. I'll be ready to fight for my skin you dirty bastards.
Ollie and Billie watched quietly with no comment.
“But your still alive.” Billie said turning to me.
“That's the best news I've heard about my condition.” I laughed. Hugging Billie. Ollie leaned in and joined our familyish group hug.

After dinner, I went to my room for some alone time. I think I've suppressed enough thoughts and kept to myself. I'm trying to live as normally as I possibly can without killing myself with the monster that's inside of me.
There were an million things to think about tonight. But one thing came through clearly. I went to the back porch and called for Checker. Who was chilling in his dog hut. He came to me. Giving me an odd look when I spoke, and my voice broke. 
I patted his head and picked him up, carrying him into the house. His paws were muddy. So I snagged a few paper towels from the kitchen cabinet before sneaking off to my room again. 
He laid on my purple bedspread. Looked at me and cocked his head. I looked out the window walls to the thinning California in the west. Bleaching the lavender walls bright orange for a bit. I cleared my throat, let an few words escape. One thing is that I felt like singing. And that was incredibly odd because I've only heard an handful of songs since my awareness.
“I can see, the world around me. Bright and though I can still dream, I cannot remember the past. But that's fine for me now. I'm happier now than ever and cannot let you go.” I sung softly under my breath in an low tone. I guess I made that one up on my own. Not to shabby I suppose. I turned to Checker for an second opinion. He panted and looked at me with his bright brown eyes.
“What'd you think?” I asked him, patting his head.
He rolled over.
I scoffed and laid back looking up at the white ceiling. It was too early and I was too energetic to sleep. Billie was hanging with Ollie, and I think I've had well over my fill of outdoors today. 
There was nothing left I cloud do. It was only six thirty. I looked over onto the desk. Seeing an notebook and pen. I went over and picked it up. Flipping through the hundred blank pages. This seemed like an prime time to right down reality: so I can get an good look at who I am and what I know. I flicked on the light and sat in the middle of the bed. Finding a page I saw fit.
I swallowed and began.
My name is, well I don't really know. But I've been given the nickname Whatsername.
My age: ???
Where I come from, I can't say.
Memories: um not any from my past life.
Cause: Amnesia and doctors poking at me.
Current life: I live with Ollie and Billie Joe Armstrong in Rodeo California.
Ollie works at Rod's Hickory Pit in Vallejo California. I attended one of Sweet Children's concerts there. It's how we all met.
I have an black and white border collie named Checker. An gift from Billie Joe, my best friend.
He has two other friends Tré Cool and Mike. Who practically lives here.
I might be better off not remembering the past. Either way. I love it here and I'm never gonna leave. But what they don't know about me is how serious this condition is. They don't even know the beginning.

Turns out I can still write and read. But my words are hardly legible. But why do I care as long as I could read it, I'm good.
It took me an half hour just to get that far. It was seven fifteen sometime. My mind locked firmly in the afternoon. The rain kiss. Rain fell from the sky veiling us in what may be worlds most romantic first kiss. The best part was it was just us on the empty street. There were no obsessive fangirls around because Billie was the most famous thing in California. Even though he isn't right now, maybe someday. I turned off the light and changed into some pajama shorts and an t shirt.
I curled up next to Checkers. Hugging him into unconsciousness. But the second I heard my door crack open. My eyes flashed open like lightening. My back was to the door. I cloud hear very clearly, someone entering. The silent sound of thr carpet being squished down.
The soft pressure of the edge of the mattress behind me going down. Sinking as someone sat down. I closed my eyes and relaxed quickly. An hand brushed an strand of hair off my cheek and tucked it behind my ear.
“Good night Whatsername.” he whispered softly. I breathed slowly. Rejecting the feeling in my heart to roll over and turn toward him. To hug him and promise him to stay forever. But really, I think I've made enough promises. Especially for today. So let's just sleep, for tonight. 
I felt an tear fall from the corner of my eye and drop off my cheek when he whispered into my ear “I was never happier then when I first saw you, wearing my mom's too big clothes. I just never believed this was the ending to all of it.”
I bit my lip “It's not the end.”
“Your awake.” he sounded unsurprised.
I nodded slightly.
“And you brought in the mutt.” he laughed quietly, an enchanting laugh. He patted Checker's head lightly.
I laughed too. “I can't lie to you Billie.” I rolled over to face him “I was pretty happy too.”
He grinned and ducked to kiss my forehead.
“Night.” he murmured, rising from the bed.
“Good night Billie.” I said before rolling back over to stare out the window. The moon shining in an alter above all of California. The stars, shining slightly. 
I could hear Billie's soft singing voice on the other side of the wall as he wrote more songs.
I closed my eyes and listened to him sing up the stars for me.