Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

Breaking Points

We had eventually run out of time together under the willow in the meadow. So we sluggishly got up and headed for home. We screwed around a lot on the walk back though, playing the shoving game on the way back and even orchestrated our own little theme song on the walk back to Billie's street.

We walked through the front doors, past the empty garage. Inside I heard low arguing and we entered the kitchen to see Ollie with a stern expression on her face and her eyes on Tré and Mike.

“What's up?” Billie asked warily, looking between everyone.

Ollie ran a frustrated hand down her face “Billie, can you please convince your friends that they should go home for tonight?”

Billie's jaw flexed “What's wrong with them? Not good enough to meet your scumbag boyfr— ouch!” he cried out and rubbed his elbow where I'd pinched him. I know how close he was with his friends, but he already said that he'd put his best foot forward to make it a good night. As good of one as he could anyways.

Ollie glared at her son. She had already decoded what he was going to say.
“Billie. Now.” she said it like she wanted him to put the dog out.

Billie sighed. He didn't want to fight wit his mom, I could see it in his eyes. But he wanted to kick his friends out even worse.

“Mike. Tré. Can I speak to you in the living room?” he asked nonchalantly.

They nodded stiffly and followed him out of the kitchen into the living room where we all stood together in a tense little circle.
“Dude don't worry about it. Well go, you can have your family dinner and we'll be back bright and early tomorrow morning!” Mike chirped while tapping on the tip of Billie's nose.

Billie began to protest but they silenced him, cut him a wave and ducked out the front door. The house felt really empty without their presence. I felt the difference immediately. So did Billie. He stiffened next to me.

“Bill, can you help me with dinner?” Ollie called from the kit hen.

He rolled his eyes, muttering “You mean 'can you poison Brad' right?” under his breath as he swept into the kitchen. Ollie called to me to go get on some nice clothes and to spiff up the living room for our guests. I muttered a similar thing under my breath as Billie had.

I locked my bedroom door and patted Checkers head before going to the small closet and searching for a dress or something. Honestly I'd feel a lot better in some jeans or something. So I found a nice black tank top with some grey jeans. I changed into those instead, and walked out into the living room and vacuumed and cleared the coffee table. Carrying in cups and other dishes that had been on if and did the dishes too while Ollie prepared a roast for dinner and had busied Billie with dicing vegetables for a salad.

After I finished drying the last plate and set it back in the cupboard, the doorbell rang and my heart was in my throat. I stood there holding my breath the whole while while Billie quickly rinsed off his hands and went to open the door at his mothers request. I heard unfamiliar voices, and as I payed close attention, he was laughing with the one he had declared to be Alan.

“Left the wife at home to her book club.” he laughed. His voice was similar to Billie's. Deeper though, I finally let out my gust of nervous air before looking around the kitchen anxiously for something to busy myself with.

“Well I'm happy you came 'cuz well, I haven't been very happy with moms choices lately.” Billie said more quietly. Then they entered the kitchen and I could have leapt a mile.

He was taller than Billie. Had chocolate brown hair, the same green eyes that Billie and Ollie shared, he was a lean, muscular build. He had those deep, penetrating eyes that Billie has. Crap, he'll see right through me. 

We met eyes for the briefest of seconds, I dropped my gaze first like I was ashamed for having looked.
Stupid Adeline...

I peeked up at him. He laughed with Billie before he glanced over at me again and asked Billie about me.

“This is Adeline. My pride and joy.” he gushed proudly while wrapping an arm tightly over my shoulders and pressing a kiss to my temple. I blushed a dark red at that one. Alan laughed and took a seat at the table.

“Oh hang on, Ollie told me to do something a little bot ago.” Billie excused himself and ran out the front door. And I, I was left in the awkward silence between me and Alan. Billie's half brother who was way older than him.

“Take a seat.” he gestured cooly to the chair across from him. Shit. He wants to share one of those 'don't break my brothers heart' lectures with me...

I obeyed and sat down across from him. Warily meeting his bright green eyes that were full of unmet judgement. I cleared my throat to get the conversation going so we could wrap up the awkwardness before Billie returned from whatever little chore Ollie had assigned him to do. I guess she figures that if she can keep him busy, he won't have time to mope about who is coming over to tonight.

