Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

Mike

I was in shock. But I had to be sure. I turned to talk to Jason.
“Hey, do you know who those people are?” I asked.
He looked up from the back of an album he'd been looking at. He nodded in understandment.
“Yeah, that's Dave and Connie Stewart. They own this place. And their kids, Embry and Adeline Stewart.”
My eyes widened and I tried to hide it.
“How old is Adeline?” I asked hesitantly.
He shook his head and laughed “I swear I don't know these days. That girl matures a little bit every day. I haven't seen her in two weeks. Guess she went on vacation with her parents after all.” he shrugged
“Adeline is about 17. Graduates next year. She's going to collage for musical engineering. Or at least thats what it was a few days ago, it changes every day.” he laughed and turned to help an customer.
I looked up at the picture once more. Could this really be me? It'd explain why Jason hadn't seen me in a while. I apparently worked here at the record store.
But if Billie is always in here, how come he didn't recognize me when we met? It completely eluded me. I turned away from the counter. But not without tossing one last long glance at the picture. I am Adeline, what a odd name though. I had apparently worked here. But if I and that girl in the picture are one of the same, how come Jason didn't recognize me? I know my hair is way shorter now and stuff but still. How could he not? I mean... Jason talks of her as if they are old friends. Who knows? I have no more answers. But I suppose if I ever need another insight, ill have to come talk to Jason. 
I could have jumped a mile when Billie finally tapped me on my shoulder out of my thinking phase. So of course I yelped. He chuckled and apologized and towed me along to the counter so he could pay for his stuff. That also gave me the chance to spare another look at the haunting picture.
I shrugged it off and followed Billie out the front door with a chime that had sounded when he opened it.  
I honestly think Billie was a tad bit annoyed with me though. I was so lost in my thoughts on the walk back that I'd miss every question he'd ask me and then respond with “What?” he'd smile it off every time but I still think it annoyed him. 
We reached his curb. It was very familiar to me now. We walked up the driveway. We went inside where the air conditioner had chilled the air. Ollie had gone grocery shopping according to Tré. Who sat on the couch in the living room watching Bugs Bunny. I laughed and went to my room where I found Checkers napping on the floor. In a stream of sunlight that came through the big window. He hadn't even noticed my enterance until I sunk down next to him.
I scratched his head absentmindedly, staring out at the curb we had just returned on. The sun coming into the room in a smooth yellow stream without any clouds in the sky to blot it all out. There hadn't been many cloudy or stormy days in California as far as I know. I looked around the room. Sure I could remember a few things about myself, like that my name was Adeline, but still... I don't know how old I am, what kind of accident id been in to loose my memory. I don't know who I was, and if I'm right about having a relation to the girl who apparently worked at the record store that Billie was so fond of, maybe I'm not as far off as I am assuming.

I looked out the window again, very much wishing I wasn't alone at that very second. Of course I had checkers, but still. And I couldn't go out seeking Billie's company because I'd probably come off as clingy.

I decided what to do and hopped to my feet and exited my room, headed down the hall where Billie and Tré sat watching TV absentmindedly. Billie looked up apron my arrival.

“There you are.” he grinned cheekily.

I smiled back “Yes, Uh.. I was wondering where Mike is.”

A look of confusion crossed his face for the briefest second. Mike had been just as hostile towards me when I came as Billie had. And I hadn't had much relation to him since then besides becoming 'Witness Buddies' at Allison and Kim's birthday party and our occasional game of charades. So I clearly understood his confusion of my question, because truth be told, I didn't even know why I was searching him out myself.

He stuttered “Well uh... He's, he's probably out in the garage... If you are looking for him...” he watched me warily.

I nodded once “Okay.”

I headed out the front door. I had passed the Armstrong's garage on a handful of occasions while going on walks with Billie. But before I even rounded the corner of the trailer house, I heard the deep rumble of Mike's bass echoing from the small practice amp in the garage.

I leaned against the wall of the house and watched him for a moment. Not exactly recognizing the rhythm for the song he was playing but appreciating it anyways. Mike looked up for merely a glance and saw me. Silencing the four strings awkwardly. I grinned and shrugged away from the wall and walked towards him until I stood in the shadows of the garage roof.
He waved briefly before lifting his strap over his head and dangling the bass in the air in front of him.

“You don't have to stop playing just because I'm here.” I chided him playfully. Dropping down onto a ratty old couch shoved against the wall. I looked up at him expectantly. Waiting for him to either set aside the bass and brush off my comment or pull the strap back over his head and commence playing. He looked down at me warily. And I could understand why, we hadn't ever shared a official conversation before. So it was kind of a awkward silence that was passing between us.

So he sat down beside me on the other end of the couch and laid the orange and black bass flat across his lap. I looked down at it for a moment. It had some slight resemblance to Billie's Blue.
Of course it had black electrical tape criss crossed across it in various places. The orange paint was chipping in some places, and in the light coming through the garage door, I could see a sliver like crack running through the black pick guard. 
I leaned back against the couch and looked around the space. It was a lot like any other garage I suppose. Cardboard boxes lined the walls. There was a tall wooden door in the corner that led into the kitchen of the house. Tré's drum set was set up in the corner and even without all this stuff in here I was certain you would not be able to park a car in here.

We both looked up into the blinding light of the yard to see Billie and Tré walking towards us. A smirk on Billie's face and a contagious grin on Tré's.
Their converse skidded across the pebbles on the concrete floor as they came to a stop a few feet away.

“What goes on?” Tré grinned casually, leaning up against the wall.

I shrugged. There wasn't really anything to say or anything going on. Mike had fallen real quiet 

Billie laughed suddenly and I looked to him in confusion.

“Well, this day isn't going to plan itself. Let's go to the beach.” he declared.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I caught up to the highest point I'd written and am back to actually writing chapters for this one. I've started too many stories on here (hehe) and figured I should finish up a few. Though I feel this one is fad from done, every little chapter counts! I encourage your comments!