“Pride and joy eh?” he chuckled while reaching out and picking up the pepper shaker from the center of the now table cloth clad table.

I merely nodded “I'd probably be dead without him.” I blurted out and instantly regretted it.

He raised his eyebrows with false surprise “Really now? Your one of the suicidal, clingy chicks aren't you?” he laughed without humor. Apparently no one told him about my real background...

“No.” I almost growled. Then I cleared my throat again. Sat up straighter and said in a calmer tone “I'm an escapade from the hospital suffering memory loss. I ran away while I was hyped up on drugs and got lost. I ran into Ollie and wha la! I'm here.” I finished on edge.

His eyes darkened for a moment then he burst out laughing. Actually laughing! I didn't think it was funny at all...
“Billie never once told me you were so good at keeping a straight face while telling jokes! Ha, no wonder he likes you!” he pointed at me while I began to feel like a wounded animal waiting for the finishing bullet. If that ever will come.

“But it's true...” I narrowed my eyes at him.

“What's true?” the joyous Billie strutted into the kitchen. Washing off his hands in the kitchen sink before drying them on a paper towel and turning to face our tense little conversation.

“Adeline here is so hilarious Bill, why didn't you tell me? She says she escaped from a hospital. A hospital! Of all places.” he was laughing again. And Billie shot me a concerned look. Apparently he hadn't wanted his whole family to know about my background. Then they look at you like you escaped an asylum or something...

“Hmm Alan?”

“Yeahp little bro?” Alan beamed at his brother for his name of choice.

“A word please.” Billie gestured for him to follow him into the living room. Alan casted a look over his shoulder. Taking a last glance at me before he disappeared into the living room.

I heard low muttering and whispering. Though Billie should know by now that he has nothing to hide from me. But maybe he's just doing it for the sake of his brothers embarrassment.
They came back in a moment later, and as I predicted, Alan wore a guarded expression as he cautiously took back his seat across from me while Billie sat at the head of the table with his arms crossed patiently atop it while surveying our conversation now.

“So...” Alan began awkwardly. Now avoiding all contact of which before, he had been greedy to get.
“You're... You're an hospital escapee?” he asked conversationally.

I merely nodded while wearing a guarded expression. His however was curious, but ashamed. For having claimed I was joking about where I'd lived prior to the Armstrong Hotel. I wouldn't cut glares at him all night though. Cause really, how many people do you meet on a daily basis that say they are hospital escapees? 
None, and if you do, they are the ones who are faking. So I can't blame him and poke jokes at him all night. I stood up and excused myself from the room to let just Billie have a one on one talk with hid brother.
I stood in the living room looking out the big front windows, it was still warm and breezeless of course. But the skies former light blue was darkening until it had a violet hue and the sun was beginning to sit. 
Then there was a knock on the door and my mind went blank. I stuttered and tripped over my own feet as I went towards the door. I opened it up wide and saw three women, Anna, Marci and Hollie I'm guessing. Though I'd never be able to figure out which was which just by looking at them. 
I had no time to think because I was bombarded with hugs Abd kisses on the cheek.

“You must be Adeline!” a tall girl with long blond hair declared.
“Bill has told up eons of information about you; I'm Marci by the way.”

She held her hand out politely and I shook it firmly. I was also introduced to Anna and Hollie. Anna was the shortest. About Billie's height, she had brown hair almost the same color of Alan's. She also had those piercing green eyes. 
Hollie was in-between Anna and Marci for height. She was sort of model like, wore a red dress tank over black jeans. She had black hair, probably dyed, pulled back in a loose bun with light aqua colored eyes. Slightly blue, slightly green. She was actually strikingly beautiful.

Billie strutted into the living room then, watching me try to make conversation with the three strangers, he stepped in then and guided me away from their group and assured me, once again, that I'd be fine. Though so far, I did like his siblings, they all just struck me as really outgoing. Which in comparison to Billie's attitude that I'd thought was crazy, made him look like worlds calmest cat.

I smiled back at the girls who were gossiping, when Hollie slipped away from the group to come hang with us.

“Hey Hollie.” Billie greeted while giving her a one armed hug while his other arm was still wrapped around my waist. I just smiled as convincingly as I could and allowed my eyes to flit down to my shoes. They made small talk before I was shocked to hear what came out of Hollie's mouth next.

“Hey BeeJ, I'm stealing Adeline from you for a bit.” she grinned at him evilly while taking my arm from him and leading me down the hall to my room. Though she must think my skin is like ice. It always is and I just guess that Billie doesn't notice anymore.
She grinned when she saw Checkers. She pet him before turning to me with a sleek smile.

“Ok, let's talk.” she laughed and plopped down on the bed. I followed suit.

“Well, Billie... For some reason, chose to tell me and me only prior to this night that you were an escapee from the hospital. That is true right? Because BeeJ is well known for stretching the truth.” she rolled her eyes playfully at the mention of her younger brother.

I nodded slowly while a smile crept across my face.
“Yeah. Um, I can't remember my past, I have amnesia and I can only remember some things, though recently I have been recovering a few memories like my name and stuff. But I can't remember what put me Into the hospital.” I grimaced and stared down at the white carpet. It shimmered slightly under the lights.

At first I thought she hadn't heard me until I glanced over at her and her expression was appraising.
“I'm gonna say this, no matter how odd it will sound, thats honestly amazing that you escaped a hospital.” she laughed freely and spent the following fifteen minutes quizzing me for every detail of my escape. Though it had been a week ago now, and I was really drugged up then, I didn't have a whole lot of details, but still enough to give her a glimpse at my known past. We got up and walk back to the living room when we heard the doorbell ring. I hung back a few steps behind Hollie as she opened the door. Half expecting to see Billie's older brother, Dave, to be someone who looked remotely like an Armstrong. But instead it was a tall man in about his late fifties. Wearing a leather jacket, boots, jeans, a regular flannel button up shirt and a smug look on his face. Though I don't even know for sure if this is Brad, I already hate him. His expression looks, looks so sure of himself. Like he's already moving in. Hollie threw me a quick look of concern over her shoulder as if to get a second opinion on the guy. 

“Erm, Uh hi, I'm Hollie, Ollie's daughter, you must be B—”
She held out her hand awkwardly when he cut her off.

“Hm, yep that's great, now if I could just see Ollie.” he said excusing himself and walking into our home right around her without being offered it. She cut a quick glare at his back as she shut the door and before Ollie entered the living room.

I shot her a look and went to go find Billie. He was in the kitchen shooting the shit with Alan while stirring some soup in a pot on top of the stove. I tapped on his shoulder, but I knew already that nothing could have prepared him for my next words.

“Brad's here.” I whispered to him between clenched teeth hoping he'd catch the drift that I didn't like him already. He threw me a quick look before nodding stiffly and abandoning the stove and gliding out of the kitchen to see this Brad. I followed closely on his heels to see the showdown between the two. Praying that there wouldn't be one tonight for Ollie's sake. But still just from what I got from Brad, he wasn't exceptionally wonderful.

Ollie gushed over him, and now that she was here in the same room as him, he was a completely different guy. Checkers was sniffing his hand and he was petting Checkers on the head while Ollie cooed to my dog. But I reached for his collar anyways and drew him back away from the stranger, since he was only used to me, Ollie and Billie. However I really could care less if Checkers took a nice chunk out of him.

“Oh no, I don't mind him none.” he said kindly behind a false smile, I smiled back as convincingly as I could and shrugged 

“He's vicious.”

“Don't need the dog ripping out your ass now do we?” Billie muttered under his breath.

Brad laughed and turned back to Ollie so she could introduce us all, six of us to Brad. Dave hadn't arrived yet.

“This is Marci, Anna, Hollie, Alan, Adeline and Billie.” she smiled at each of us in turn.

“I thought you said you had three boys?” he asked.

“I do. Dave hasn't arrived yet, and Adeline isn't my daughter, she is Billie's girlfriend.”

That sort of felt like a stab through chest. The way she said 'she isn't my daughter' made it sound like she was embarrassed to even have to relate me to herself. Now I know she is nervous, but seriously? She didn't have to present it like that. I shrugged it off and dropped my eyes to the carpet and kept them there even after the front door opened for the final time tonight and the man I assumed to be Dave walked in. Greeting everyone and walking right past Brad and Ollie without a second glance to me and Billie. 

“So I hear Bill gave ya checkers.” he beamed proudly as he knelt beside the dog and patted his head.

I cleared my throat “Mm, yes.”

“That's good, he doesn't look as vicious as he did when I left him here with mom, does he BeeJ?” he asked glancing up at Billie.

Billie nodded. “Yeah, Adeline here softened him up.” he rolled his eyes and wrapped an arm around my shoulder and drawing me into his chest.

“Adeline huh? Pretty name.” he stood up and offered me his hand “I'm Billie's second oldest brother, Dave.”
He grinned.

I couldn't help but grin back “It's nice to meet you.”

He nodded “You too, but y'know? Funny conwinkidink, two weeks ago a girl from around this area named Adeline went missing.” he shrugged as he said it nonchalantly and wished us a goodnight as he went to greet Brad. Dave struck me as the kind of guy everyone liked and everyone got along with. The jock at school who did all the sports and had a kind spirit, and was never very popular for it. But regardless I liked him.

Billie gave me a concerned look at the mention of Dave's story, and I began to wonder if it had been me, ya know, the real me.

Ollie called in all the siblings to the kitchen for dinner. The table was noticeably longer by three leafs. I watched Billie lug the wooden slabs out of the cellar while she stood aside calling out directions and warnings while cheering him on. Because let's be honest here, with me and Ollie together, we wouldn't have been able to get one. He also helped bring up some spare chairs from the cellar. The one room of the house I'd never been to. I wondered if I'd even want to, and shuttered at the thought. Ollie made us pray together though according to Billie, they never do. Because his dad was catholic, and his mom had always been some kind of Christian. But still, he said it was a rare occasion. So perhaps she was just showing off a little to Brad. But hell, I do t mind. I'm extremely grateful to God for all he has done for me. So I gladly smiled while I bowed my head during the prayer.

We all seated around the table then. Brad at the head, then clockwise it went Anna, Alan, Marci, Hollie, Dave, me, Billie, Ollie and then back to Brad. Who thought he was some kind of king and looked flattered being at the head of the table. While under Billie's breath I'd heard him mutter “Stop flattering yourself, you won't be here forever.”

Ollie had served the roast she'd made earlier today and the soup Billie had been stirring before Brad got here, and the salad full of vegetables that I'd seen Billie dicing this afternoon after he had to kick out Tré and Mike. It must be off for him right now, to be eating a meal without them here. I'll admit I felt the absence too. We togejter ate in silence while Ollie was making weak attempts to get her children to make conversation with Brad. If it wasn't obvious before that they hated him, it sure was now when they'd politely decline all of his questions and avoid eye contact or look past his face when he was speaking to them. The table eventually fell into the comfortable, for me anyways, silence of forks scraping against china plates and the light tap of glasses being sat back down. It was quiet and peaceful until I noticed something. Brad, he kept looking at Billie. But not his face, his eyes kept wandering upwards from his eyes and fixing atop Billie's sapphire blue hair. Though Billie hadn't noticed it once that last three times he'd done it, I caught him every single time, only Brad never noticed me either. The look he gave Billie was disapproving for the fact he'd dyed it an unnatural color.

“So Billie.” Ollie began, clearing her throat and breaking the cozy silence in the room.

He looked up to his mom as if to ask her to continue.

“You dyed your hair today, any particular reason you chose blue?” she laughed lightly and took a drink.

Billie shrugged and avoided eye contact “It was kind of a... I don't know, a spark of the moment decision to dye it. Mike and Tré helped with it.” he shrugged it off nonchalantly, though I could tell that the last part was a jab at his mother for having kicked the. Out before dinner so Brad wouldn't have to meet his 'punk' friends.

Ollie forced a smile for her son “Well I-” she paused and changed her mind “I think it's great.”

The table fell back into it's normal lapse of silence.  I began to wonder how alive it'd be right now if Mike and Tré were here. Mike would be telling the story to everyone about how he'd gotten the nickname Dirnt. Though I know they've probably heard it a thousand plus times, and Tré would be telling us stories of his crazy antics like him catching his pants on fire on numerous occasions and stuff like that. Maybe that's why Ollie labeled them as an 'undesirable' meet for Brad. I shrugged and got up to help Ollie with dishes when everyone was done. A lot of them drifted off to be away from Brad. Since they were all here roe their mothers support anyways.

I walked into the living room while approaching Billie leaning against the far wall minding his own business, Brad walked up to him and rested a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

“Can I help you?” he asked sarcastically while shrugging out from under it.

“I've got a question son.” Brad proposed simply.

“Don't call me son.” his eyes narrowed.

“So why did you dye your hair if you don't mind my asking of course.” Brad laughed, but once again it sounded false.

“Well actually I do mind and it is none of your fucking business. But since you asked me so kindly.” Billie cut him back a false, cheeky grin. “I did it because I wanted too.”

Brad let out a loud laugh “Really? Cause you know what? It makes you look like a fucking Smurf.” he laughed like it was nothing and began walking away, though I could tell it had hurt Billie regardless.
Then he leapt forward and his fingers barely grazing the back of Brad's back when I yanked him back and gave him a stern look. Then brad spun around to confront Billie on his actions. Looking him blunt in the eye when Checkers came out of nowhere and jumped up, latching onto the fabric of Brads shirt and ripping a big hole, revealing a tattoo on his hip that said 'Mom' in a heart. I snorted a laugh at the sight of it and then before I could do anything else, Brad kicked Checkers and he howled in pain.

I yelled a profanity and reached down to pull him back towards me so Mr. Sr, Fuck-a-lot can't hurt my baby anymore. I hugged the big dog against the chest as I knelt beside him and glared up at Brad who was laughing like were were joking. I know that I've been nipping at Billies heels today about being nice to Brad. But shit, the guy needs his head knocked in.

The siblings were all frozen watching this unfold.
I jumped forward, uncontrolled by myself and grabbed the collar of his shirt and shook him. Slamming him against the wall.

“DON'T-EVER-FUCKING-TOUCH MY DOG! PULL THAT SHIT AGAIN AND I'LL KNOCK YOUR FUCKING TEETH OUT!” I yelled in his face. Giving him another good slam before a arm knotted around my waist and pulled me off of him. I spun around to face a snickering Billie. Ollie came out of the bathroom then. The scene didn't look good. Checkers was laying on the floor, he didn't look badly hurt but still, chewing on the piece of blue flannel fabric from Brads torn short in his mouth. Brad was out of breath. Cutting glared at me before he yelled at Ollie 

“Why don't you teach your kids some manners? This one fucking attacked me!” he said gesturing to me.

Ollie looked genuinely hurt ad she looked at me. Her hand hovered over her mouth in shock.

“Adeline...?” she whispered while I was still trying to process this whole thing.

“Ollie! You need to listen to me, this douchb—”

“Adeline! No.” she closed her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose for a fee moments before she opened them and looked at me with those sad eyes.

“Adeline. Go. Just please go somewhere else for tonight if you cannot contain yourself.” she gave me a stern expression.

“But—”

“Go!” she yelled finally.

“Mom, Seriously, you've gotta listen here.” Billie began.

“You know what Billie Joe? You go too. You can go hang out with her at Gilman or something.” 

”Mom, we all witnessed it.” Dave said to Ollie.

“Why can't any little piece of happiness I have go as planned? You kids are still the same immature, lying things you were in the 70's!” she roared and the whole room fell silent. Hurt spread across their faces. I could see tears in Hollie's eyes that this... This was her love brain washed mother choosing a lying stranger over the certain truth.

Hollie darted towards the couch and threw her jacket of her arm and grabbed her purse and opened the front door and disappeared into the night without another word. Alan and Anna followed suit. Their car headlights dancing across the blinds on the front windows as they pulled out and disappeared. Going back to their homes where their lifes mean something.

I looked away from Ollie and got Checkers leash and pulled on my jacket. Leading my dog out into the cool Californian night without a second glance.

Tears sprung to my eyes and I felt ridiculous. Standing up for myself that way? Who was I to think women can ever be defiant to the men who define us? he would have continued picking on everyone else until we'd left on our own accord. But I wanted to walk back in there and just scream in everyones face. But that wont help anything. At all. I need to disappear for a little while. It's clear to me now that I don't belong. I'll never be as good as the born in Armstrong's. Because when your tired of me, you can kick me to the curb like a stray dog,

That's exactly was I am. A stray who was never supposed to have a home. A stray dog. A stray heart.

Billies POV:

I looked at the now closed door. Adeline had disappeared out it less then a minute ago and now Ollie is trying to apologize to me that it was a spur of the moment thing. But what she said to all of us is unforgivable. And what really pisses me off right now, is that she hasn't even given asking Brad to leave a second thought. She doesn't want him to leave. She has never been one to be able to cope with being alone well.

I blocked out all her apologies and grabbed my leather jacket off the arm of the couch and pulled it on. Ignoring the remaining people in the room as I swept across the living room and ducked out the front door.
The evening was cool considering how warm it'd been today. But it wasn't freezing. I wasn't all too concerned for myself when Adeline is out there all alone. And the worst part is that, I have no idea where she'd run to in a situation like this for some closure. Was there anywhere? Or did she keep running like she did the night she escaped from the hospital?

I began jogging down the street from my house that went north. I went two blocks before I paused to pull open the front door of Gilman. Though I'd only brought her here once, it was a possibility that she could be here.

My eyes scanned across all the tables throughout the room. Of course I knew just about everyone here, but I didn't see her. I looked at all the crowded bar stools along the counter where teenage punks drank the 'punk approved' Hansen's pop.

I saw Tim Armstrong hanging out with his band members in a booth across the room and started towards them. Tim, or 'lint' was the only one in Gilman who'd ever met Adeline. Of course that was before she could speak or even knew her name. But still... Maybe he can help.

“Hey Lint!” I called to him as I approached him. All out of breath from having run the two blocks from my house. He gave me a weird look because I rarely run. But he shrugged it off with a “What can I do for you tonight Armstrong?” he beamed.

I rolled my eyes at his chosen nickname for me. Though we were not related, he still makes a bit joke of us both having the same last name. But I really don't feel like getting into this tonight.

“Have you seen Adeline?” I asked quickly.

He cocked an eyebrow “Adeline? What is that? Some cooler version of Gilman?” he laughed loudly at his own joke.

“No, hmm it's that girl. I brought her in her a week or so ago and you met her. She's going through amnesia and all that crap and we all had a big blowout at my house and shit and I don't know where she went.” I finished out of breath.

“Holy crap! Seriously?” he asked.

I nodded.

“Do you need help finding her?” he offered.

I shook my head “No. I need to go look around some basic places she might be. She took her dog with her.”. I rolled my eyes “So I'm gonna go check around and if I can't find her I'll be back.” I was already walking towards the exit while calling this over my shoulder. 

“I'll be here all night for you man!” he called back.

I ducked out the door into the night again and tore off running for the beach. My heart beating fast, but not from all this running. But from the thought... What if I can't find her?... I mean yes, Rodeo is an incredibly small town but still. There are a lot of thugs and shit like that out at this time of night 

And that thought, pushed me to run faster. Towards the glittering sand of the beach where I pray shell be. But what if I'm wrong?
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo! Ok that was a long one and I'm a little late posting it because I've been dealing family stress and drama, ect. You get the point. Anyways, a nice look at the different shades of Brad and how Ollie is when she is around him. She is usually carefree and rarely raised her voice. But she needs to act like a responsible parent for Brad *rolls eyes* haha
Anyways, here's the new chapter Abd now I'm sucked into doing the next one because ro be quite honest, I wanna know what becomes of this.